Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I beg your pardon

I am both intelligent and beautiful...
Hey! Me too!!!

I think my shyness was for several reasons. My family moved around every year until I was in the 5th grade. I was the only Chinese person in my class. My mom was a very strong dominate personality and very strict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Have you ever reached out to shake someones hand with the stun gun on kill...

what?

hugs

Old 06-18-2009, 08:12 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Hey! Me too!!!
yes you are missy!!!!!!!! you betcha!!!!!!

LOL

Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 PM

295 posts, read 667,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
I know that there are many different types of loners out there, but I want to find similar characteristics. I would say that I'm the "loner by choice" type, but even that may be too vague.
There is a bias against introverts who prefer to be alone. The common arguments are: We are social animals, you are anti-social, there is something mental wrong with you for wanting to be alone. Loner does NOT equal psycho.

I HIGHLY second that you read The Introvert Advantage. You will see that what you are feeling to some degree is similar to many if not all introverts. Now some introverts will engage in small talk (at a minimum), like to meet up with close friends, etc. But introverts get their enjoyment from their inner world: their thoughts and emotions. It's not uncommon to find an introvert reading alone in the bookstore.

Most of our interactions in the workplace, the bar scene, school, etc. are based on the extrovert's terms. Introverts may not small talk and tend to take longer to consider what we say before we say it...thus we are deemed: unapproachable, stuck up, etc. Because we generally tend to be passive, we can be passed up for promotions even though we may take on as much as or more work than our extroverted peers.

Our friends don't understand that we may prefer a text to a phone call. Instead they take it personally. We may be lost in thought and our extoverted partner thinks we are angry. (People tend to project their insecurities on us because we express ourselves less verbally.)

Old 06-18-2009, 01:17 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
There is a bias against introverts who prefer to be alone. The common arguments are: We are social animals, you are anti-social, there is something mental wrong with you for wanting to be alone. Loner does NOT equal psycho.

I HIGHLY second that you read The Introvert Advantage. You will see that what you are feeling to some degree is similar to many if not all introverts. Now some introverts will engage in small talk (at a minimum), like to meet up with close friends, etc. But introverts get their enjoyment from their inner world: their thoughts and emotions. It's not uncommon to find an introvert reading alone in the bookstore.
A good deal of the time they're hoping for interaction to meet someone however. Loner doesn't equal anything other than how the individual has taken that aspect. That doesn't change the fact that like exercise, it usually gives better overall emotional health to keep that aspect in shape, so to speak.

I'm no extrovert, but saying it doesn't have a price-tag behind it, especially in the long run is just delusional. It's like anything else, the less it's used the tougher it is generally to use when you want to.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:32 PM

295 posts, read 667,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
A good deal of the time they're hoping for interaction to meet someone however. Loner doesn't equal anything other than how the individual has taken that aspect. That doesn't change the fact that like exercise, it usually gives better overall emotional health to keep that aspect in shape, so to speak.

I'm no extrovert, but saying it doesn't have a price-tag behind it, especially in the long run is just delusional. It's like anything else, the less it's used the tougher it is generally to use when you want to.
How can you know what other people are hoping for?

If that is what YOU hope for then you can speak for yourself and not for others. PS, if you are going to try to meet people, the bookstore is not the most optimal of places! lol

Some people don't need that. They really don't. (I am not counting myself in that. I know that I need it) But I know other people who genuinely don't. Both are valid and one is not better than the other.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I've experienced both sides of the coin. I used to live in a big 'party' house with lots of people, HUGE parties and lots of craziness. 3 years of that left me yearning for some peace and quiet, so me and my boyfriend moved into a very quiet little area bordering a nature preserve. We don't go out with friends often and prefer to be at home with our dogs focusing on what WE want to do.

I much prefer the loner life over the overtly social one, to be honest.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:43 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
How can you know what other people are hoping for?

If that is what YOU hope for then you can speak for yourself and not for others. PS, if you are going to try to meet people, the bookstore is not the most optimal of places! lol

Some people don't need that. They really don't. (I am not counting myself in that. I know that I need it) But I know other people who genuinely don't. Both are valid and one is not better than the other.

If you read that, I said "A GOOD DEAL OF THE TIME". I don't need to speak for the others, if you'd like to speak for me as to whom I speak for, it's you're right to speak it. Just say it loud, I want to frighten Mr.Cat as well as confuse anyone who reads that last sentence.

I know a good deal of friends that do this. Of course it's selective, as they don't wish just anybody to come up and talk to them. But they're usually hoping for more social aspects then they're getting which is why they stick around.

Last edited by Waynec613; 06-18-2009 at 01:52 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 01:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
I would say I am naturally a lot like the OP. When I see someone I know on the street, often my instinct is to turn down a side street so they don't see me and we don't have to talk. I often take long (4+ hour) bike rides by myself just to get away from everyone. I graduated from college in 2008 and since then I haven't called or emailed a single person from school. It isn't because I don't like the friends I had, I just don't think about it. I am happier in my own head. I don't want to change that part of myself, but I do think it is good to try to be a little more outgoing. For me social interaction is all an act. I think it is healthy to be around other people, so I try to 'act social' as much as I can. Instead of living alone I am moving in with two other guys (we will see how that goes...they are both very outgoing). I have a girlfriend who is very extroverted (we are learning a lot from each other). I also found exercise is amazing. I found if I get an hour of exercise a day (for me it is always riding a bike) I can tolerate being in groups a few times a week....

I hate that people don't think loners are normal though. A few weeks ago I had nothing to do on the weekend so I loaded camping gear on my bike and rode for 7 hours, camped overnight, then rode 7 hours back. The few people who found out I did that looked at me like I needed pity, or that something was just wrong with me because I didn't ask anyone to come with me. They just didn't get why I would want to do something like that alone...

Old 06-18-2009, 01:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Be careful that you don't totally turn yourself inside out and end up being your own best friend. Like it or not, people need each other and whether you have 15 good friend or two good friends, someone needs to know you exist and you need to know they exist. For you to be this anti-social and that is exactly what you are at this point, is not good. It will effect your job, your health, your way of life in general. There are way too many instances in life where there is a need to be with and communicate with other people.

If you need to call 911 are you going to not do it because you don't want to deal with anyone on the phone or anyone at your house?
If you are out running and see someone passed out on the ground are you going to run by them because you can't deal with people?
When you graduate from college..oh..look out big line of other graduates near you...how you going to deal with that?
What about work..that is if you can get a job over the email or phone then work it over the email or phone so you don't have to deal with people..I don't think your loner status is going to work here either.

Look, be whatever you want to be..thats what living in this country is all about. Just understand that there will never in this lifetime be a time when people don't need each other so stop being afraid to extrend yourself and enjoy the benefits of being a living, breathing part of this life.
Be successful in life because you DO care what happens to others and you DO want to be somebody who everyone remembers.
My coworkers and I work alone, because we're more productive that way. There is no reason to have two people working off the same pallet. And we work overnights, when we don't have customers to deal with. When I was in a relationship, she handles the bills, the grocery shopping, any interaction I might have to have with the outside world, she takes care of. Not me--can't be bothered.

911? A joke. I would never depend on another person to protect my life--I would take care of that myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships