Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:08 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times

Advertisements

I just found out this morning that an old aquaintance I used to work with passed away on Monday of a heart attack. He couldn't have been more than 45 yrs old. I believe he lived a very free and happy life, but ate very badly and drank way too much. In short, the life he lived was a blast, but it ended way too soon.

What I was wondering is if anyone else has found out someone they hadn't seen in a long time passed away. Why hadn't you kept in touch and how did you find out what happened? The only way I found out, was we recently reconnected on Facebook through a mutual friend that lives in London of all places. She was very close to him and contacted me in a panic this morning because she hadn't heard from him but started seeing RIP messages on his Wall. I feel so awful for her, I don't think she'll be able to make it back for his funeral.

Please share your stories.

EDIT: I just found out he was only 36.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:10 AM

748 posts, read 1,313,798 times
Ah well, I moved from my home country to the US about 10 years ago and found out about 3 months ago that a high school classmate of mine passed away shortly after I left.

I was shocked, I still am...

Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 AM

I just realized via his facebook page that he was only 36. I can't believe it, he was so young...

Old 09-30-2009, 09:17 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
I really hope that both of your friends knew The Lord before they died and accepted Gods free undeserved forgiveness of all the many sins they committed in their short lifetime. Death comes very swift for many of us , and for most, it is unsafe for them to die . Now is the time to secure Ones eternity for eternity is truly just one heartbeat away. No..this is not 'religousity' im speaking of here...it is getting reconciled with the actual Creator of the Universe . Im glad I recieved his free gift some 25 years ago.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 AM

748 posts, read 1,313,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I just realized via his facebook page that he was only 36. I can't believe it, he was so young...
I am sorry for your loss...

Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 AM

78,334 posts, read 60,527,398 times
It hits you hard when you are younger, I think because it reminds us of our own mortality. I've had some moments of depression around this myself....moreso lately and it sucks.

I hope the guy didn't have a wife and kids.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Well that is really a shocker. Deaths like that (young) always make me feel off and introspective.
I think the most shocking death I had to deal with was when I friend I had not talked to in a couple months was murdered by random street violence (armed robbery). I found that out by watching the news. That was really just..I don't know. Made me feel emotionally removed for a bit. We had just lost contact because I was busy with school and life. It really was not even that long of a gap. The creepy thing is that the year before someone had broke into the house he was sharing with some girls and he was pistol whipped. The kid did not live some crazy lifestyle. He was just a student. But he got shot/died because he was not being smart and walking home alone past 2. Many kids do that here so its not really abnormal. It was sad because the kid that did it to him was only 16. At least the shooter turned himself in and he looked really upset over it. No baby g-thug face or anything. It was just...bad.
The kid claimed that the gun went off accidently. I do not know if that is true, but if you ever handled guns you know it just takes a light squeeze to make it go off.

Sorry for you loss of your friend.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:05 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,208 times
Last week a fellow I graduated with in 1983 from Nyack High School in New York pasted away. He was only 44. I remember him from my physicas class and he was a pretty cool guy. He left behind a wife and a young daughter. I really shocked because he died so suddenly. As I was viewing his year book picture I kept thinking a person is not supposed to die at 44 years of age. They are still rather young. I said a prayer for him and his family.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 AM

When someone passes so suddenly it's hard to accept, especially when they are so young. He had so many plans, but when you're our age (35-ish) you still think there's a lifetime ahead to make changes and fulfill dreams. It truly is a wake-up call that life is too short to spend it doing things that are meaningless, like drinking. I found out the day after starting this thread, that he had been drinking very heavily, passed out and in to a coma, the next day he died of heart failure...

Old 10-02-2009, 08:17 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
A best friends of many years that I hardly ever got to see was murdered. We both worked on the river and worked different schedules so making a connection with her when we were both off was next to impossible. We always waved at each other when our boats passed. Sometimes it would be several years before we both were off at the same time and connect. However, one time we DID connect and went out to lunch and had such a great time, little did I know that would be the last time I saw her and it was only a few months before she was killed.

How I found out was our boats passed during the night and our pilot came down to eat breakfast and told me we had passed her boat during the night. I asked if she was on or off because we were due to get off in a few days and I was hoping she was off.. He said she was off so I got excited at the thought of us connecting. (I have to give that guy credit, I was eating and he gave me time to finish eating before he told me what happened.) When I was done eating, he told me he had talked to the pilot on her boat that night and that she got off on Wednesday and by Thursday morning, she was dead.. killed in a house fire. Soon as he said house fire, I screamed at him "THAT was no accident! She was MURDERED!"... My reaction stunned him. It was to much of a coincidence that her Mom had been killed in a house fire a few years before and the fire was set to cover up that she had been murdered by her husband and they had yet to charge him with the murder and she was not letting it go, staying on the police about her Mom's murder, pushing them to charge him with the murder. I was thinking her step Dad had killed her to shut her up.. But couldn't figure out how he did it as he lived far away, she lived in a rural area and someone would have seen him or his car. Her son lived with her so it wasn't like he could have got in the house unseen..

The pilot had gotten the name of the funeral home and the phone number so I called them later to tell them I was on a boat and couldn't come to the funeral and asked them to offer the family my condolences for me, then I asked about her son and how he was handling it since I knew he adored his Mother.. That is when they told me he was in jail, charged with her murder, that he had killed her and had scratches all over his body from the fight she put up as he killed her..... Well, I had a complete meltdown hearing that, all alone in my room on the boat and that day I changed forever..

He was a person I watched grow up and I loved him so I lost 2 best friends that night. He and I palled around together a LOT when his Mom first went to work on the river. He missed her so much and would show up on my doorstep with a bag of taco's and a bag of movies and we would hang out together for hours or we would go out to eat and just did things together with me filling in the void of his Mother being gone. They were always together, you never saw one without the other, they were closer than I ever saw any mother and son.

I am still not over it to this day and that happened about 6 years ago. I still cry when I am on the boat, look out the window and see her boat going by.

What happened that night she got home is not important. No excuse will ever justify him killing his own mother. What is important is that I lost my best friend AND her son forever, he is in prison doing life now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships