Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Men pretend they don't do these things, but there are men who are just like the women they say are catty and competitive.
True. I've heard men say dumb little things, about other men, along the lines of, "yeah women always go for that type, ..." That's being competitive and mean. Putting down another dude, because of his style of dress, nice hair, height, fit body, etc. Men just don't realize they're doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Surround yourself with secure people who don't have anything they feel they have to prove to anybody, and you eliminate the majority of the petty, catty, competitive BS. A world of drama can be avoided by simply being choosy enough to spend your time with people who have their heads on straight.
And this applies to men as well...

It is VERY liberating to simply cut off people whose habits, attitudes, values, actions, words, etc. reflect a pattern of toxicity. I don't care about history, shared memories, etc. It may not feel good at first, but the long-term is important.

I'm not one to show "compassion" just because I share a past with somebody. If his/her antics are too much, regardless of gender, goodbye.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
That may be true, but in the long run, I don't think segregating the sexes is the best way to achieve legal, social and political equality, or professional parity. Most of the tension is a result of social conditioning. If girls weren't indoctrinated from the youngest age that they have to self-validate by marrying and reproducing, that would help a great deal. And if boys weren't indoctrinated from the youngest age that their worth as men is measured by how many women they've laid, that would help too.
Excellent observation. Unfortunately, this is the only rep I can give you.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscogeeButterfly View Post
True. I've heard men say dumb little things, about other men, along the lines of, "yeah women always go for that type, ..." That's being competitive and mean. Putting down another dude, because of his style of dress, nice hair, height, fit body, etc. Men just don't realize they're doing it.
Indeed. Why do so many straight men worry whether this or that article of clothing, or sunglasses, or haircut make them look "gay"? Because it's customary for mediocre-looking men to mock attractive ones (and most attractive people are so because they take care of their appearance) as "gay" -- the reality being that even in our enlightened age, this is still an insult. "Real men" don't have washboard abs, don't use cologne, don't wear pastels -- in reality, this is just the way so-called "real men" apply social pressure and tarnish the reputation of those more attractive and elegant than they are. Except, I don't think that "men just don't realize they're doing it" -- it's just that men enjoy the license to do many things without judgment, that women do not.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,190,145 times
Quote:
Indeed. Why do so many straight men worry whether this or that article of clothing, or sunglasses, or haircut make them look "gay"? Because it's customary for mediocre-looking men to mock attractive ones (and most attractive people are so because they take care of their appearance) as "gay" -- the reality being that even in our enlightened age, this is still an insult. "Real men" don't have washboard abs, don't use cologne, don't wear pastels -- in reality, this is just the way so-called "real men" apply social pressure and tarnish the reputation of those more attractive and elegant than they are. Except, I don't think that "men just don't realize they're doing it" -- it's just that men enjoy the license to do many things without judgment, that women do not.
God, here we go again. Seriously, more generalizations? Into the "whatever" bin with thee.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
It’s all about breeding rights, short and sweet.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
God, here we go again. Seriously, more generalizations? Into the "whatever" bin with thee.
Assuming you've read the article cited in the OP, I find it curious that you are complaining about "generalizations" now. As you may remember from reading the article, "b/tch" -- or some variation of it -- was the most common word used. It was awash in generalizations, yet it didn't seem to bother you. Treating generalizations as acceptable to describe women (negatively, of course), yet complaining of unfairness when statements are made about men; requiring women to tiptoe around disputing the most outrageous canards against them, while accepting those canards as gospel on the flimsiest of bases -- these are just garden-variety manifestations of the male privilege. Things are much better than they used to be, but the double standard is still very much alive in this society. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, I say. If you don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot -- tough.

Last edited by Redisca; 06-02-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Assuming you've read the article cited in the OP, I find it curious that you are complaining about "generalizations" now. "Whatever" bin, my foot.
Your foot, not mine. So the article's author, or OP's opinion of having one rationalizes you using one. Ok, good to go.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
Your foot, not mine. So the article's author, or OP's opinion of having one rationalizes you using one. Ok, good to go.
No, it's more of a reflection on where you stand with respect to generalizations. You don't have a problem with the article's generalizations -- correct?

I also dispute your understanding of what a "generalization" is. Making a statement about society's perception of certain conduct and actors does not generalize the extent to which people actually engage in that conduct. For example, it's more socially acceptable for men to disagree and argue. Nothing in that statement implies that men argue more than women, or that women don't argue, or whatever -- it merely conveys that such conduct is more socially acceptable in men. And is it not? How often do men get called "b/tchy", "catty", "hysterical" or "irrational" for disputing a statement made about them? But check out the comment section to that article -- those words get hurled at women all the time for having the temerity to suggest that they aren't "b/tches".

Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
No, it's more of a reflection on where you stand with respect to generalizations. You don't have a problem with the article's generalizations -- correct?
I don't even recall what the OP posted anymore, I took it as it came before, made a couple of comments on pages that I noted, replied, engaged in conversation, which you ignored for a tirade that lasted 6+ pages, so your just going at it to pick a new fight by the look of it, but I'm probably not ok with his sweeping ones either.

And I'm now out of work for the day, so lob a few at me for later tonight if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships