Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 PM

37 posts, read 84,809 times

Advertisements

So I've been in a relationship with this guy for about a year and a half (on and off). First it was difficult cuz the last time he had a relationship was a 10 year relationship and bout 4 years ago from now, somehow they broke up. He had trust issues and what not also our age difference. You see our age gap is exactly 10 years and im 20 now n he will be 30 this year. I love him to death and i have been unemployed bout 4 months but he never offered to pay for my phone bills or even asked if i needed 20 dollars for my empty wallet. Every one is telling me that its a one sided love because i would have helped him as much as i could and i did when he was umeployed last year for 3 months, every weekend when i went over to his house i bought groceries and wht ever i wanted him to have. And i feel like he should at least offer me some money, he did pay my phone bill for Valentine's Day and gave me 40 dollars when i asked him for it. And sometimes he pays for my transit when im with him.

I feel like its not a boy or a girl thing but its a person thing you know? This problem is bothering me more and more everytime i see my friends, they never forget to remind me about it. I want to tell him how i feel and how others are makin me feel bout this situation. But is it worth it to bring it up? It might lead to a great arguement/fight, or should i just not care bout it and let it slide? cuz after all it is a relationship between me and my boyfriend, not him and my friends.

I need some advice please? Im just thinkin of letting it go, I dont want to get into a fight and get stressed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 09:32 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,527 times
"He had trust issues and what not also our age difference."

Yeah, whatever. That's something he says to keep getting in your pants while not committing.

Edit: "even asked if i needed 20 dollars for my empty wallet." -> That's just plain prostitution you're talking about. Why should he give you money? There's a word for that and it begins with Wh*

Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Maybe an older sugar daddy. 30 year olds a lot of times don't make good sugar daddies to 20 year olds.

I think you should teach him a lesson by dumping him and getting a job.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 PM

oh i did get a job and im workin now but its kinda hard when my friends keep talkin trash bout him and sayin how he didnt help me...

Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSmartHippies View Post
"He had trust issues and what not also our age difference."

Yeah, whatever. That's something he says to keep getting in your pants while not committing.

Edit: "even asked if i needed 20 dollars for my empty wallet." -> That's just plain prostitution you're talking about. Why should he give you money? There's a word for that and it begins with Wh*

But he is my boyfriend, most of my friends are telling me "he should" i dont think he should then they say im just makin excuses and im in denial. But wht u said might be true and its makin me think if my friends are tellin me to do it, then they probably do it too. (Hmm i think i've got WH*s as my friends)...

Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Although, Steve Harvey gets on my damn nerves, I do agree with some of the things he wrote in his book "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man", and one of those things was that if a man TRULY loved his woman, he'd go above and beyond to make sure she's straight.

You're unemployed. I'm sure you could use some help, financially, even if its $10 to put gas in your car. The fact that he's acting aloof to your situation tells me HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU.

You're still young. You will find plenty more fish in the sea who will be willing to go above and beyond for you in a time of need. Girl, tell him to kick rocks. You can do bad all by your damn self.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,020 times
are you kidding me? I sure hope you are...
I can't say anymore or i will have an aneurysm

Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_queens View Post
oh i did get a job and im workin now but its kinda hard when my friends keep talkin trash bout him and sayin how he didnt help me...
Oh...and stop telling friends your business when it comes to the affairs between you and your man.

See, you're still young. And, I made the same mistake as you when I was young like you, too, which I had to live and learn from the hard way. Friends will have your head in a tale spin, if you allow it, and add more to the confusion, which you really don't need when you're tryin' to sort things out. Plus, sometimes 'friends' don't always have your best interest at heart, can become quietly jealous (these are the dangerous ones), and have ulterior motives when it comes to giving 'advice'.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
It's none of your friends' business. They need to be out of that loop all together, regardless of what he's done or not done for your finances. I've helped a few friends out with money when they've asked, but I haven't offered without being asked.

If you need to make a ledger account to determine who's given who the most help, you don't have much of a relationship.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
Little Mizz Pittsburgh makes some good points. Friends are friends and that's fine but they can't live your life for you.

IMO a 10 year age difference is not a big deal. Clearly, he is not helping you - as you helped him. To me, that fact is unavoidable.

Frankly, I think you are right - "letting it go" is better than a big blow out. The result will be the same.

You really can't change someone - they are what they are. If he has trust issues there is little reason to think they will go away.

Take care of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships