Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 01:54 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

I've found it to be very tough and that other people get upset in the process. This upsets me. I feel like at times it is necessary so as to not get all walked over. But then they are used to walking all over you so it upsets the apple cart. At times it can cost relationships and then you (I) end up with no friends. I know the idea is to make new friends, but it's hard in that in-between stage.

Anyway, has anyone else ever set out to completely change things and found the reaction to your change has been negative? If so, how do you move forward and not let these reactions bother you? You can know it's the right thing to do yet it is very uncomfortable for both people.

Recently I've set a boundary with someone I've known for 35 years. I visit my home town and have always gone to her house to spend the night. This time around I've told her I won't be doing this and that she can drive down to where I AM AT which is what I want. I want to stay in the hotel and just meet for lunch or dinner. Needless to say, I may not end up seeing her at all, but I'm not budging on this. I know she is upset over this. Whatever. But this is still upsetting me! Again, what is your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,182,589 times
ok so now you are totally without...may I ask why would you change it?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:04 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
If you've done everything you can to assure them that everything is still sunshine and ravioli between you, then it's on her to come around and get over it. A close enough friend will understand and respect your choices and not look to create tension over something so petty. Adopt a take it or leave it attitude and let it be her heart attack, not yours. I've had to establish some difficult boundaries before, and sometimes it's changed the course of the friendship, perhaps placed some distance between us, but it was something I knew I had to do. Everyone knows what's best for themselves and they shouldn't compromise that for anyone.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
ok so now you are totally without...may I ask why would you change it?
Because I want it to change. Because it is what I want. Because life is short and at some point a person has to consider said person's wants. Because it's the right thing to do. Oh, and not totally without. I am in the process of making new friends but it's clearly not the same as knowing a person for five, ten or 35 years.

Surely I cannot be the only person who examines relationships and found the need to change them?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:11 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Surely I cannot be the only person who examines relationships and found the need to change them?
When it's a 35 year friendship, that usually means ending it.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
When it's a 35 year friendship, that usually means ending it.
How so? Too much of a change in the dynamics?

What is your experience?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:21 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,182,589 times
Quote:
Because I want it to change. Because it is what I want. Because life is short and at some point a person has to consider said person's wants. Because it's the right thing to do. Oh, and not totally without. I am in the process of making new friends but it's clearly not the same as knowing a person for five, ten or 35 years.

Good for you, I must have misunderstood you and your post. I took it as if you were unsure.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
Good for you, I must have misunderstood you and your post. I took it as if you were unsure.
I am unsure to the extent I don't know how to not let it bother me. I grew up as the smoother-over (middle children jump in!). I am tired of it. I just talked to my mother today, changed the dynamics and, predictably enough, she is upset. Now I feel like I have to smooth things over.

This is why I want to know others' experiences with this subject. I would like to learn from others how they have managed to successfully changed things, yet keep the relationship on good terms (if this is even possible). I don't want to walk around feeling upset and yet, once again, caving in and acquiescing to them. I want someone else to smooth things over for a change!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
What about it upset you? That they were offended? Or that you feel guilty?

I think changing stuff like that always makes things just feel off for awhile even if it is not a drama.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
I just talked to my mother today, changed the dynamics and, predictably enough, she is upset.
If I am reading this right we are talking about changing the dynamic with your mother rather than a "lady friend". Its two very different types of relationships. As a mother myself, I would also be upset if my son announced that when he came into town, he would be staying at a hotel instead of staying at home. Obviously it is your choice but it seems to be a very harsh to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships