Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 21,542 times

Advertisements

Whenevr I try to talk, I approach him with a calm tone but it always escalates into a loud argument. He also has a temper. He has never hit me but has threatened to throw things at me. How can we talk if he behaves like a teenager and talks to me with an attitude. Those who know me know that I am a soft spoken person. We've been married for 7 years and perhaps he's just tired of me. All throughout our marriage I have asked him to help out with no change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And hopefully the relationship between you and the three boys is cool? Kudos to you!
the three kids (now grown) benefitted TREMENDOUSLY from the divorce.

It has been far better for them growing up to have access to each of their parents in separate households where they can live in peace and enjoy time and acitivities with their dad, with their mom, without the fighting and the upset.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
For instance, start by assigning him to take out the trash every day. That will be his one chore for a month or so. Praise him when he does it well. Make sure he knows this is his one responsibility. Then if he does well with that, add another, and then more until he's doing his fair share. Sometimes it's easy to get overwhelmed by housework, especially if he has no idea what he's doing.
Lol! This is great advice if you are trying to get your child to do chores, or if you are training a dog...positive reinforcement is a beautiful thing, but this is a grown man we are talking about! A man who acts like a child, albeit, but a man nonetheless who should be partaking in the general responsibilities of maintaining the home. I am guessing he also fails to fix things when they break around the house, though this is considered a manly duty by traditional standards...this dude just sounds immature, lazy, and stubborn. A female friend of mine actually resorted to buying a dry-erase board and making a chart of all the household duties with spots to put checkmarks in once those chores were done...her man was flabbergasted at how many things were on that list and immediately apologized for not helping out more, (they both work full-time)...he jumped right in and started helping out. In the OPs case, she has expressed her exhaustion and her annoyance at the fact that he refuses to help out, but he seems not to care...he needs to be shown that people will not tolerate him acting like a jerk, that he needs to grow up, and that in an adult relationship, both parties need to communicate openly and be willing to compromise sometimes.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:58 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesbloom View Post
My husband and I having been speaking to each other for almost 3 months now. In addition, he hasn't been sleeping in our bed for 2 months. We only speak when necessary or if it has something to do with our son. I approached him calmly 2 months ago about his distance and we ended up in a big argument. One of the things he brought up that bothered him was the fact one evening two years ago he came home and asked me to take out dinner for him. The food is cooked and on the stove mind you. At the time he came home, I had just finished cooking, helping our son with his homework and then was giving our son a bath. I was resentful and didn't complain but I took the food out for him anyway. Please note that I work full time. After I was done with our son, I went to him and told him that he can't expect me to take food out for him all the time. That's all I said. He blew up at me and started yelling and screaming about how his mother and father were when he was growing up.

He doesn't do anything around the house - no cleaning and cooking. Sometimes he may wash a load of clothes if there are items he want to wear. In order for the garbage to go outside, if I don't bag it up or put it by the door, he doesn't take it out. He is a loving father and can be very nice. He would give the shirt off his back for his friends. He also neglects the house and puts more time and energy into deejaying than paying attention to repairs around the house. I have suggested counseling but he refuses. Can this be resolved?

It seems like he was raised a certain way where the woman does all the necessary housework and wifely duties so it's going to be a challenge for him now that things are not the same as it was when he was a child.

My advice to you would be sit down have a serious conversation with him since he doesn't want to go to counseling and decide from there his reaction to the whole thing.

He doesn't want to go to counseling because he doesn't want to be told he is doing something wrong you see he doesn't want to hear it from an outside source, but if he truly loves you and wants you to be part of his life he will compromise somewhat for you and hopefully respect your feelings.

Good Luck, let us know what happens

Old 06-10-2009, 06:43 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
You're kidding right? The days of the woman wasting her life miserable because she has a child with a man should be long over. I can't think of any way it would be valueable to have this man teaching a young child to be the same to a woman who obviously is putting in way more than her 50% into this relationship.
No, I was asking an honest question to the OP.
No marriage is 50/50 all the time ever.
Your marriage is about more than yourself and the spouse once a child is produced. I fail to see this as a reason for divorce, be honest.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
sounds like you are going to dump him. he has issues and he is not interested in fixing them.
i commend you for flexing so much, most do not. he is using anger to control you.
in the dumping process the worst thing you can do is try to work it out with him
i hate to say it but turn the lawyer loose on him.
he has been warned.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
No, I was asking an honest question to the OP.
No marriage is 50/50 all the time ever.
Your marriage is about more than yourself and the spouse once a child is produced. I fail to see this as a reason for divorce, be honest.
So you believe it is better for the child to grow up being shown that men should treat their women like slaves and bum around doing whatever they please whenever they please? Great parenting technique...if you want to raise your kid to be a disrespectful, lazy, arrogant low-life!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times
Still interested in the op responding, nice if you could hold off on the name calling.
Question is can you hang in there for the child.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,219 times
"I purposely didn't bag it [the trash] up as I normally do to see if he would take it out." => you fail.

This is such an olldddd woman trick. Withhold doing things "to see" if they will get done. It's also called "keeping score". If you are doing this then it either means that you have a problem, or he has a problem. From his side, he saw that you "left it on purpose." So maybe he purposely didn't put it out, because you purposely left it, and why should he take it out if you are pulling such a low trick like purposely leaving it? etc, etc, etc. How old are you guys; kindergarten age or older? That sounds harsh though look at it as if you guys are both acting like misbehaving children. That's no place for a relationship, to be stuck on a kindergarten playground with one girl kicking one boy and both of them crying "you kicked me first! no you did! no you did! stop kicking me! you stop first!". etc, etc, etc.

At least stop with the tricks.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Still interested in the op responding, nice if you could hold off on the name calling.
Question is can you hang in there for the child.
You are right, I should not call him names because I have never met him, have only heard one side of the story, and he is not here to defend himself......sorry. I just can not understand the concept of staying in an emotionally abusive/unhealthy situation with someone who is unwilling to meet halfway in trying to make it better...I strongly feel it is sending a bad message to the child. I know a lot of people who lived in dysfunctional families and many of them have expressed that they wish their parents would have separated instead of fighting all the time and making life at home so tense & miserable to grow up in...hostile home environments affect children adversely and they often have trouble with their own relationships later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships