Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:38 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

You have a job, you have a job where they just promoted you, you have a job where they are paying for your Master's degree. The job requires some travel, which as usual is more than the % quoted up front.

But you at least have a job, and apparently one with a future, if you play your cards right.

I say just bear up. See if the travel remains more than projected, if so, *then* maybe talk with your boss about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 05:55 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I did. They said the travel will slow down once this project is completed - so I just have to wait it out.
I'd still request paid time off for the additional hardship of being away from your family so much. I think they owe it to you for your good work.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I'd still request paid time off for the additional hardship of being away from your family so much. I think they owe it to you for your good work.
I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, especially since they told me it will slow down after this project is finished. If I notice that it doesn't, then I'll go talk to him about it and maybe ask for more time off (a lot of times they don't really need me anyway - two of the "urgent" meetings we had last month were drinks with employees in other departments) but I think asking for paid time off when I just finished my 90 days a millisecond ago would be pushing it.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
At one time, my DH covered 5 States as a district manager. He was gone at least 3 nights a week, sometimes more. I slept on his side of the bed so I could get his scent, which helped me sleep. The thing that helped (and continues to help) is that we are child-free. That eliminates many of the issues you are dealing with.

It sounds like you will have less travel once this particular project is complete? Other than the travel, it sounds like a good job that pays well. Try to stick it out. Longevity at a job usually brings less travel. Many companies stick the newbies out on the road while they earn their chops.

Good luck to you. It will get better.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
I was recently promoted at my job. I knew going into it there was going to be some travel and I thought I was prepared for it. My boyfriend and I talked about it when I was first offered the position, balanced the pros and cons and we mutually agreed that I should take it. I was originally told there was 25% required travel, however, since my promotion I have been home a total of 17 days within a 3 month time span and most of those days weren't consecutive.

It's killing me. The first month wasn't that bad because I was still on the east coast and in an area where I have family. But now I'm on the west coast for 10 days, which may be extended if we like the property we're looking at. I feel like I've been sentenced to death. We talk on the phone and text whenever we have time but with the 3 hour time difference by the time I'm back at my hotel, he's in bed and it's pointless trying to talk. My son is already asleep so I haven't even heard his voice, except in voice mails. He sends me little videos throughout the day but all that does is make me feel worse for not being there.

We've been apart before, he actually moved to NJ a year before I did but now it's like we're both finished with school, we're in the same state, most of my debt has been paid off (another thread) we were just about to start planning our wedding and I'm never home. When I am home I feel like we spend most of our time adjusting to changes that were made while I was gone, like the fact that french fries and corn dogs have become staples in our fridge or that he now sleeps on my side of the bed or that my son prefers him to do the things that used to be exclusively "mommy" jobs.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a job or a partner with a job that means they spend a lot of time apart and how you guys deal with it. Does it ever get easier?

I just needed a place to vent
I was in the Navy for 8 years and the time apart really divided us more and more. It was one of the reasons I got out as it placed too great a strain on our marriage.

I really don't think there's an easy way to deal with it unless you can make some adjustments at work.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Many companies stick the newbies out on the road while they earn their chops.
I think you're right. I've been here since Wednesday and we haven't done anything that couldn't have been done via email/fax. Mostly, they've ordered lunch, gone out to dinners and used every amenity the resort has to offer. When I said something to the person newest to the team (she was promoted 6 months before me) she said it's "research". gotta love corporate America.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:53 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
I was recently promoted at my job. I knew going into it there was going to be some travel and I thought I was prepared for it. My boyfriend and I talked about it when I was first offered the position, balanced the pros and cons and we mutually agreed that I should take it. I was originally told there was 25% required travel, however, since my promotion I have been home a total of 17 days within a 3 month time span and most of those days weren't consecutive.

It's killing me. The first month wasn't that bad because I was still on the east coast and in an area where I have family. But now I'm on the west coast for 10 days, which may be extended if we like the property we're looking at. I feel like I've been sentenced to death. We talk on the phone and text whenever we have time but with the 3 hour time difference by the time I'm back at my hotel, he's in bed and it's pointless trying to talk. My son is already asleep so I haven't even heard his voice, except in voice mails. He sends me little videos throughout the day but all that does is make me feel worse for not being there.

We've been apart before, he actually moved to NJ a year before I did but now it's like we're both finished with school, we're in the same state, most of my debt has been paid off (another thread) we were just about to start planning our wedding and I'm never home. When I am home I feel like we spend most of our time adjusting to changes that were made while I was gone, like the fact that french fries and corn dogs have become staples in our fridge or that he now sleeps on my side of the bed or that my son prefers him to do the things that used to be exclusively "mommy" jobs.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a job or a partner with a job that means they spend a lot of time apart and how you guys deal with it. Does it ever get easier?

I just needed a place to vent
I have a great deal of sympathy for you. It's not each to keep a relationship going while always traveling for work's purpose. Maybe it's time you start looking around for something else.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:53 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, especially since they told me it will slow down after this project is finished. If I notice that it doesn't, then I'll go talk to him about it and maybe ask for more time off (a lot of times they don't really need me anyway - two of the "urgent" meetings we had last month were drinks with employees in other departments) but I think asking for paid time off when I just finished my 90 days a millisecond ago would be pushing it.
That would be my approach. Sometimes we have to make short term sacrifices for long term gain. However once you have your masters and if you are only home for 80 nights a year, then it might be time to reassess the situation.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
That would be my approach. Sometimes we have to make short term sacrifices for long term gain. However once you have your masters and if you are only home for 80 nights a year, then it might be time to reassess the situation.
Yep, I hate it right now but I really like my job. I talked to some of the others on my team and they said travel is heavy right now because they're using the economy slump to expand, but usually once a project is underway travel slows down considerably. So I'm going to try to stick it out; plus my boyfriend and son are coming over Wednesday & staying through the rest of this trip (unless it gets extended ) so I have something to look forward to.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Well that would be the logical choice, but I would like to move up within the company, especially since they're picking up the tab for my Masters. I'm just venting. Nothing said on this thread will magically solve the situation, I just wanted to know if others have been here and how they dealt with it. I tried talking to one of my friends but she just reassured me she would pop up at the house randomly and keep a look out for me
Is your company hiring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships