Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

The only breakup I initiated was with a crack user. So, most of the time they are the ones to initiate the breakup.

So I'm guessing that whole "I'll love you forever" thing was a lie. Oh well, I expected nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 01:19 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,113 times
I always get grief when I tell this story but, I found a platinum diamond ring at work once and no one knew I found it. I waitied an hour assuming someone would come for it but they didn't so I gave it to the manager. My coworkers flipped! They said they wouldn't have turned it in and I was crazy not to pawn it for college expenses (I was working my way through school). The next day a loady came to pick it up and thanked me but didn't give a reward. They all said no good deed goes unpunished!

Old 09-20-2009, 01:35 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
The next day a loady came to pick it up and thanked me but didn't give a reward. They all said no good deed goes unpunished!
Should someone be rewarded for simply doing the right thing?

Old 09-20-2009, 01:38 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
I always get grief when I tell this story but, I found a platinum diamond ring at work once and no one knew I found it. I waitied an hour assuming someone would come for it but they didn't so I gave it to the manager. My coworkers flipped! They said they wouldn't have turned it in and I was crazy not to pawn it for college expenses (I was working my way through school). The next day a loady came to pick it up and thanked me but didn't give a reward. They all said no good deed goes unpunished!
I don't believe that statement is applicable to this situation. You weren't punished. No one harmed you, nor were you harmed by your gesture. Why and what happened to basic 'good faith' in people that they can't do the right thing without getting 'rewarded' or paid for it?

If I were you I would feel pretty darn good about myself for doing what you did and having the knowledge that you did a good deed for someone else should be a reward in itself.

Just the other day I went through a drive-thru and the girl in the window was getting frustrated and overwhelmed and there were cars lining up and she looked out the window but the people ahead of me were gone. She was trying to figure something out and I said, 'What did they do short you?" She said yes, and heck I had what she needed in the change thing on my car door and gave it to her and told her to have a better day.

Now, did I expect some free food or that the jacknut in the street wouldn't block the drive for me to get out and into the other lane as I was leaving as a courtesy, oh heck no.

You have good ethical and moral standards so tell your greedy, money grubbing co-workers to shove it.

It may not happen immediately or by the same person we do a favor for or the right thing and it may, sometimes, take years, but 'reward' (not necessarily monetarily) comes and for people who don't do the right thing I believe and witnessed they'll do themselves in all by themselves - you don't need to help them. It's called Karma.

Last edited by Thursday007; 09-20-2009 at 01:51 AM..

Old 09-20-2009, 04:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Quote:
You did the right thing. I would never give you grief for this. It would have been nice if the woman would've given you a reward - she should have, but some people are just clueless. My dad used to say, "Doing the right thing is it's own reward." I agree with this, but it sure doesn't pay the bills.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:03 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
Well, in some cases I say "finders, keepers" but you always have to do what you think is right. So in the case of the ring, you did what was right and the fact you felt good about your decision should be enough reward. To heck with what others say, you have to live with yourself first..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships