Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 11:28 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,161,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If uncircumcised men are so unclean, why is it that women are the ones going to the Dr. with yeast infections, urinary tract infections, and trich,? there must a lot of stuff getting trapped in those folds too but nobody has considered cutting them off.
Umm... let's see. I've only been with cut men and I've never had a yeast infection, urinary tract infection or trich.

But of those infections, maybe some of that bacteria is trapped in the foreskin folds and through sexual intercourse the bacteria is pushed all the way deep inside the vag to multiply and infect the woman. Yeast infections and trich are infections that would be deep inside the vag. The urinary tract infections are up the urethra. The greater the bacteria count, the greater the chance of infection that gets past the body's natural immune defense systems.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:42 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventist View Post
Quote:
About 30% of men are estimated to be circumcised worldwide, although this rate is still less than 20% in Europe. In European countries, MC is uncommon, but also the prevalence of HIV is lower than Africa. Therefore, encouraging male circumcision in Europe is unlikely to be a reasonable measure for HIV prevention purposes.
Why then would that not be a reasonable measure in one place if it is everywhere else?
As miu correctly noted previously in this thread, in places where clean water and frequent bathing are impossible and/or not a social custom -- and billions of people live in such conditions -- circumcisions would tend to provide more public health benefit since men in these places would not properly clean under the foreskin, which is, of course, a potential breeding ground for disease.

Furthermore, the epidemiology of the spread of HIV varies from community to community. It some places HIV is spread mostly via unprotected heterosexual intercourse; in other places it's homosexual intercourse; in still others it's via I.V. drug use (of course, in many places -- such as the U.S. -- its a combination of the three). In communities where HIV is spread primarily via heterosexual intercourse, routine circumcision would tend to have the most benefit. In places where HIV is spread via I.V. drug use then circumcision's public health benefit would be more limited.

At the individual level, however, the data are unambiguous: circumcision reduces the risk of contracting and spreading STD's. Whether one believes the procedure is worth the reduced exposure risk is, obviously, a personal choice. But the health benefits of circumcision can now only be denied by those who refuse to accept basic medical research.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
If uncircumcised men are so unclean, why is it that women are the ones going to the Dr. with yeast infections, urinary tract infections, and trich,? there must a lot of stuff getting trapped in those folds too but nobody has considered cutting them off.
Your post reveals a level of ignorance about human anatomy and biology that simply defies a reasoned response.

Last edited by professorsenator; 05-24-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 11:47 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Same reason they see more STD's with uncut men. Because there's theory and common practice. Sure you CAN stay clean and you CAN use condoms to prevent the spread of disease but, reality is, people don't.

The question is whether I want to put my health in the hands of my partner's personal hygiend. The FACT they find more infections and STD's and higher rates of cervical cancer in partners of uncut men says a lot about what really goes on. There's theory and there's practice. Practice isn't living up to they hype of theory in this case.

Unfortunately, our folds only help us when we're not having sex. We're at the mercy of a partner's personal hygiene when we do. I mean, you don't know where that thing's been

The only way having those folds would help us against STD's is if they prevented penetration. We are, unfortunately, the ones who end up with bodily fluids and all that come with them deposited inside of our bodies.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Your post reveals a level of ignorance about human anatomy and biology that simply defy a reasoned response.
Our folds are intended to keep things out when we're not having sex not to provide a breeding ground for bacteria. We'd be worse off without them not better. Plus, cutting them, as has been seen in countries that practice female circumcision results in difficulty in birth. Scar tissue doesn't stretch to let a baby's head pass.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:58 AM
miu

I believe that several of the problems with Africa and their AIDS epidemic are that the men are very resistant to using condoms. And African men are desirous of families with many children as it proves how manly he is. Regular condom use gets in the way of making babies. In addition, culturally when a man dies, his brother marries the widow and takes over the husbandly duties. Polygamy is accepted. And if that man died of AIDS aka "Slim", his brother will most likely get AIDS from sleeping with his brother's widow/his new wife.

And it's very tragic that there is a popular myth going around in Africa where men believe that the cure for AIDS is sleeping with a virgin.

I was thinking that the men in Africa would listen better to advice given by black men they respect, rather than white doctors, and volunteer workers, Bono or the Pope. So perhaps Obama should make some public service message about AIDS for the African natives.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I believe that several of the problems with Africa and their AIDS epidemic are that the men are very resistant to using condoms. And African men are desirous of families with many children as it proves how manly he is. Regular condom use gets in the way of making babies. In addition, culturally when a man dies, his brother marries the widow and takes over the husbandly duties. Polygamy is accepted. And if that man died of AIDS aka "Slim", his brother will most likely get AIDS from sleeping with his brother's widow/his new wife.

And it's very tragic that there is a popular myth going around in Africa where men believe that the cure for AIDS is sleeping with a virgin.

I was thinking that the men in Africa would listen better to advice given by black men they respect, rather than white doctors, and volunteer workers, Bono or the Pope. So perhaps Obama should make some public service message about AIDS for the African natives.
Good point. Might be especially effective with his Kenyan roots.

Unfortunately, you're right on target with men taking their brother's wives and believing the cure for AIDS is sleeping with a virgin. All that results in is more women with AIDS.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:11 PM

23 posts, read 37,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It's amazing how defensive and even hostile uncut men are about defending their peni. Cut men are much more relaxed and accepting of both schools of thought.

So... how do you feel about vasectomies?
There's no hostility here. I'm confused at how people can willingly undergo surgery linked to a archaic practice that provided questionable "safety" in lieu of good hygiene. The study is conclusive, but the data is misleading. I think the world would be better served by safer sex alternatives as opposed to cosmetic surgery. It's a solution looking for a problem, not the other way around.

I don't think about vasectomies much, so I don't have any thoughts there.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I think the world would be better served by safer sex alternatives as opposed to cosmetic surgery. It's a solution looking for a problem, not the other way around.
The problem -- STD's such as HIV -- are very, very real. The perfect solution -- sex that is always consensual, always protected -- is never going to happen and refusing to embrace alternative to perfection will cost coutnless lives. We don't live in an ideal world where condoms are always easy to access and always used. Humans are imperfect, they aren't going to always clean themselves properly, they aren't going to always have protected sex, they aren't even always going to seek the consent of their sexual partner. Absent perfection, we should embrace reasonable alternatives, such as routine circumcision, which have the potential to save countless lives.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 PM
miu

Quote:
There's no hostility here. I'm confused at how people can willingly undergo surgery linked to a archaic practice that provided questionable "safety" in lieu of good hygiene. The study is conclusive, but the data is misleading. I think the world would be better served by safer sex alternatives as opposed to cosmetic surgery. It's a solution looking for a problem, not the other way around.

I don't think about vasectomies much, so I don't have any thoughts there.
The Jews practice circumcision, just as their Kosher law forbids them from eating pork. And both practices do have a merit under more primitive living circumstances. Thousands of years ago, there was no modern plumbing. And most villages weren't lucky enough to have an excess of clean water to bath with. And with pork, before people knew the science of healthy cooking, undercooked pork would make people sick and give them trichinosis parasites.

Circumcision is not some sort of frivolous cosmetic surgery like having a neck lift or nose job. And no one gets it done on their sons to make them have a more attractive looking penis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships