Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times

Advertisements

Alright let me give a description of the type of clothes I wear. Im 5'8 140 pounds. I usually wear size 36 or 38 jeans. And I usually wear a XL or 2XL shirt. With basketball shoes and a New Era fitted cap which is usually size 7 and 5/8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 03:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
You're thinking old-school.

Who has more chippies hanging off their arms than anyone else? Movie stars. Rock stars. Rappers. Convicted felons.

Who dresses like "slobs"? The same group.

Ever see Wall Street in NYC on a business day? Talk about monochromatic jumpsuits. Yes, it reveals a lot about the wearers. A lot.

Not something I'd particularly be interested in, but hey, they're neat and clean, and that's the important thing, right? Doesn't matter if they scr*w a few thousand old widows out of their life savings - they still respect themselves, I'm sure.

Some of the best, smartest, kindest people I've ever met have dressed like they shopped in a dumpster.
See? Almost like clockwork. Blah blah blah blahbity blah.

Few women are really stupid enough to date a felon. As for the rest, all women like to be around celebrities, and are typically willing to overlook whatever ridiculous garb they're wearing so they can bask in his reflected glow...so there goes your argument. Poof.

Tell you what. Check out what Johnny Depp wears the next time on the red carpet. Now, go to the store, put together the same look, and go out and meet women older than your basic teenybopper. They'll laugh their collective asses off at you. Because Johnny Depp can get away with it, while you can't.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

I personally really like those Tommy Bahama shirts as I think they are perfect "casual friday" wear. My wife refuses to let me purchase a single one because she says that they are style for older gentlemen. She says that when I get into my 60s and 70s she'll be okay with it, but not at all right now.
Lao, man, I like you a lot, so I'm going to level with you and tell you the Awful Truth. No man, in the history of shirts, has ever looked good in one of those.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:38 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Lao, man, I like you a lot, so I'm going to level with you and tell you the Awful Truth. No man, in the history of shirts, has ever looked good in one of those.
LMAO!! Thats pretty much what the wife says.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:40 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
...so there goes your argument. Poof.
I don't see how. And I'm sooo sorry to burden you with all this horseshine.

You claim clothes make the man. I claim man makes the clothes, and we both seem to agree that it works in this case. I don't see the problem here.

Quote:
Tell you what. Check out what Johnny Depp wears the next time on the red carpet. Now, go to the store, put together the same look, and go out and meet women older than your basic teenybopper. They'll laugh their collective asses off at you. Because Johnny Depp can get away with it, while you can't.
YES!!! Because the clothes-don't-matter!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LMAO!! Thats pretty much what the wife says.
I took my 12-year-old son clothes shopping two weeks ago, and they had a Tommy Bahama table. I held one up and said the same thing to my son. Three different women there with their husbands started laughing. One looked at her husband and said, "See?"

I mean, it's entirely possible to be comfortable, look great, and yet not look like an emotionally arrested, aging frat boy. Trust me on this.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I don't see how. And I'm sooo sorry to burden you with all this horseshine.

You claim clothes make the man. I claim man makes the clothes, and we both seem to agree that it works in this case. I don't see the problem here.

YES!!! Because the clothes-don't-matter!!!
No. Because he's wearing the kind of clothes one expects a movie star to wear. If you tried to wear that, you'd look like some cheeseball Leisure Suit Larry. An important distinction, and one that proves my point nicely. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:43 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Alright let me give a description of the type of clothes I wear. Im 5'8 140 pounds. I usually wear size 36 or 38 jeans. And I usually wear a XL or 2XL shirt. With basketball shoes and a New Era fitted cap which is usually size 7 and 5/8.
Let's see, you're probably a size 30-32 and a medium shirt. Shoes untied? When I see "kids" dressed like this I figure their brother had a growth spurt so the hand-me-down clothes are 2-3 sizes too large (I really don't think that, but I thought it was funny at the time).

I suggest you try an experiment. Get some clothes that fit, go out and see what type of reactions you get. Keep your same personality. Do you get more looks? Are they less disgusted looks?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:47 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
And how old are you? What is your level of education? What do you do for work?

And what kind of women are you attracted to? Are they college educated? What do they do for work? What are they wearing? And do you care how they dress?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:50 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And how old are you? What is your level of education? What do you do for work?

And what kind of women are you attracted to? Are they college educated? What do they do for work? What are they wearing? And do you care how they dress?
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

He probably has mostly sports jerseys, wears baseball cap either backwards or sideways and is not currently enrolled in an MBA program.

That "style" of clothing screams "gangster/criminal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships