Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
So I have an account with match.com and under the advice of Rachel Greenwald (author of find a Husband after 35-great book) I wanted to take a peek at women's profiles on that site. Decided to try different regions. It was interesting to note that the women in New York are very highly educated, successful, attractive and sophisticated, yet ALL of them had never been married and some were into their late 30s. Chicago women are about the same way. I think Yankee women really have a lot to offer. It seems like women in Georgia who have much less to offer (by comparison) get all the men. (I don't mean that Southern women have nothing to offer-they can sure cook and "flirt" good-I just mean that NY women were unsurpassed.) If you don't believe me, why is it that the average dumpy woman in a muu-muu at the supermarket in the "Southern world"-always has a wedding ring on? I feel bad for single women in big cities. How can they have so much to offer and be so unable to find a mate? They also check "definetely" and "someday" under "want kids?" Sad.
So I pulled up Griffin, Georgia on my trusty Google Maps. Looks like y'all are a small town south of Atlanta, probably grow lots of cows and ungulates, maybe some peaches and truck crops, probably lots of timber. I'm skeptical that there's very much to do in Griffin that doesn't involve a firearm, a golf club, or a shovel.

In towns like yours, and the one I grew up in, there's a phenomenon where all the educated young people leave. This includes pretty much any single woman who doesn't want to get married at 20.

Where do they go? In your case, probably Atlanta. Maybe Savannah, or the SC coast, or somewhere in Florida. I live "In the south" like you, just in a different part, and there are a mind boggling amount of 20-40 y/o single women. Spend a few days on a July weekend in a city like Charleston, and you'll see where they all end up.

Last edited by le roi; 06-26-2009 at 07:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
If I've said this once, I've said it a thousand times...the men around here don't want real relationships, they just want to fu**, and the women want more, so we're all at an impasse, as it were.
I knew a gal that lived in Vegas for a couple years and her observation was that if you want a good man there, bring him with you.

What about mail-ordering some guy from Iowa?

I had a funny thought after having seen Fight Club again recently. Why not find out where a widowers support group meets and stake the place out looking all hawt!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
So I pulled up Griffin, Georgia on my trusty Google Maps. Looks like y'all are a small town south of Atlanta, probably grow lots of cows and ungulates, maybe some peaches, probably lots of timber.

In towns like yours, and the one I grew up in, there's a phenomenon where all the educated young people leave. This includes pretty much any single woman who doesn't want to get married at 20.

Where do they go? In your case, probably Atlanta. Maybe Savannah, or the SC coast, or somewhere in Florida. I live "In the south" like you, just in a different part, and there are a mind boggling amount of 20-40 y/o single women.
That phenomenon is true around here too. When I was checking the dating scene I ran across a number of gals in the lower part of my age range (32-45ish) that still wanted kids so that crossed quite a few off. Having kids is a plus to me but wanting more was a dealbreaker.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:56 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
If I've said this once, I've said it a thousand times...the men around here don't want real relationships, they just want to fu**, and the women want more, so we're all at an impasse, as it were.
Not all of us men are like this, but unfortunately too many are. IMO, one of the big problems with cities like NY, Chicago, and Boston is that they're so fast-paced and hectic that people don't have the time or energy to really meet anyone. You get up early, sit on the train for an hour, spend 9 or 10 hours at a job that has you busting your behind to pay for the ridiculous cost of living, sit on the train for another hour to get home, and if you don't go to the gym, you get home and just collapse. You don't have the energy to socialize so you just crash in front of the TV. I have friends in these cities and this is how it is for all of them. Maybe that's why people in more laid-back cities get married sooner. They have more time and energy to meet people and devote to a relationship.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,178 times
tell all them single women from new york to come to pittsburgh

Old 06-26-2009, 09:25 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
I have to agree with you 100%. If suddenly things changed radically and all the guys who aren't like that, but aren't in demand, were suddenly considered "hot", human narture being what it is, in 6 months, over 90% of them would be sleeping around, using women like their "hot" bretheren and no longer lifting a finger around the house. It must be genetic and is merely a repressed gene in men who are unattractive.

The remaining ten percent had these tendencies beaten out of them by their mothers. Oh how women hate quivering jelly fish.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
tell all them single women from new york to come to pittsburgh
I'll admit, you're offer stands a better chance than West Virginia or Montana. Despite this, don't hold out much hope.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Not all of us men are like this, but unfortunately too many are. IMO, one of the big problems with cities like NY, Chicago, and Boston is that they're so fast-paced and hectic that people don't have the time or energy to really meet anyone. You get up early, sit on the train for an hour, spend 9 or 10 hours at a job that has you busting your behind to pay for the ridiculous cost of living, sit on the train for another hour to get home, and if you don't go to the gym, you get home and just collapse. You don't have the energy to socialize so you just crash in front of the TV. I have friends in these cities and this is how it is for all of them. Maybe that's why people in more laid-back cities get married sooner. They have more time and energy to meet people and devote to a relationship.
Excellent point. My total commuting time daily went down by at least 90minutes when I moved from Chicago to Kansas City.

That gives me a nice amount of time, in fact, I just got back from lunch with my gf.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:35 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Agreed. I texted an investment banker I met and he was still at work at 9 pm last night...this is how everyone here lives. I've been thinking about relocating myself, maybe this is the time to do it....I'm sick of the rat race going on here and the lack of real human relationships. We were not designed as human beings to work 12 hours+ per day and spend another 2-4 hours getting to and fro. I think I want to live somewhere with a more laid back lifestyle. Very intense around here....

Old 06-26-2009, 01:10 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Agreed. I texted an investment banker I met and he was still at work at 9 pm last night...this is how everyone here lives. I've been thinking about relocating myself, maybe this is the time to do it....I'm sick of the rat race going on here and the lack of real human relationships. We were not designed as human beings to work 12 hours+ per day and spend another 2-4 hours getting to and fro. I think I want to live somewhere with a more laid back lifestyle. Very intense around here....
That's how I ended up on CD in the first place. I've wanting to relocate cause I life in one of those rat-race cities. I'd love to live someplace more laid back. The hard part is finding a job in one of those cities. Unfortunately, all the jobs are in those same cities with the hectic lifestyle. I'd take a pay cut for more normal hours and be willing to live in a smaller place if it means a shorter commute to work. Hopefully, my social life will improve once I make those changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships