Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Actually, you're the one that brought up your mother. Read the post and check the time stamp. If a mod makes a cut, they usually note it. That's not to say I didn't have your mother in mind when speaking of your family members, but it certainly wasn't an attack on anyone's mother. And, if it's such sacred ground, then why do you speak so horrifically about her gender? You are the one embracing disrespect.
You mentioned my mother first, not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I am an individualist, and as such, I am not going to deny that some individuals suck. However, your comment that men are all averse to drama and gossip, and just "cool and chill" is ludicrous -- and patently contradicted by reality and thousands of years of history, which have been nothing if not violent and turbulent. If anything, history shows that men as a general rule are nothing like you described.
I was talking about social relations/interactions now, and I frankly think you went a bit too far in mentioning the Inquisition, history, etc.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I am an individualist, and as such, I am not going to deny that some individuals suck. However, your comment that men are all averse to drama and gossip, and just "cool and chill" is ludicrous -- and patently contradicted by reality and thousands of years of history, which have been nothing if not violent and turbulent. If anything, history shows that men as a general rule are nothing like you described.
OK...I think that when he posted that, he said that it was something he has heard women say. I've heard women say the same thing; doesn't mean I agree with such a generalization. But I do think there is something in the female psyche that somewhat plays into this behavior, just like there's something in the male psyche that makes them competitive as well.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah...some. This particular woman's behavior isn't indicative of most of my relations with other women.
And your use of the term some, points to that. Honestly, I find it sad that there are folk that have only one kind of experience with people.

Quote:
I do believe that she saw me as competition for male attention; she wanted that in her life even though she's married. I doubt she was looking to mess around on her husband..she just needed validation for what feminine charms she had. She also saw me as competition for the friendship of other women. She basically went after both a couple of my close women friends as well as the man I was dating at the time.

I have fought the impulse to put her in her place...which would be a piece of cake for me...because I realized that she's already there.
I have the same issue with my husband's ex-girlfriend. She's a pain the arse but I tolerate her. Honestly, she's a mental case and I try to muster compassion, which is one of the reasons I allow her to be a part of our lives. People turn out this way for good reasons and she's no exception. She's had it rough and in turn seeks self-worth/value in wrong ways.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OK...I think that when he posted that, he said that it was something he has heard women say. I've heard women say the same thing; doesn't mean I agree with such a generalization. But I do think there is something in the female psyche that somewhat plays into this behavior, just like there's something in the male psyche that makes them competitive as well.
Metlakatla! You spoiled it!

It's interesting that two women, one of whom makes a living by sniffing out BS, spent the last two hours vigorously dissecting that post and attempting to prove me wrong because they simply misinterpreted it.

I did hear women say that. To these Indignation Brigadiers/N.O.W. militants, the fact that I didn't specify that it's "some" or "a few" or "certain" made me guilty of demonizing all the women on Earth.

Thanks for getting it - it was amusing as long as it lasted.

Redisca and Braunwyn: you 2 are troopers.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
This is ridiculous lol. Please, show me the post. I admit that my memory could be off here. Is there a post before this one that I missed?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/9083469-post46.html

Old 06-01-2009, 02:18 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
I was talking about social relations/interactions now, and I frankly think you went a bit too far in mentioning the Inquisition, history, etc.
History is built on social relations and interactions. So the behavior of masses of men throughout history -- who were in charge for most of it, after all -- certainly disputes your assertion regarding men's propensity for drama, emotionalism, hostility, etc.

Quote:
Actually, she didn't. She said "women in your family" and "women in your life" -- not exactly an equivalent of specifying it down to "mother". And the first time she mentioned "mother", she didn't say anything offensive about her -- on the contrary, she chastised you for demonizing a group of which your mother is a member.

Anyway, you using the outrage over your mother as a pretext to attempt to divert the discussion away from the substance of your initial comment -- acting on the principle that, whatever the odds are, offense is the best defense. Your overreaction, therefore, was calculated. (I mean, to characterize it as spontaneous would require assuming that you are awfully emotional, and we couldn't have that, now, could we.) I don't know about others, but those kinds of tricks don't work on me.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have the same issue with my husband's ex-girlfriend. She's a pain the arse but I tolerate her. Honestly, she's a mental case and I try to muster compassion, which is one of the reasons I allow her to be a part of our lives. People turn out this way for good reasons and she's no exception. She's had it rough and in turn seeks self-worth/value in wrong ways.
Is there value in allowing your spouse's ex to be a part of your life and of his as well? I just hope you don't regret mustering compassion - if she's a "mental case," I speculate she wouldn't be as compassionate if she were in your position and you in hers.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
I did hear women say that. To these Indignation Brigadiers/N.O.W. militants, the fact that I didn't specify that it's "some" or "a few" or "certain" made me guilty of demonizing all the women on Earth.
If I said "We women are angels and all men are scum, always raping," without specifying "some", I'm sure you'd have a fit. Be honest now. And I could throw in, "Men told me this."

Old 06-01-2009, 02:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Is there value in allowing your spouse's ex to be a part of your life and of his as well? I just hope you don't regret mustering compassion - if she's a "mental case," I speculate she wouldn't be as compassionate if she were in your position and you in hers.
If there are children involved..yeah, there's value in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships