Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,557,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Not only that, but because it is the woman's prerogative to carry a child to term or not, even if the father wants her to have an abortion, he is forced to pay child support because of HER choice.
It is also the man's prerogative to use a condom. She does not owe him the convenience of aborting her child when they BOTH engaged in unprotected sex. Yes, boo-boo's happen, but that is also a risk you take. Either way it is usually the ass who didn't wear a condom, because he was so intent on busting a nut, that will embrace this mentality.

Quote:
I think that if a man submits, in writing, a legally binding statement relinquishing all rights as a father before the child is born, AND before the latest time at which an abortion is possible so that the woman can still change her mind, he should not be forced to pay child support.
If he plays he should pay, but I agree that he should give up his parental rights and get lost. He'd have nothing valuable to contribute to that child to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:12 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,513,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Are you angry?
Angry at stupidity

Old 03-18-2010, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,423 times
Moderator cut: Deleted inflammatory comments.

I'm glad you (Mearth) feel sorry that the dad has to do some extra work...but did you ever think that it was his choice and maybe he loves her enough to do this for her? If your spouse became paralyzed after you were already married to them, would you just cast them aside like garbage because YOU had to do extra work? Millions of women, because of Moderator cut: snip men have had to:

-Take care of, and do everything for, their husbands (my sister picks out her husband's clothes for him every day! My best friend's husband has never even taken a dish from the table to the sink!)
-Take care of babies - all by themselves (there are lots of men out there who never so much as change a diaper)
-Financially support their lazy husbands (and this paralyzed woman isn't "laying around in bed all day" - SHE CAN'T MOVE, and I bet she'd give everything to be able TO MOVE)
-Caught up at work after they have had 6 weeks off WITH an infant at home they are thinking about and missing - because they have to work too.

It isn't about giving this poor man credit. I watched the special too. They met, fell in love, and they made a choice to do what they did.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-18-2011 at 10:19 AM..

Old 03-18-2010, 08:31 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,123,519 times
You're the person posting on a year old thread. Is there a purpose for digging up this thread or did you simply want to call people names on a year old thread?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,663 times
I've noticed that the son is more attached to the attendant than Michelle. Did anyone else noticed that? When she supposedly "picked" up her son from school, he more enthusiatically hugged and jumped on the attendant than his own mother. Even though the attendant didn't give birth to him, I believe he views her a more mother figure then the lady in the wheelchair who basically talks about her feelings and herself than really anything else.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,651,501 times
I'm sorry and I know I'm going to get a LOT of flack about the following but I just need to put it out there. If I had not had children and God forbid, ended up in a wheelchair having to rely on others for my care there is NO WAY IN HECK that I would consider having a child. If I can't be there to do for my child on my own two legs (sorry), then I don't want to burden anyone else and MOSTLY MY CHILD when they get old enough to care for me as well.

I think it's incredibly selfish. I remember seeing a story on a woman, she was basically a half a woman, she decided to get preggers and she can't even hold her own baby for a length of time due to his weight. How on earth are you going to tell me that this is fair to the child, the family and friends who this person who is otherwise unable to care for themselves to go ahead and have a baby.
I think it's sad.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,246 times
It's not like Paul didn't know what he was getting into when he married Michelle, and if HE didn't want a child and the obvious extra burdens that it would entail, then he had a choice there too, like just say NO, use a condom, etc. It's not like she could force him into having relations resulting in a pregnancy in her condition. I think you're giving him maybe a bit too much credit. The marriage didn't even last 4 yrs from the time they married to the filing for divorce. Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine the responsibility he had to face everyday, but like I said, it was his choice too. I think that the "having a child" decision was somewhat of a poor choice on both of their parts considering her physical status prior to the pregnancy, and the obvious major complications it caused during her pregnancy that still plague her now. It's not just one persons fault or choice. They made these decisions TOGETHER! I'm saddened that they have split up and are divorcing. Especially for Michelle. I wouldn't want to be in her situation nor would I wish that on anyone. I'm glad that having that child has brought her so much joy in a life that must be so difficult to face and live day in and day out. I am physically disabled, no where near her severity and nor was it due to an accident, but I do know how difficult life can be when you can't function and do all the things that you use to, and that many healthy people can and often times do take for granted. I know I did before my life changed due to my physical limitations caused by medical conditions and numerous diagnosis that were not of my own doing and completely out of my control. I guess in closing I want to say that I do feel that some guys get a "raw deal" as quoted Mearth on 4/13/09, but as we all know, it takes two to tango..... And with that I think enough has been said regarding this issue. Let's just let these people get on with their lives as best they can, especially for their little boy! I wish them both peace, the best of luck, and God bless...

Old 04-18-2011, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,246 times
Default You Said A Mouthful!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I saw the special...

Who the hell forced that man to marry her?
Who the hell forced him to impregnate her?

No one!

I'm so glad you said that! I so wanted to, but I was afraid of being stoned by a bunch of men!!! I saw both specials, the first one with the wedding and birth of the baby and now this last one "4 yrs later".

I'm saddened that they divorced. There seem to be no specifics out there as to why, but I'm sure the gravity of the entire situation especially after that beautiful baby boy was born was the point that pushed Paul over the edge as far as ALL of his responsibilities.

It's a sad situation all the way around. And here I thought that there really are happy endings for people in such dire and unimaginable situations. I'm a sucker for a happy ending, and obviously this wasn't one of them, but that little boy is a gift and a joy and a blessing, make no misatke about that!!!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,095,551 times
Quote:
I was flipping channels tonight, and caught a special on TLC about this woman:

Michelle Carston (http://www.thespeakfoundation.com/dnn/StoriesofStrength/MichelleCarston/tabid/71/Default.aspx - broken link)

Note that in the interview, she makes no mention of her husband.

The man who married her after she was paralyzed, knowing he would be her caretaker.

The man who now, because SHE wanted to be a mother, has to take care of their baby practically by himself.

The man whose job makes it possible for her to lie in bed or in her wheelchair all day and rely on an attendant to do the physical work of motherhood.

The man who had to face the stress of catching up on 6 weeks of work after his paternity leave.

He DOES seem happy to be a father, but he also seems especially stressed and exhausted.

I feel for her situation, too, of course, but having a child was her choice, and she talks about her OWN strength nonstop.

She HAS to be strong. HE didn't have to be - he chose to be, for her. He deserves way more credit, IMO.

He deserves an applaud..Lets hope he gets the recognizition he surely well deserves..

Old 04-18-2011, 11:51 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
The man who now, because SHE wanted to be a mother, has to take care of their baby practically by himself....

... The man whose job makes it possible for her to lie in bed or in her wheelchair all day and rely on an attendant to do the physical work of motherhood.
That is the most incredibly selfish thing I have ever read in my life.

Un-effing-believable.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships