Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,292,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I was 10 years old. It was really hot out and I had found the ice cream man with my hard saved up 75 cents. I bought a really cool looking popsicle with a whole bunch of colors. I was so excited to eat it that I was running home really fast. About two minutes later I fell on my face on the sidewalk and my popsicle slid along sideways into a sewer grate. I cried for about ten minutes.
similar thing happened to my brother..he was about 6...running across a street with ice cream, got hit by the car and cried....not because he got hit by the car, he was fine...he cried for the ice cream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Was this recent?
It was May, 2005. Seven years together. I had to end it bc I didn't see her going with me into the next phase of my life.

I got married (to someone else, obviously) May 2008. She won't speak to me or allow any of our mutual friends to update me on her life...I can respect that. I totally upended her world.

I did have another bad heartbreak in 1996...but that chick is/was a total psycho and I wish her well, but whoo...happy to be rid of that one.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It was May, 2005. Seven years together. I had to end it bc I didn't see her going with me into the next phase of my life.

I got married (to someone else, obviously) May 2008. She won't speak to me or allow any of our mutual friends to update me on her life...I can respect that. I totally upended her world.

I did have another bad heartbreak in 1996...but that chick is/was a total psycho and I wish her well, but whoo...happy to be rid of that one.
What was it about her that you did not see her moving into the next phase with you? I ask because I have always wondered why I broke it off with my big heartbreak...I just knew it was the right thing to do even though I loved him.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
What was it about her that you did not see her moving into the next phase with you? I ask because I have always wondered why I broke it off with my big heartbreak...I just knew it was the right thing to do even though I loved him.
Mmmmm...I was just finishing up 12 years of higher education and finally ready to get my first job. And I landed an awesome job in the exact town I wanted with a great group of people.

And as the date grew closer and closer to graduation, I kept asking myself, "Why am I not more happy or excited about my life?"

It took a while to realize, but it was because I was unhappy in my relationship and had been for two or three years.

Relationships become a habit, unfortunately, and we don't often stop to analyze them enough. I had been working so much that I didn't pay attention, and it was convenient to have a partner at home to help take care of things. Our families knew us and each other well and were entwined. And I confused love with being in love...

A friend also pointed out, "If you are so together, why won't you pull the trigger on marrying her?" That was another sign. I just couldn't do it. Something was stopping me.

She was/is a wonderful person. Kind, generous, beautiful, thoughtful, adoring, funny, smart...but her lack of focus/direction and my inability to really feel like I could depend on her with my life...that finally took its toll. I knew that wasn't someone I could respect enough to go through life with.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,511 times
I am an issue I will say that as a anti commitial person...... however I am growing from the past years. Hopefully I have gained wisdom in years...

I will back to 23 years ago I am still friends with all but two ex's I have been with. I will take trips traveling from the one 23 or so years ago. I believe everyone came into my life that I shared my life with for a reason. It should be celebrated adn cherished for that reason. I hang out with future wifes/to newaly married wifes as a part of life happened I am not here but you are. For the most part Yes I hang camp party hang out with the people I have in my life.

OK I am not saying someone everyother week. I am talking about in 23 years I hang out with 3 people who I dated... And I do take a new prospect for them to give me a new opinion.....should I or shouldn't I and take it with my opinion...

It you can not for the most part be friends of your ex's in my opinion you did it wrong - you brought these people into your life as a reason what did you learn from it. And your ex's saying yep or nope is a good indicator.....

Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Mmmmm...I was just finishing up 12 years of higher education and finally ready to get my first job. And I landed an awesome job in the exact town I wanted with a great group of people.

And as the date grew closer and closer to graduation, I kept asking myself, "Why am I not more happy or excited about my life?"

It took a while to realize, but it was because I was unhappy in my relationship and had been for two or three years.

Relationships become a habit, unfortunately, and we don't often stop to analyze them enough. I had been working so much that I didn't pay attention, and it was convenient to have a partner at home to help take care of things. Our families knew us and each other well and were entwined. And I confused love with being in love...

A friend also pointed out, "If you are so together, why won't you pull the trigger on marrying her?" That was another sign. I just couldn't do it. Something was stopping me.

She was/is a wonderful person. Kind, generous, beautiful, thoughtful, adoring, funny, smart...but her lack of focus/direction and my inability to really feel like I could depend on her with my life...that finally took its toll. I knew that wasn't someone I could respect enough to go through life with.
I completely understand...it does not sound like it was easy but in the end everyone is where they should be.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I was 10 years old. It was really hot out and I had found the ice cream man with my hard saved up 75 cents. I bought a really cool looking Popsicle with a whole bunch of colors. I was so excited to eat it that I was running home really fast. About two minutes later I fell on my face on the sidewalk and my Popsicle slid along sideways into a sewer grate. I cried for about ten minutes.
Did you ever get another chance for happiness?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I completely understand...it does not sound like it was easy but in the end everyone is where they should be.
It was the hardest thing I ever did. I thought for a long time that something was wrong with me bc I wasn't in love with her. But I think everyone is way happier now. She gets to live her bohemian, flakey lifestyle, and I have someone who is my rock.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:54 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Did you ever get another chance for happiness?

No. Now that I can afford any popsicle I want, a lot of the mystique and wonder about the different kinds of popsicles is no longer enticing. I feel like my entire life is now a waste.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:05 AM

Isn't that true of a lot of things once you grow up and can have them whenever you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships