Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:38 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times

Advertisements

Have you met people that seem to drain your energy? Some are emotional vampires, others drama queens, but I have to deal with someone who is like this at work. Ugh. Its like they feed off your energy, and they get angry if your in a bad mood since the plate isnt full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 05:53 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Have you met people that seem to drain your energy? Some are emotional vampires, others drama queens, but I have to deal with someone who is like this at work. Ugh. Its like they feed off your energy, and they get angry if your in a bad mood since the plate isnt full.
Yea, for me it's people who talk NON STOP! See, I can have long conversation, and I love "CONVERSATIONS," (even with strangers/homeless people) but when somebody just talks and does not listen it's just a drain.

I knew a person like this, and for this person, the root was selfishness; he wanted to get things off HIS chest but did not have any consideration or want to stand by to listen to anybody else's issues.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:57 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,583,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yea, for me it's people who talk NON STOP! See, I can have long conversation, and I love "CONVERSATIONS," (even with strangers/homeless people) but when somebody just talks and does not listen it's just a drain.

I knew a person like this, and for this person, the root was selfishness; he wanted to get things off HIS chest but did not have any consideration or want to stand by to listen to anybody else's issues.
Ditto on that. My FIL is exactly this way. I seem to be on a roll ranting about him tonight. As soon as he is done talking (which is seldon), he tunes you right out.

Talking to him is awful. Complains about everything. Not a fun person to be around.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:07 PM

225 posts, read 643,886 times
Yep!!! I've tried everything I could think of....cheer them up, ignore them when they're negative and support them when positive, suggest therapy over and over.

The current vampire has been around for years. Everyday, several times a day....it starts with a loud sigh. If I don't respond, the vampire comes over to dump toxic thoughts on me. Over and over. The vampire doesn't have any friends, at least not ones that aren't suffering in some over-the-top catastrophic way (real suffering - abuse, health, poverty). Finally, the vampire is getting therapy and now I have to listen to the details of the sessions. My current coping method is when the vampire starts complaining, I walk it over to Person B, ask B what they think and once the vampire and B start talking, I leave.

I've been through other vampires before, but this one is a major depressant. My BF is sick of hearing about it, so I keep it to myself.

Members of the vampire's family escaped, finally. I will too. Soon, before the last ounce of sunshine is sucked from my soul.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
We are friends with one couple where the husband is like that. Don't get me wrong. We like him a lot, but he's really ADD and can't stay on one topic for more than 60 seconds at a time. So you spend your time being whipsawed between one topic or another. Or if you go anywhere with them, he's always wanting to go somewhere and check it out. Honestly, the guy can't sit still for ten minutes at a time. So I like the guy a lot, but can only take him in relatively small doses.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
Oh yeah! A former business partner of mine just sapped me of energy. I finally sold out to him. And then he accused me of causing him stress.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:10 PM

52,222 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:

I agree, I can't stand people that talk and talk and talk and then don't listen when they do manage to shut the heck up.

I was on a flight awhile back and this guy was sitting in front of me and he was bending this woman's ear off for the whole flight. About an hour, and this chatty Kathy would just not shut up. I felt like physically assaulting him after a while.

I'm just a little mifted that I let him irritate me so much.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:26 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

They're everywhere! They're everywhere!

Old 10-16-2009, 08:36 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
An old friend of mine was like that. She talked constantly - about herself - and any time I tried to interject something to relate, she would somehow swing the conversation right back to her. It was truly a gift she had.

I think I can also be an energy drainer. I don't do the drama queen thing or talk to much - quite the opposite. I've had people tell me that trying to get anything from me is like trying to get water from a rock. I'm not a conversationalist with people I am not close to so it's a struggle for them. I can see how it's draining.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Quote:

I work with a lady like this...she is very caught up with her drama and what her needs are...she is manic depressive so I just nod my head not to upset her...or if I don't care...I say "I feel sick...think I need to go to the bathroom" works every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships