Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This is not about wanting to start an argument. Every forum is a place to discuss and when someone says something that someone else strongly disagrees with, how can you not expect it to turn into a debate? If I start a thread that say it's OK to cheat on your partner, should that just be dismissed as "well everyone has their preferences"? I would certainly hope not. I'm sorry if you feel like you're being attacked. I don't think I or LizCab are trying to be combative or argue just for argument's sake. But we strongly disagree with some of the statements you made. If you have a problem with that, then you need to keep that in mind the next time you post something. If I post something that I know people might disagree with, I don't complain that others challenge it or turn it into a debate. If anything, I think that's a good thing because it promotes better understanding of differing viewpoints.
I don't feel attacked. But I do feel you are missing what I am saying simply for argument's sake. You keep changing your story about weather or not my preferences are wrong, or is it just other people who are wrong. I've read what you have to say and about your ideas regarding other races and cultures, and you have your points. But I am not saying the opposite of what you are. That's what I am argueining here. You and I are not saying different things, but for some reason, you think we are.

You have made some comments that have been stereotypical in nature though, and I just wonder when all the stereotyping is going to end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,420 times
Sometimes it's in the interpretation. Here is a post from the retirement board:

Quote:
I also think "trailer trash" is a euphemism for "white trash," which I think implies that black people are all trash, so you don't need to say "black trash," and "white trash" makes those white people the equivalent of perceived "black trash."
Now that's a stretch. 'Trailer trash'....equals...........'Black people are messy'.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:36 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their preferences. But it makes a huge difference what those preferences are based on. If you say you don't want to date someone who's black because you don't find dark skin attractive or you say you want kids, but don't want to deal with having to raise a mixed race child, I doubt anyone would judge you for that. But if I say I don't want to someone black because I think blacks are inferior, then obviously I expect to be condemned for holding such a view.
And THAT is taking this entire discussion into a totally different area, where it has no business being - certainly not here in the Relationships forum. That is why so many of these kinds of threads get pulled (didn't a rule get implemented at one time to not even go there on this forum? ) I would never ever assume that anyone here, stating their preferences, would have such neanderthal logic behind them.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:36 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Oh please. First, you defend your weak "law of averages" argument by saying it only applies to "everyday encounters you have with people on the street". How do you think a lot of people form their prejudices? It's based on their own personal experience and "everyday encounters". I met one guy who's afraid of young black men. Why? Because his "everyday encounters" with them were on the subway where the majority looked and acted like gangstas. Maybe, like you, he applied the law of averages and said, "well most of the ones I see act like that."

Second, you resort to attacking me personally. That says more about you than it does me.
(A) Didn't say it ONLY applies to everyday encounters, but for the most part it does. Most people form their prejudices from parents, it's learned for the most part. Usually not based on actually experiences and interactions, unless that person was a crime victim or had a bad experience with someone of another race. But again, that's the exception and not the rule.

(B) Your friend who is afraid of young black men is applying survival instincts from his personal experience. What do you expect? That's how we form our opinions of others, from personal experience. A black woman who has been discriminated against by white men in the work place may develop a negative opinion of white men based on her personal experience. While her opinions and outlook may not be a matter of fact, she has a RIGHT to feel that way based on her experience. It doesn't make her opinions fact, just something she chooses to apply to her everyday life. Does that make her a bad person?

(C) I did not attack you personally. I appreciate that you can debate a topic and remain civil for the most part. I made on observation which can be proven by going back and referring to several other posts where you go on for pages and pages trying to make a point, and when all else fails out come the obscure analogies and the accusation that others are making a "weak" argument because it doesn't jive with your idealistic view of the world. I don't mind a good debate, but at some point you have to move on. Say your peace and respect others opinions which may differ from yours. If you and I were sitting here in person having this discussion we'd probably wave one another off and laugh about it, but we are limited to the written word without mannerisms, facial expressions, and inflection. So don't take it too hard if I break your chops a little, I'm reasonably thick skinned and you can give it right back to me, cool?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
This thread was more fun when we were talking about colored penises

Old 09-11-2009, 03:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
OK, this is where I'm going to start a debate for the sake of starting a debate and declare your last statement sexist. It's sexist because we're not talking about colored vaginas too.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:

Old 09-11-2009, 04:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
OK, this is where I'm going to start a debate for the sake of starting a debate and declare your last statement sexist. It's sexist because we're not talking about colored vaginas too.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
We can but I've never actually had one at eye level so I wouldn't be able to add much to the conversation.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:09 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
Quote:
You're nasty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships