Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousvisitor View Post
I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to share. I went through this as well, I guess we all have and I agree this statement means different things to different people.

When I've said it in the past, I've meant it as a way to say "I don't want a relationship with you".

The guy who told me "he didn't want a relationship" was a close friend who expressed mutual feelings. Problem was his actions and words weren't matching. He was asking me to dinner, calling, no sex but doing everything a boyfriend/interested party would but then SAYING he didn't want a relationship. Granted, I appreciated his honesty but I still held a glimmer of hope because hey actions speak louder than words right?

I did ask why because I couldn't understand how he could express feelings, not want a commitment and yet still stay friends. How could someone want you but not want to be with you? How can someone have feelings yet risk loosing you? That was my mindset. I wasn't looking for a relationship either when all this happened but I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity. And the fact that he wanted to stay friends was torture for me since I had feelings for him.

In the end, after a heart to heart, expressing exactly how I felt, explaining my point of view and understanding his....the truth is that the problem wasn't me at all and it had everything to do with him just not wanting a relationship. He wasn't ready or able to give his all and until then he was going to give nothing.

I had to end the friendship for my own sanity and to be able to fully move on. I figured that if he were really serious about his feelings that he'd call me when ready OR that once I was completely over him, I could just be his friend without a problem.

I also had to understand that him rejecting me had NOTHING to do with me personally. I had to separate my "who" from his "do". The action (do) of rejection had nothing to do with me (who).
That tired old "it's not you, it's me" line is rejection and it does have to do with him not being attracted to you in a way that made him want to be with you. Men will tell you anything to alleviate the amount of guilt on themselves if they just tell you the hard truth, "I'm not interested in being with you," and make you cry. It's not until a little while afterward when you check in, and find out this man who supposedly "isn't ready for a relationship-its-not-you-its-me" is suddenly dating and considers himself to be in a relationship with someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
Well i'm seeing someone who told me from the start that he did not want a girlfriend, however that has been since Jan and its now Sept. My feelings are deeper and he still states "no relationship", but not a day goes by that we don't see each other and i stay at his house almost every night... so I'm confused with the whole thing myself. So GUYS ..PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THAT MEANS!! Im extremly sad about it..

Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
I've used that line and she would insist that I was lying even though I didn't want to be in a relationship. She just assumed that all people want to be in a relationship.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
I think it can be sort of true. After my divorce I definitely went through a period of time where I didn't want to date. I liked being single, not having to answer to anyone, etc. I dated two different guys who were great guys, but I just didn't want to be in a relationship, and that's what I told them. But now that I am ready for a relationship I know I still wouldn't want to be with those guys. I think if I had met someone who knocked my socks off I would have tried to figure out how to make it work. But I'll honestly never know.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracklife View Post
Well i'm seeing someone who told me from the start that he did not want a girlfriend, however that has been since Jan and its now Sept. My feelings are deeper and he still states "no relationship", but not a day goes by that we don't see each other and i stay at his house almost every night... so I'm confused with the whole thing myself. So GUYS ..PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THAT MEANS!! Im extremly sad about it..
Been there and done that...sounds like he's just killing time until he finds someone he does want to be with. I wouldn't spend that much time with someone who won't claim me as their SO.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM

313 posts, read 728,416 times
I know a guy who does this. A male friend. His ex was very bad, so he seems to think that every women in the world has to pay for that!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM

9 posts, read 20,381 times
I think it is all about chemistry. If you ask someone out and they say "I don't want a relationship with anyone right now"- Maybe they just didn't eat right that day- maybe their blood sugar is low. You could ask them if they are hungry
(I'm not very friendly when I'm hungry or tired)

Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
There is no way of knowing if it's personal or not. Sometimes the person saying this doesn't even know when they're saying it if it's personal or not. Because of that, it's better to take them at face value and not take it personally.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
this thread reminds me of that thread, "I just can't understand why everyone wouldn't want a baby?!"

Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracklife View Post
Really?! You've heard the phrase about the milk and the cow, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships