Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

1. 3 days, 5 hours, and 47 minutes

2. yes - it HAS to be a 22-minute long call, give or take a few milliseconds; it HAS to be made from a landline or a pay phone; you HAVE to wear a polka dot shirt in pink & lime green while making the call; oh, and don't forget to pick up the receiver with your left hand right after you pull your left ear with your right hand - it's bad luck otherwise!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
The face to face meeting is suggested during the phone conversation which can be anywhere from 1-3 weeks.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:12 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Based on my experience (from 1996-1999), like orangeapple, I was better off with sooner than later. I found that I very often built people up in my head and when we finally met, I was disappointed. I also felt some guys misrepresented themselves to me.

I met my husband on a matchmaking site in 1999. He sent me a few emails and I finally responded to the 3rd. The same night I responded, he convinced me to call him that night, which I tentatively did. That night while on the phone he convinced me to meet him for dinner and/or drinks 2 days later. His rational was that we could waste each other's time online or we could just get it over with to see if there's any chemistry. I agreed with him. The rest is history.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
1. 3 days, 5 hours, and 47 minutes

2. yes - it HAS to be a 22-minute long call, give or take a few milliseconds; it HAS to be made from a landline or a pay phone; you HAVE to wear a polka dot shirt in pink & lime green while making the call; oh, and don't forget to pick up the receiver with your left hand right after you pull your left ear with your right hand - it's bad luck otherwise!

Oh, wow! Now I get it! I'm just supposed to just realize through some kind of internet-telepathy when someone that I only know through words on a screen is comfortable enough to meet me in person!

If you want to offer a constructive criticism, or say I shouldn't think about it, or say that internet dating is a waste of time, then that's cool. But if you're going to be so arrogant that you cannot help but mock my two rather reasonable and straightforward questions, keep it to yourself, OK?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think the phone thing is more a Boomer than an "X-er" or definitely "Gen Y" thing.

Unless you happen to hook up with a real "bunny boiler" you don't have to worry about continued unwanted phone calls from a gal. Usually. At least not if you are a Boomer.

You could get her # and call her from a pay phone. Assuming you can find a pay phone...Or a phone at a table in a truck stop...
Yeah, it's not exactly a huge concern - like I said, I'm willing to give out my number (and, all things considered, it's probably more of a concern for a woman). But I am a bit wary about it, which is probably a good thing, really.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Oh, wow! Now I get it! I'm just supposed to just realize through some kind of internet-telepathy when someone that I only know through words on a screen is comfortable enough to meet me in person!

If you want to offer a constructive criticism, or say I shouldn't think about it, or say that internet dating is a waste of time, then that's cool. But if you're going to be so arrogant that you cannot help but mock my two rather reasonable and straightforward questions, keep it to yourself, OK?
Well, if you are as dense as to not understand that each individual is different, each interaction is different, everybody's comfort level is different, there are no one-fits-all rules, and you play it by ear, then you will receive sarcastic responses, yes.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,740 times
Been there, done that, got the virtual t-shirt.

Your answers:

1.) When you feel comfortable, AND, you know you can trust the person not to be some deranged psycho cereal killer.. (Gotta save Capt'n Crunch, that guy just rocks!)

2.) Absolutely. Unless you do a background check, a DNA analysis, an eye retinal scan, and an in-depth blood test, how do you think you're going to get to know the person? Besides, the phone sex is great!

Seriously, be very careful about meeting people online. Get to know them as well as you can before you even think of meeting them. Ask those probing questions to figure out their true identity. By all means, talk on the phone.. when you're finally comfortable, meet in a public place. Really, you've heard all of this before, just follow through with it.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Well, if you are as dense as to not understand that each individual is different, each interaction is different, everybody's comfort level is different, there are no one-fits-all rules, and you play it by ear, then you will receive sarcastic responses, yes.
you sure are a piece of work sometimes!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
There is also this thing called "advice," which, as I understand it, can be applied and adjusted to fit different scenarios and different comfort levels and different individuals, and even be disregarded if the situation seems to call for it.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,815 times
1) Assuming correspondence is going well, how long should you wait until suggesting an in-person meeting?

really depends on how comfortable you just happen to feel with meeting that person. i have met guys i have only "known" online for a few days, and some i took 3 weeks to finally meet!

2) Is a phone conversation prior to the meeting necessary?

i would do that for now on. ive had horrible phone conversations, and the first (and last) days were just as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships