Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Well - it's only low in the front. The back is on a rake!
True 70's ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Yes - we like to refer to it as the "Cheech and Chong mobile".

Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
And you call yourself a respectable grown adult. How could you? Think of Jesus for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes - we like to refer to it as the "Cheech and Chong mobile".

Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
First of all, you can tell less about financial status than you think---and more about financial responsibility. People who are actually well off drive conservative, practical cars. People who are financially irresponsible drive showy sporty cars.
Disagree. People who are well off have cars that are well off, regardless of whether it's "conservative" or "flashy". You could buy a used "flashy" car for $7k, or a new "conservative" car for over $20k. Do the math.

Quote:
Unless the car is very new, go around and look at the tires. If all four tires are exactly the same (brand, size, style, treadwear, etc.), then the car owner is attentive to the details of sound maintenance. He keeps his tires balanced, rotated, and inflated properly, and when he needs new tires, buys all four at once. (If you're every buying a used car, use this to judge the car's past care.) He will maintain his home and his family and his affairs with the same attention to detail.
No...it means he loves his car and/or is meticulous. Doesn't necessarily translate to family management. In fact, if a guy is metrosexual about his car maintenance, he's likely heard complaints from his significant other about not spending adequate time with the family.

Quote:
A man will expect his wife to look like his car. If he wants his car to be a perpetually waxed and polished showpiece, you had better have a good sense of style fashion yourself, because he will not tolerate you with a hair out of place.
We don't like females to look like vehicles...that's what got R. Kelly in trouble wanting his females to be like Jeeps.

A guy liking a neat female has nothing to do with what kind of car he drives.

Quote:
If he is politically left, his car will be simple reliable transportation---his car will be a useful tool, not a fun toy. It will probably be a Japanese import, and probably bought second-hand. If he is politically right, he will drive an American make, and it will be important for him to have a new one frequently.
Ludicrous. Not even worth a response.

Quote:
Machismo can easily be detected in his vehicle. If he has a pickup truck and has never had anything in the bed except a bag of groceries, he's macho.
Negative. A "macho" guy can drive a Toyota Camry just as often as would drive a lifted F150. As I said, if you're smart, you'd rather pay less than more for a vehicle, which means you take what you get sometimes.

Quote:
If he drives a sporty model, the dealers see him coming, and know there is one born every minute. If you marry him, feel free to waste all the money you want on frivolous purchases, he'll see nothing wrong with that.
Bull. I drive a "sporty" car, and lack of strong financial planning and management is an instant deal breaker in relationships, even with your own money, if you blow it on nonsense ($200 sunglasses, for example), we aren't talking.

Quote:
If his car is not in good repair, but runs, he has a "good enough" attitude and takes life as it is handed out. This can be a good thing, because he will also not be demanding of his wife and will not expect perfection from her, and overlook her weaknesses if everything else is going OK. And not be in a hurry to trade her in on a better model.
Bull.

The economy negates that theory by a factor of 5. Just because the car is not in good repair now, doesn't mean he's not wanting a new car, or to get it fixed. Either the money is tight, or he just isn't ready to buy yet. Also, just because someone drives a bucket doesn't mean he won't dump you like a bucket of slop if you're not in order.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 PM

262 posts, read 781,874 times
I used to buy Federal surplus vehicles all the time and I traded surplus items with the Amish, So I tow a large gas powered generator to my Amish friend and start negotiations when a younger Amish man takes the leader aside and start speaking German. Later the leader came over and explained with a large disbelieving grin the story. It seems like the young guy (maybe 19) said that I must be fairly poor since I have a old US Fish and Wildlife Suburban, The leader is practically laughing retold that he told the kid I was quite shrewd and had lots of money, which is why I drive cheap trucks.

So if this is a benchmark, I have no chance with the Amish babes

Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
But, what do we own? The dreaded Dodge Caravan (automatic). It is fuglllllyyyyy.
Is it blue? We have the standard issue blue Dodge Grand Caravan, with goldfish crackers in the seats and a bumper sticker that says, "Honk if one of the kids falls out."

Our other car is a gold Ford Contour. Pretty much the unsexiest car ever. It's the antisexy. But it's paid off and runs fine and only has 100K miles despite being 12 years old. I think the teenager is going to inherit that one.

My first car was a Camaro. It was fun to drive. I miss that car.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The most unsexy car is the PT Cruiser LOL!!! Who's with me on that one?? huh huh...haaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Is it blue? We have the standard issue blue Dodge Grand Caravan, with goldfish crackers in the seats and a bumper sticker that says, "Honk if one of the kids falls out."

Our other car is a gold Ford Contour. Pretty much the unsexiest car ever. It's the antisexy. But it's paid off and runs fine and only has 100K miles despite being 12 years old. I think the teenager is going to inherit that one.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Mine has "Proud Parent of a U.S. Sailor" Drove it to exactly 100,000 miles and parked it.

Quote:
Same here! 1967... also blue.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:05 PM

200 posts, read 1,067,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My boyfriend and I both autocross. He's done many track events. Eventually I'll check one out. I just don't feel like driving all the way to the Poconos for one. I want to try rallycross too. I'm not interested in going to the drag strip.
I kinda sensed that haha. Are you in NJ? I did Watkins Glenn, Poconos, VIR, Limerock. Poconos is not too bad if you have autox skills, we beat a lot of season drivers there on our first day out. I even did an FTD on a cold day(time trials). I used to have an 380HP Audi 1.8t, it was king before the Evo LOL

Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 PM

200 posts, read 1,067,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
The best places around here to run highspeed open road are hwy 408 south out of Irving toward I-20 west to 287 south to 67 north back to 20. 40 mile or so total distance you can average 130 or so depending on time of day. top speed runs I get to 170-180 but there are a couple places where you have to slow down to transition hwys.

What are you driving on the street?

FYI my G37 is putting 502hp to the street. Weighs roughly 3500lbs. The ECU has been flashed to run my twin turbos and high-flo exhaust, oh and to pull the governor off the programing.

Birthday present to myself. I was going to wait a while before I moded this one but since the wife is going to take half in the divorce I might as well spend as much as I can now.

nice car. I just moved to Texas so I only have my old school auto'xer (toyota starlet, 1700lbs in stock form). Sold my Audi before I left NJ. Bought the wife(and baby) their cars so I should be working on another car soon. I'm thinking a sleeper old school porsche or the 1series LOL still thinking of building a auto'xer to beat the 2-time SSM national champion, who happen to be Texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships