Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,384,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever you want View Post
Ever had someone try to change you?
Yeah, my parents, but it was part of their job description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,342,800 times
If u r happy with yourself, bump the rest...

Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,978,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
I have a friend whom I have known for 10 years. We actually dated briefly. Anyway, he always tells me I should loosen up and be more extroverted. I can not help my personality. I am a introvert I always have been. He also says that I can come off as a snob. I told him I don't mean to but I am quiet and reserve. Then yesterday we were talking on the phone and he actually started telling me that I need to loosen up in bed as well. As I stated earlier we have dated in the past and we were intimate a few times. So,he starts to tell me all the things I could do better. Even comparing me to other girls he has been with.Basically by the time the conversation was over I felt horrible about myself. I think I am a good person and I have never had a person try to change me like he has or tell me all my negative points. Believe me he is not perfect by no means but I accept people for who they are. I don't want to change anybody and I don't want anybody to change me. What should I do? Should I tell him how I feel about what he said?
Tell him he could harden up a bit in bed.

No seriously...this guy is probably trying to help you out a bit. I can see how frustrating that would be for you.

I look at it in a constructive way. Maybe if you smiled more you would meet more guys or even people in general. Maybe you didn't know you kinda come off like a "snob" maybe people have mentioned that to him. "Why is your friend look like a snob?"

At any rate, it could help to smooth off some rough edges of your personality. However, he would not be a good person to hang with as a close friend or even a boyfriend.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:00 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,643,339 times
I'd be interested in knowing how the OP is taking all this advice...

It's funny, but here on C-D Relationships friends are constantly giving other friends advice, in seemingly all areas of life. Most of the time it seems to go over well, but I'm wondering if it's because we're indeed only friends and not in a relationship with each other (my apologies to anyone who is ).

And in keeping up the mad tradition of this forum, I'll throw in my 2 centavos and say "Lose this guy".

Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,931,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

It's funny, but here on C-D Relationships friends are constantly giving other friends advice, in seemingly all areas of life. Most of the time it seems to go over well, but I'm wondering if it's because we're indeed only friends and not in a relationship with each other (my apologies to anyone who is ).

And in keeping up the mad tradition of this forum, I'll throw in my 2 centavos and say "Lose this guy".
Well Sifuphil me and you are "together" unless you forgot about last night. Oh..oh I'm sorry you were pasted out on my couch and I had my way with you.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,345,162 times
Quote:

Well, the OP was from last July, so hopefully the issue has been resolved by now.

However, I will also chip in my 2 cents.

I absolutely can't stand it when someone tries to change something about me.

I broke up with my last boyfriend and as soon as I did, he proceeded to tell me all the things that he found "wrong" with me. Um, hello, I broke up with you and I'm not giving you a list of "faults" so shut the eff up about what you think I should change about myself. One thing he told me was that I was too critical of myself and should change that. He said this because I had expressed to his 250 pound self that I wanted to lose about 20 pounds. I guess because he is so much more overweight, he didn't want a skinny girlfriend Who knows? He listed a couple other "flaws" of mine after that, and then proceeded to get all miserable and mopey and ask me what went wrong, and couldn't we work things out. Um, after you told me everything that was "wrong" with me, you want to get back together?

I've had other friends try to convince me that it's OK to text and drive , that it's OK to drink and drive , that I should jump out of a perfectly good airplane , that I should enjoy rollerblading (I just don't, so sue me) that Hillary Clinton is the best thing to happen to this country , that I should stop caring about certain people , and that I should eat a snail at least once (vomit emoticon here), and a host of other things on which I will not agree.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
men dont mind being given a "makeover" by women. gals on the other hand dont find it amusing.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Well Sifuphil me and you are "together" unless you forgot about last night. Oh..oh I'm sorry you were pasted out on my couch and I had my way with you.
That explains the smile on my face this morning.

...and the handcuffs...

Old 03-05-2010, 10:35 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,931,228 times
Quote:
That explains the smile on my face this morning.

...and the handcuffs...
You asked for the pink ones.lol

Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You asked for the pink ones.lol
Well, I thought it would be a nice change from the lime-green ones.

See? Change DOES happen to people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships