Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I always questioned why someone would want a cat, bird, snake or the like. What the heck do they do!? I just never found them to be as interactive or responsive as a dog.
I agree with the snake - totally. A bird...hmmm, well a girlfriend of mine had a cockatiel that was terribly entertaining...really smart, so I could see the attraction there - but too much mess for me. Cats? Oh my...endlessly entertaining. But also very independent...which is I guess why I don't mind them as much. If I were to let ours do so (technically, my son's cat - not mine) she'd be in my lap purring and kneading every darn night...but I can't stand the cat hair!! I've just become too independent myself, to ever get that attached to an animal now, I think. But who knows...never say never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Are they all in your house?
Lordy, no. Sometimes some of the dogs stay inside at night when Im all alone or it is real cold.

Quote:
Well at least you have 9 Italians to help take care of them...
Hum, 9 italians. Now theres something to think about!
Not that kind of guinea.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
LOL. That would be me. wait, reaady? 3 horses, 1 donkey, 3 goats, 4 dogs, 5 cats, 20 chickens, 9 guineas, oh my!
Yes, but you live in a very rural setting - on a sort of farm don't you? That completely changes the scenario. I think given where you live, that is perfectly fine. If I lived on a farm, and had the resources, I would certainly have a horse or two (love them and love to ride), goats (I just LOVE baby goats - oh so much fun!) a dog or two, and you can't have a farm without cats, but I might pass on the fowl - I was never good at collecting eggs - I always got pecked!!

My issues are with having animals in the house. Outside? Perfect.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:59 AM

358 posts, read 983,291 times
Dogs rule, cats sucks!

End of thread!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I'd say a dog person would be more for me, provided that they actually take care of and train the dog and it's part of the family.

I guess I don't understand cat people so much because I don't get what they're trying to get out of the pet experience. Doesn't make them bad people or anything. But it's not for me.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
A cat person has/likes cats and a dog person has/likes dogs.
The he|| you say! LOL.

Quote:
The men Ive known that are true cat people, dont like dogs at all, have all seemed a little weird to me. I wouldnt call them fiminine tho. Men that have little sweater wearing, foo foo dogs make me roll my eyes. I would much rather they have 10 cats.
I agree with this. I don't like foo-foo dogs. Infantilizing them also gets under my skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, I'm a dog people...allergic to cats....and just for the record...I think whoever wrote that article is a nut...honestly, how they define people today or put lables on them is very shallow minded and certainly jugemental...I wouldn't even think twice about anyone, who had a cat, or make a statement like that....sheeesh...
I wish I could find the article now, but the question posed was whether or not asking a person "Cat or dog?" was actually a question on how masculine or feminine they were. I had never thought about it that way; foo-foo dogs being a good example of how male dog lovers can be criticized for the same.

We're all animal lovers in my family. My grandmother had many pets over the years and I can say she was a little eccentric. I have to agree with the others that the number of pets would make me question more. That said, I've always said I'd love a huge lot of land so I can save and house stray animals. I love dogs for their loyalty and unconditional love. I love cats for their independence. I think I'm pretty balanced, but that is also a matter of opinion....lol.

Thanks to all for the input.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
The he|| you say! LOL.

I agree with this. I don't like foo-foo dogs. Infantilizing them also gets under my skin.

I wish I could find the article now, but the question posed was whether or not asking a person "Cat or dog?" was actually a question on how masculine or feminine they were. I had never thought about it that way; foo-foo dogs being a good example of how male dog lovers can be criticized for the same.

We're all animal lovers in my family. My grandmother had many pets over the years and I can say she was a little eccentric. I have to agree with the others that the number of pets would make me question more. That said, I've always said I'd love a huge lot of land so I can save and house stray animals. I love dogs for their loyalty and unconditional love. I love cats for their independence. I think I'm pretty balanced, but that is also a matter of opinion....lol.

Thanks to all for the input.

LOL, I will tell ya this...never thought I'd own a foo foo dog....always had big dogs all my life, but now I own a Bichon, and they are just as loyal and unconditional and loving as any other dog....so, my bad....

hugs to ya

Old 09-14-2009, 12:50 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
LOL, I will tell ya this...never thought I'd own a foo foo dog....always had big dogs all my life, but now I own a Bichon, and they are just as loyal and unconditional and loving as any other dog....so, my bad....

hugs to ya
The Bichon we had was the most cat-like dog we ever owned. We referred to her as the pillow princess. People thought we owned a cat because they'd see her on the back of the couch looking out the front window. We now have a rescue GSD who must have grown up with cats. He likes to grab a tennis ball and bat it around the room with his front paws.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:02 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:

hugs to ya
I prefer a big dog. Had a Dachsund growing up, so I'm not crazy about small and yappy, as much as I love them all. Labs and Weimeraners are more my speed, they're just awesome.

I knew a lady growing up who had a bunch of cats. She was nice, not very sociable, somewhat of a recluse. Mysterious even.

I also remember an ad for Fido, a cell phone company in Canada, where they had photos of dog owners and their pets and they actually looked alike. Too funny.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM

18,124 posts, read 11,758,079 times
I've always thought a man with cats is an "Albert Einstein" type of guy.

A man with a dogs is a "Rough in the Mud" type of guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships