Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:45 AM

429 posts, read 1,148,527 times

Advertisements

You have to know that women read these "how to" books, too!!! Don't make the mistake of thinking you're on the inside track of some big secret. Most women will go along with this nonsense as long as it's fun to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 01:17 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Drop the predator bit and just be yourself. Women aren't lab rats that need to be studied and categorized.

Believe me, I'm no lady killer, but as I'm getting older I'm learning that just being "yourself" with no agenda's has a way of winning people over.

You really don't need a script or anything like that. Generally people like to talk about themselves, so ask her some open ended questions and really listen to her.

Listening makes the difference.
As cliche as it is, 'be yourself' works depending on whether or not you interpret it the right way. I interpret it as 'do what you enjoy, and enjoy doing it.' And that way I've met some girls, and people in general, that I have a good connection with.

Nothing is more appealing to me than a girl with a passion. So I imagine it's the same the other way around. People with conviction ooze confidence and contentment effortlessly, so they have a better natural aura than someone who is obviously hamming it up.

This "Dating Advice" thing makes a fortune by repackaging a time honoured piece of advice in a more convoluted form and selling it to guys who are down on their luck. It's snake oil at best.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:18 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneee View Post
You have to know that women read these "how to" books, too!!! Don't make the mistake of thinking you're on the inside track of some big secret. Most women will go along with this nonsense as long as it's fun to do so.
I'd say that's pretty debatable.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,593,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneee View Post

Not to mention those silly articles in magazines.
"Ten Ways To Let Him Know You're Interested!"

I read some such terrible article in a teen magazine just the other day (I was killing some time at the Walgreens).
Every tip involved some sort of deception.
Stuff like "Send him a flirty text message, then text him back and say, "OMG! I meant to send that to somebody else! I am soooo embarrassed, lolz. By the way, what are you doing next friday night?"

Another tip involved walking by some guy in public and pretending to stumble, so that you have to grab hold of him to keep from falling. And then saying, "Sorry! I turn into a total spaz when I'm around cute guys!"
The article suggested that he'd be too flattered to focus on the ridiculous transparency of this ruse.

It went on and on... it was just godawful.

I was struck by how much things have changed since the late-80s/ early-90s when I was a teenager and actually read these magazines.
It seems like there used to be a lot more "girl-power" motivational-type stuff, more focus on being yourself, being strong, confident and independent, being a straight-shooter and just approaching a guy and stating your business.

Now we seem to have regressed back to the 1950s, where girls are advised to resort to klutzy antics and deceptive schemes in order get a guy.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:22 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times
I watched the video. The girls are obviously mindless, obnoxious, and drunk.

And why do parties always have to have the most oppressively awful house music ever?

Old 06-21-2009, 01:24 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Not to mention those silly articles in magazines.
"Ten Ways To Let Him Know You're Interested!"

I read some such terrible article in a teen magazine just the other day (I was killing some time at the Walgreens).
Every tip involved some sort of deception.
Stuff like "Send him a flirty text message, then text him back and say, "OMG! I meant to send that to somebody else! I am soooo embarrassed, lolz. By the way, what are you doing next friday night?"

Another tip involved walking by some guy in public and pretending to stumble, so that you have to grab hold of him to keep from falling. And then saying, "Sorry! I turn into a total spaz when I'm around cute guys!"
The article suggested that he'd be too flattered to focus on the ridiculous transparency of this ruse.

It went on and on... it was just godawful.

I was struck by how much things have changed since the late-80s/ early-90s when I was a teenager and actually read these magazines.
It seems like there used to be a lot more "girl-power" motivational-type stuff, more focus on being yourself, being strong, confident and independent, being a straight-shooter and just approaching a guy and stating your business.

Now we seem to have regressed back to the 1950s, where girls are advised to resort to klutzy antics and deceptive schemes in order get a guy.
Aren't teenage girls funny?

Old 06-21-2009, 02:48 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,435,653 times
In the first video the guy was friendly and outgoing, and on the second video the guy was friendly and gay. Whatever works man.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 AM

318 posts, read 820,854 times
OMG, what effing losers. If I were at a party feeding off all that energy and alchohol and a loser came and started talking to me, I'd talk to him out of pity as well as out of having a drunken care free spirit. Let me tell you something about those scenes - allow me to tell you something about life in general, alchohol is the secret weapon that gets many ugly ducklings laid.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:05 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
In the first video the guy was friendly and outgoing, and on the second video the guy was friendly and gay. Whatever works man.

I think Mehow is gay and shows off how easy it was to talk to girls (that some straight boy who still couldn't grow the manhood to make a conversation last for more than 5 minutes) on YouTube.

I don't know. What do you think, Artsy?

Yawn. Those vids are veerrry boring.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:27 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaydenJ View Post
OMG, what effing losers. If I were at a party feeding off all that energy and alchohol and a loser came and started talking to me, I'd talk to him out of pity as well as out of having a drunken care free spirit. Let me tell you something about those scenes - allow me to tell you something about life in general, alchohol is the secret weapon that gets many ugly ducklings laid.
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships