Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:48 PM

943 posts, read 3,163,104 times

Advertisements

A house on our street was for sale a few months ago, and a middle aged woman who was thinking of purchasing it, saw me outside and asked me if I could talk to her about the neighborhood. She told me that she would be a "stay at home Mom" and wanted to know if there were any other people like her on the street. I told her yes, about half the houses on the dead end street were occupied by stay at home Moms. The husbands must be making enough money to make it possible.

All the stay at Mom's are about the same age, race, social economic group and even look alike.

She seemed excited and asked if they talked and socialized in each others home or out in the street. I told her no. Instead they all appear to be inside all the time and I have never seen any examples of any of them socializing at all. In fact everyone seems isolated from each other.

Of course everyone would explain that everyone is so busy now days. But really? The kids are off at school during the day and the woman just sit inside doing what ever, even on nice days I never see anyone outside.

Why can't the women find something in common and spend a few minutes talking out on the street or on their yards like when I was a kid? I know they are really busy they say but does no one have a minute free when the kids are at home?

The woman thanked me and decided not to buy the home. Hopefully she will find a friendly neighborhood, where the stay at home Moms will visit across the fence. Or is that idea dead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,980,808 times
Maybe they are hiding deep dark secrets.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,695,417 times
There's always something to be done inside the home. When the kids are gone is their chance to clean the home and plan meals.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM

943 posts, read 3,163,104 times
Default Are they really all that busy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There's always something to be done inside the home. When the kids are gone is their chance to clean the home and plan meals.
You would think that at some point they would get bored being in the house and want to get outside in the sunshine and talk to someone. Would the chemistry have to be perfect? No. But couldn't they find something to talk about?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:59 PM

26 posts, read 73,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
A house on our street was for sale a few months ago, and a middle aged woman who was thinking of purchasing it, saw me outside and asked me if I could talk to her about the neighborhood. She told me that she would be a "stay at home Mom" and wanted to know if there were any other people like her on the street. I told her yes, about half the houses on the dead end street were occupied by stay at home Moms. The husbands must be making enough money to make it possible.

All the stay at Mom's are about the same age, race, social economic group and even look alike.

She seemed excited and asked if they talked and socialized in each others home or out in the street. I told her no. Instead they all appear to be inside all the time and I have never seen any examples of any of them socializing at all. In fact everyone seems isolated from each other.

Of course everyone would explain that everyone is so busy now days. But really? The kids are off at school during the day and the woman just sit inside doing what ever, even on nice days I never see anyone outside.

Why can't the women find something in common and spend a few minutes talking out on the street or on their yards like when I was a kid? I know they are really busy they say but does no one have a minute free when the kids are at home?

The woman thanked me and decided not to buy the home. Hopefully she will find a friendly neighborhood, where the stay at home Moms will visit across the fence. Or is that idea dead?
It really depends on the people. Some people are social butterflies, some are homebodies. Some feel that the work never ends, some like to relax alone. I don't feel inclined to have to talk to everyone in my cul de sac that I have something in common with.

A lot of SAHMs have a lot on their plate. Socializing and doing things for themselves becomes a low priority for some when there's a father and child (or children) involved.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,980,808 times
People are just very anti-social these days.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,208,032 times
Because they're all on the internet arranging trysts, mixing martinis, and indulging in lesbian love games that involve the slow shedding of tennis skirts and PTA role playing. Next question?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:08 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,514,508 times
maybe their sleeping with each others husband

Old 05-21-2009, 01:09 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,514,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Because they're all on the internet arranging trysts, mixing martinis, and indulging in lesbian love games that involve the slow shedding of tennis skirts and PTA role playing. Next question?
mmmmmm

Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

Unfortunately, most people spend an inordinate amount of time staring at either a computer or television screen. So outdoor activities unless they are "planned" are becoming more and more rare into day's soicety.

As for not having anything in common. It has been my experience that whenever mothers get together they are usually incapable of talking about anything EXCEPT their children. So somehow I do not think that would be a problem.

In the neighborhood that I came from (I have since moved out into the country), neighbors did not socialize simply because they did not like each other. Maybe that is the case in your neighborhood too.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships