Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times

Advertisements

It never bothered me when dates would ask my occupation, I never discussed pay because I find that to be more personal and that will eventually come out but not right away. Likewise, I never asked someone what they made but rather I think it's perfectly normal to discuss your profession in general "get to know you" conversation. My thing is, if you have a job and aren't up to your eyeballs in debt then you are doing okay. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:40 AM

748 posts, read 1,314,111 times
It has never bothered me. It is part of the "getting to know each other" phase. I mean I personally would like to know that my potential "date/SO" is not some loser who still leaves in mom's basement!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
It is just one of the basic converstation topics. It dosent bother me but I do hate trying to explain exactly what we do. For some odd reason a hand full of ppl think Im a nurse and always ask me if I can get them pain meds for their back.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
I agree that it's just a question to learn more about someone. If "So what kind of work do you do?" is followed with, "How did you end up in that line of work?" or "Is that something that always interested you?"--then you're fine. If it's followed by, "What kind of car do you drive?" or "Will you be getting a promotion soon?"--then run.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 AM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sure, but not necessarily in the "Hi, my name is Mike and I'm so and so. What do you do?" manner. It's cold, off-putting, and does not ignite any attraction, at least as far as I'm concerned. That's best reserved for business meetings. You need some sparkle and interest before anybody even cares what you do.
Hi sierraAZ,

I completely agree. I have been with those people who do talk about their work and nothing else. I'm bored. Everyone does something for a living therefore I will find out if you have a brain by those things you are not obligated to do. If we start talking about TV a lot we could pretty much skip over what we do for a living since its not going to work out anyway.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:34 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,538 times
For me it depends who's doing the asking and how much I know about them. My job is a bit more "politically sensitive" and it depends on how far people lean to the left or the right how much I'll talk about it. If I don't know someone very well, I keep my job description very vague. If I'm on a date with someone, chances are I already know we're on the same page politically, so I'll talk about it more.

Last edited by Tropical Trouble; 11-02-2009 at 10:06 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree that it's just a question to learn more about someone. If "So what kind of work do you do?" is followed with, "How did you end up in that line of work?" or "Is that something that always interested you?"--then you're fine. If it's followed by, "What kind of car do you drive?" or "Will you be getting a promotion soon?"--then run.

Sounds good to me. I live in a smallish community. Jobs define people as much as anything, like it or not.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
From TVSG's thread that reminded me of a couple of others as well. Are any of you offended or find it intrusive, in the acquainting stages, when someone asks you what you do for a living? I've asked and have been asked and have never had a problem either way.
From TVSG's posts, I believe he also asks their credit scores and has them fill out a dating application before he'll go out with them. He then runs a background check.

That's a little over the top.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sure, but not necessarily in the "Hi, my name is Mike and I'm so and so. What do you do?" manner. It's cold, off-putting, and does not ignite any attraction, at least as far as I'm concerned. That's best reserved for business meetings. You need some sparkle and interest before anybody even cares what you do.
True; but if she asks then I'll figure she wants to know and I'll tell her.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times
It's an easy ice breaker on a date. It's one of those questions that's not too intrusive and not off limits and you can usually find something to talk about when discussing one's profession. I think it's a good question to ask when just meeting someone and getting to know that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships