Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,832 times

Advertisements

I'm asking because those people that get married and divorced seem to think their relationship was going to be different from those other people that got divorced.

Please, don't misunderstand the post---I'm not telling people to go in thinking they'll get a divorce. I'm asking do people consider the possibility that it could happen to them?

Did you ever think this? What causes to people think their relationship is different.

The divorce rate is high, do people consider the possibility that it could happen to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
The divorce rate is high, do people consider the possibility that it could happen to them?
No, I never did.

Last edited by srjth; 08-21-2014 at 11:56 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Have you ever been in love, Rocco?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:32 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
When I got married, I didn't expect it would end one day, and other people's choices in their own personal lives has never crossed my mind because it has nothing to do with me. I find it astonishing that so many people who don't even have relationship experience spend a lot of time fearing other people's divorces, as if it has any bearing on their lives.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I'm asking because those people that get married and divorced seem to think their relationship was going to be different from those other people that got divorced.

Please, don't misunderstand the post---I'm not telling people to go in thinking they'll get a divorce. I'm asking do people consider the possibility that it could happen to them?

Did you ever think this? What causes to people think their relationship is different.

Everyone goes into a relationship with the best intentions. Everyone thinks every serious relationship will be different, until its not. Thats just the nature of life on the planet Earth, it has nothing to do with divorce rates and crap.

The divorce rate is actually down, because people aren't getting married as much as they were before. When people are getting married, its to someone they actually want to be with for a long time.

Marriage, as it stands today, was developed when people only lived to 40 years old, 50 at the most. So if you were married at 20 or 30, you might only have 20 years with someone. Hell back then, husbands and wives would just kill one another many times, and then they were "widows/widowers".

Old 08-22-2014, 09:44 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
^^^What??^^^

Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Marriage, as it stands today, was developed when people only lived to 40 years old, 50 at the most. So if you were married at 20 or 30, you might only have 20 years with someone. Hell back then, husbands and wives would just kill one another many times, and then they were "widows/widowers".
I guess we're just not as resilient these days. We only get killed once.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The divorce rate is actually down, because people aren't getting married as much as they were before. When people are getting married, its to someone they actually want to be with for a long time.

I think you need to lay down now and sleep it off and then come back and read what you wrote

Old 08-22-2014, 09:51 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I guess we're just not as resilient these days. We only get killed once.
Can't rep you. Best post ever.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:52 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
When I got married, I didn't expect it would end one day, and other people's choices in their own personal lives has never crossed my mind because it has nothing to do with me. I find it astonishing that so many people who don't even have relationship experience spend a lot of time fearing other people's divorces, as if it has any bearing on their lives.
This stuck out at me....especially the bolded.

I am guilty of this, but fear is not the only thing that kept me from being with someone. I believe a lot of people without relationship experience or very little experience are like this mainly because of the possibility of that person's relationship reflecting on one they may get into with someone they are interested in, in the future. This a flaw a lot of people have, when they witness something negative with only a few they have been exposed to, they think EVERYONE is like that.

I am more open minded than I was before, at least I try to be. I don't go along with the crowd but it seems like a lot of other people do (I know I may be going of base, but I am sure you get what I am saying). I started thinking everyone believed the same thing because so many other people I encountered did. I know that it seems silly but being sheltered and inexperience can cause things like that to happen.

When I had liked a guy, people would always tell me over and over that each guy was no good, and I would end up getting hurt. Now that it has happened the few times I have liked someone, it is part of the reason I feel discouraged and apprehensive towards relationships.

Last edited by Auraliea; 08-22-2014 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships