Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:26 PM

240 posts, read 1,289,949 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what females think about guys asking you out at the last minute. I have experienced this and I find it a little annoying. I remember one time I started dating this guy, who did this to me all the time. One time he called me at 7:00 on a Friday night to ask me if I wanted to go to a 7:30 movie. I said, "no". For 1 thing I wouldn't have made it on time with just 30 mins to prepare and drive there. Furthermore,I think it is inconsiderate. It makes it seem like the person is an after thought like you couldn't find anyone better to hang out with. I am all for spontaneity but when you first meet someone and you are trying to get to know them I think you should give them a little notice. For example,If I wanted to hang out with a guy over the weekend I might mention it on Wednesday or Thursday to see if they are available. It's just common courtesy....I think. I was just wondering what other people think. I would appreciate guys point of view as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 PM

28,937 posts, read 30,297,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
I was just wondering what females think about guys asking you out at the last minute. I have experienced this and I find it a little annoying. I remember one time I started dating this guy, who did this to me all the time. One time he called me at 7:00 on a Friday night to ask me if I wanted to go to a 7:30 movie. I said, "no". For 1 thing I wouldn't have made it on time with just 30 mins to prepare and drive there. Furthermore,I think it is inconsiderate. It makes it seem like the person is an after thought like you couldn't find anyone better to hang out with. I am all for spontaneity but when you first meet someone and you are trying to get to know them I think you should give them a little notice. For example,If I wanted to hang out with a guy over the weekend I might mention it on Wednesday or Thursday to see if they are available. It's just common courtesy....I think. I was just wondering what other people think. I would appreciate guys point of view as well.
I agree, but I also think you should have told him what you wrote here. Makes ya kinda feel like he called everyone else he knew first. And I'm probably wrong, but, the fact remains, it is very non-thinking.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,551,467 times
For where I live, it's can be common for that to happen. Usually it's a group thing that gets decided at the last minute and guys call their girlfriends. It works here because most can get to the theater in 5 minutes.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,792,061 times
Maybe he was running through his little black book and you were way down on the list. Not saying that to be mean, but he may have exhausted other options before finally calling on you.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:01 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,342,858 times
I would say No to last minute requests. If I'm important enough to ask out on a date then I'm important enough to call a day or two ahead of time. I think last minute requests are inconsiderate.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,649,445 times
When I was single I would get that last minute stuff sometimes. and, sometimes I would say yes to their offer. I mean, if it's like a dinner date or something nice then yes, you obviously want a little heads up for that situation but if someone says you know something like, hey lets go grab a beer, I'm not very inclined to get dressed up or "ready" for that date. So, I would say it depended on the situation. Preferably a little advanced notice is appreciated.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,869 times
Why not look at it in a positive way? IDK all the background but it seem plausible that he got free and wanted to see you so he called and asked.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:35 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,581,681 times
Some of my most fun times were those last minute, unplanned things.. If I was free at that time, I always did it..

Old 05-02-2009, 01:35 PM

22,247 posts, read 19,253,131 times
Last minute requests don't show a lot of respect or regard for the person's time, schedule, life, or other plans

Yes there are spontaneous last minute plans that can be fun
but if the pattern is ALWAYS to be the last minute date, it says to me the person is calling me only because nothing better panned out

i had a friend (not a dating relationship, just a friend) who was very up front about this. She would line up three or 4 different plans with different people and then decide at the last minute who she "really" wanted to be with, and then cancel the others last minute. TO me that is really disrespectful. SHe didn't see it that way. SHe said she wouldn't know who she felt like spending time with until that time came. To me it is an utterly self-absorbed and egocentric outlook.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:03 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,687,289 times
Probably the best date I was ever on was a last minute deal. Both us were finishing work and we'd had a prosperous day so I asked and we both went home and got ready and away we went. No big deal.

I can understand if a woman gets asked out at the last second all the time, but I think you have to balance it with a bit of spontaneity. I have known girls in the past that always require "booking" well in advance, so they fall off my list quickly. Just not interested in someone that fixed in everything they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships