Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:21 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,507 times

Advertisements

Avoid him, why drag yourself through all those feelings again? 'cause that's what is going to happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Agree with everyone else, you're just going to set yourself up for another heartbreak...

Old 08-20-2009, 08:06 AM

13 posts, read 25,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Hi! I'd like your advice on my situation.
The break-up was amicable, everything ended in good terms, and he insisted we remain friends, even though he never did contact me after that.
[...]

So, now, almost 3 months later, he texts me to tell me he just got back from his vacation and wanted to know how I was. I wasn't expecting him to contact me at all and was excited to see his text.
My advice is NO WAY, JOSE.

Relationships that end "amicably" take the longest to get over. 3 months is definitely not long enough.

If you were excited to get his text, you are not over him. You will know when you are over him when you get a text from him and you don't get excited.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:16 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Not only would I not see him, but I would distance myself from him as much as possible....plan things to do, keep busy, tell him, thanks very much but I've got other plans and can't make it....

Good Luck
Creme

Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,754 times
Should I agree to meet my ex?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
all it will do is break your heart again

Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 AM

946 posts, read 2,918,677 times
Thank you everyone for your advice. Wow, not one person adviced it would be ok to meet him, I guess it must be for something. I'm taking the advice and not meeting him.

On the one hand, I wanted to go out with him just to prove to myself that I am over him, it would be wonderful if I went out with him and I went home feeling great because I have no feelings towards him anymore. But, what if the opposite also happened? I don't want to risk it.

Also, like I said, I will be seeing him once school starts as we have most classes together. I shouldn't associate with him then either, right? I'll be friendly if he talks to me, but I shouldn't meet with him outside of class? Will I ever get to that point where I feel indifferent towards him and only see him as a friend? Because honestly, right now, I feel great and feel like I'm over him, but I don't know what would happen once I start associating with him again.

Also, would this be a good reply?:

"Actually, I don't see the point. We'll be seeing each other at school anyway so we can catch up then " or "Sorry, but I changed my mind. It'll feel weird meeting with you, but I'll see you at school."

Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
On the one hand, I wanted to go out with him just to prove to myself that I am over him, it would be wonderful if I went out with him and I went home feeling great because I have no feelings towards him anymore. But, what if the opposite also happened? I don't want to risk it.
Well, there are lots of things that can happen. He may announce that he is in love and getting married to a fantastic girl, and how meeting someone as fabulous as his fiance made him want to become a better person and make amends to all the people he might have hurt -- like you, for example -- by buying them cups of coffee. (Your probable reaction: ) You don't need to undertake these risks to prove anything, least of all to yourself. If you are over him, you are over him, and there is no need for a "test". If you are not over him, jam it somewhere to the back of your mind and don't put yourself in situations where your feelings might be hurt.

Quote:
Also, like I said, I will be seeing him once school starts as we have most classes together. I shouldn't associate with him then either, right? I'll be friendly if he talks to me, but I shouldn't meet with him outside of class?
My advice is to keep such contacts to a minimum. You don't have to avoid him religiously, but don't get in the habit of "hanging out" with him, either.

Quote:
Will I ever get to that point where I feel indifferent towards him and only see him as a friend? Because honestly, right now, I feel great and feel like I'm over him, but I don't know what would happen once I start associating with him again.
Even if you are over your break up, I think it's impossible to be friends with someone you once loved -- unless, perhaps, it's many, many, MANY years later. There will always be that tension between you, and nothing good will come out of it. Friendship with an ex-lover is a lousy consolation prize.

Quote:
Also, would this be a good reply?:

"Actually, I don't see the point. We'll be seeing each other at school anyway so we can catch up then " or "Sorry, but I changed my mind. It'll feel weird meeting with you, but I'll see you at school."
I wouldn't put it in those terms. I think it's better to use one of those generic excuses, like you are too busy, you've got other plans, etc., etc., etc., and make it sound natural, no "hints". This will convey the message that you aren't really interested, without giving him the idea that you are afraid to meet him due to still having feelings for him.

"Gosh, you know, my work hours are just insane lately! It would be very difficult for me to get away. See you in school!"

Old 08-20-2009, 03:56 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
If you're truly mature and over someone you can be friendly with that person. Even if you once loved him or her. I'm a testimony to that and I know other people that are as well.

Just b/c you loved someone once doesn't mean that you can never be friendly and that it'll take you years before you can get to the point of being friendly or interacting with the person. You can still love and care about that person but in a different way. You come to terms with things and if you're truly over that person you'll be ok with being friendly. It won't hurt you to talk to the person, unless he or she did something that was totally horrendous.

However, if you break off a relationship with a guy or woman that you love b/c you're running from something, then hell yes its going to be hard to have a friendship with or talk to that person b/c you're prolly still in love with him or her. Hiding never works. It only masks the problem.

To the op, just be friendly in your calls, texts or emails with him. You don't have to spend time with him if you don't want to. Just move at your own pace. It seems like you're doing ok and that you're friendly to him so just continue to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships