Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

The only reason I can see is if both work, and can't get vacation time at the same time. Personally, I've never had a "real" vacation. The best I've done is a "staycation"...and I usually worked somewhere else during that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,507 times
I have never had a separate vacation from my husband, but I think it would be a lot of fun if I went w/some friends. BUT, he would never allow that I am sure.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
We do vacations together, just the two of us, with the kids, with just one kid, and separate. I do things with my friends and he does things with his friends. I relish my time away from my husband and I'm sure he feels the same way about his time away from me. We have completely different interests, so our separate vacations are a lot of fun. If I had to go along with him on a golf vacation, I'd be b*tching like there was no tomorrow and he would be miserable. Likewise, I go off on these wine tasting trips and my ballroom dance camps and competitions and he would be (has been) bored out of his mind. I don't need him griping about what I do either. But we do go on some vacations together where we have a really good time.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What if one wants to go to the mountains and the other to the beach? Vacation time is limited to begin with. Even if they have the time and compromise and go together to both places, chances are good one of them will be cranky in either place. Some men like fishing, hunting, etc. Not too many women enjoy such activities. Some like getting together with long-time friends annually. There are a number of legitimate reasons people do it.
I understand that to a degree, but at the same time not.. If I wanted to go to the beach (which I always do, since I'm a self proclaimed former beach bum), and the person I was with wanted to go to the mountains, well, I'd compromise and go to the mountains this year and then the beach next year.. For me, I guess just being with the person that I care the most about makes me the happiest, no matter where I am..

Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
I can see couples who do not have children taking vacations separately, to see family, do the things they really want to do but the SO doesn't in the least, etc.

That said I personally wouldn't want to since I have no reason to. The only time I took some time off alone was when my grandfather died and my wife's boss was a hard***** and didn't let her take additional time off.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
I am really confused. A ton of my friends (married & dating) are taking a lot of separate vacations from their spouses. I find this strange. My husband and I have never taken vacation separate. We actually look forward to being together on vacation. We took or son with us for the first time last year on vacation. I feel this is a time for us to bond and relax. I would & could never imagine taking vacation without him. So I am really confused on why they are not going on vacation with the ones they love. I see it as them taking a break from each other. But shouldn't they be together to relax and maybe talk about what’s wrong. I simply can't understand it. I think its a gateway to trouble. (I won't go into the "after the vacation" calls I get now)
My wife and I have taken seperate vacations for the last couple of years. My wife likes to lounge on the beach.On my vacations(which I rarely take, I am very tight) I like a more active pace.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:53 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
I am really confused. A ton of my friends (married & dating) are taking a lot of separate vacations from their spouses. I find this strange. My husband and I have never taken vacation separate. We actually look forward to being together on vacation. We took or son with us for the first time last year on vacation. I feel this is a time for us to bond and relax. I would & could never imagine taking vacation without him. So I am really confused on why they are not going on vacation with the ones they love. I see it as them taking a break from each other. But shouldn't they be together to relax and maybe talk about what’s wrong. I simply can't understand it. I think its a gateway to trouble. (I won't go into the "after the vacation" calls I get now)

We never go separately. We try to find destinations where both of us can enjoy different things, so both of us are happy.
We had friends who went on separate vacations on a regular basis, and since they had kids one would "stay at home" while the other would be at the other end of the world for 2-3 weeks. So much so that they ended up never going on any vacation together, not having any family vacation anymore. Since they had very busy work lives, they ended up never being together and got divorced. They just didn't know one another any longer. Sad.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
My recent ex-wife and I began taking separate vacations sometime around the 5th of our 25 year marriage. In our case we mutually agreed to do this given that we were from different countries. She would go to her country of origin and visit her family while I stayed with the children. Then, later in the year as my work-related stress increased, I remember her saying ..."honey, it's time for you to go home and be with your family."

Although we took vacations together within the U.S. with our children, we both respected our need to be amongst our own for a few days out of the year.

This is something I will forever be indebted to my ex for. How nice it was for her to be mindful of the fact that I needed that "away" time amongst my kin folk and people of my culture. And, for the record, I never once felt the need to cheat on her during the time I was away. There was absolutely no need for that. It was beautiful to be in a relationship where we trusted each other to that degree.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:01 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
I can understand it, if spouses have differing hobbies, interests, etc.

Personally, it wouldn't happen, I think my husband would just rather take on that hobby for a week then go off on his own!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:03 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Nope, not for us at all!! Any vacation/trip, we go together......end of story. My wife may just be one of the odd ones b/c she loves fishing and has her own rifle.....and is a darn good shot with it! And, she is 61 yrs old! One of the things that REALLY brought us together and married was that we share so many interests.
Now, on the other hand, my wife's sister is different......BUT, she is in a married that is not really a marriage! Since I've known her (9 yrs now), her husband didn't ever want to go on a vacation/trip with her......he kept telling her "it's a waste of money". But, then again, she doesn't like being around her husband that much anymore anyway. She doesn't even want to sleep in the same room with him! Great marriage, hugh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships