Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:07 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times

Advertisements

I had a date on Friday night and it felt like a job interview. Not only a job interview but a Bad one at that.

The young lady I was with almost got upset when I said "this feels like a job interview". I wonder why?

I tried to avoid talking about anything job related( as I explained to her, let's have fun and worry about that later) such as my job title but she kept prying. I started to become annoyed as to why what I did for a living was of so much importance to her. She knows I work and my shift. For our first date, I did not think it was so important.

I almost never ask women what they do for a living at least not on the first date.

I guess I am more concerned about whether she is a quality person or not. If she has some sort of value system and lives an ethical life. As long as she can take care of her self and she has a legal and ethical job, I could careless. Your job title is not an asset to your character. Nor does it mean you're a upstanding person.

Needless to say, we parted ways on a sour note.

Have any of you ever been on the job interview date?

Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,975 times
Since work is where you spend most of your waking life, it is a big part of who you are so I would at least want to know where you worked and what you did. I think I would be suspicious and keep asking questions if you acted evasive or wouldn't tell me your job. It's just such a huge part of someone's life, I can't imagine not finding out what they did on the first date.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:12 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Normally when a person asks I just answer. The conversation will last about one minute if they probe because unless a person is in the same field, they wouldn't understand what I'm talking about. My plumber asked what I did on Friday. It didn't bother me. If someone asked what I earned, that would be weird.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Since work is where you spend most of your waking life, it is a big part of who you are so I would at least want to know where you worked and what you did. I think I would be suspicious and keep asking questions if you acted evasive or wouldn't tell me your job. It's just such a huge part of someone's life, I can't imagine not finding out what they did on the first date.
I was thinking similar. If I ask someone and they don't tell me, on or off line, I tend to make a few assumptions. There's one guy here on CD and I've decided that he consults in the selling of widgets lol. I'm sure that's annoying for him.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
I think it's extremely natural to talk about what you do for a living especially at that stage. I've had men come up to me and our initial conversation always included, 'so what do you do.' Plus, it's not that personal a question for a first date, it's safe small talk. The thing I don't understand is I've usually seen just the opposite of your reaction. I have girlfriends who are, let's see, a bit on the plumper side. and when we would go out to places they would always have men fawning all of them. And I watched one day to try and figure it out and I noticed they asked men a lot of questions which included a number of them about their job, and diidn't talk about themselves, they took an interest in the man and listened to his responses. Consider, also, that people spend more half their day (in a 12 hour span) at their job.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I was not evasive. Not at all. About 25% of my week is work related. The issue is was not about not wanting to tell her, she was just to darn formal, I guess.

Than again some people don't and have no idea how to separate the 2.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,975 times
Yeah, it's not that I am seeking to judge him on what he does. I just want to know how he spends the bulk of his waking life and that would mean knowing his job.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:18 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Are you kidding? It's not enough that you hold a job. So does a cook at McD's. Doesn't mean that's dating material if you're 30. While I never ask about a job title, I do ask "what do you do for a livng?" Really, you need to relax about that.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:20 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I was not evasive. Not at all. About 25% of my week is work related. The issue is was not about not wanting to tell her, she was just to darn formal, I guess.

Than again some people don't and have no idea how to separate the 2.
What exactly do you mean "formal"? Can you give us an example of something she said?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
What exactly do you mean "formal"? Can you give us an example of something she said?
Hey, relax......no need to get riled up. Gee whiz. We're just having a discussion here.

calm down.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships