Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 AM

142 posts, read 252,669 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I just wanted to get your opinions on men who are single, but are glad to not be around women for the most part. This is kind of like an independent women's theme, but in reverse for guys. Speaking for myself, I haven't been in a relationship for 4 years now, but it is not because of a lack of effort. I've just been busy with finishing college and obtaining a degree. I am 2 years into my job. During the last 4 years, I've learned that life is great for single men, and that I have plenty of activities and friends to not bother myself with relationships. I feel like relationships and women drama is something that I want to avoid as much as possible, and my outlook on life is more clear and happy then it was when I was last in a relationship 4 years ago.

I just wanted to get opinions from all of you out there, especially single men. I want to see if there are any single men who feel the same way as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Im a mother of a single man (26). He hasnt had a actual girlfriend since highschool. He is very happy with this life. I believe he has actually taken note of the bs other members of the family have gone thru and decided that is not for him.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
I can relate. I'm 24 and haven't had a relationship in 4 years as well. Last time I went on a date was 2 years ago. I work full-time and go to school part-time at night to finish my degree.

Two of my good friends are married and the other might as well be. It's almost sickening what happens to a lot of men when they get married. I have no idea why they got married so quickly when they haven't even done anything exciting with their lives and don't plan to now.

I don't avoid relationships but I also don't look for them. I plan on moving out of the state in the future so it's a good idea to stay out of one. I enjoy being single and doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. I don't have to ask or worry about upsetting someone when I do something.

I want to experience what life has to offer before settling down or attempt to anyway. Damn lol.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,990 times
I'm a single man [25] and haven't had a meaningful relationship since I was 21. Not through lack of effort but busy finishing University and making money.

I'm just very happy and content with my life, and I see a relationship & the drama that comes with it as a burden on my shoulder tbh. I may change my views later in life if I happen to meet a woman who I desperately want to be with, but for now I am happy working, travelling, being around different women and just generally being happy.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
I can identify somewhat. I am 26.

I wouldn't go so far as you, though. I enjoy the company of women, and I really do appreciate my female friends.

Once it leaves this platonic state, though, it always goes downhill for me. While there is a lot of honest mutual benefit, it ultimately seems like an exchange. That is: Sex, in exchange for putting up with a ridiculous amount of bullsht.

I have never thought of myself as a "loner", but when I'm expected to adjust my life around someone else's wants, it really puts it in perspective that I am not ready to make the time sacrifices that the women I know seem to require. My relationships quicky and consistently break down into "friends with benefits".

Old 12-10-2009, 09:19 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I can relate. I'm 24 and haven't had a relationship in 4 years as well. Last time I went on a date was 2 years ago. I work full-time and go to school part-time at night to finish my degree.

Two of my good friends are married and the other might as well be. It's almost sickening what happens to a lot of men when they get married. I have no idea why they got married so quickly when they haven't even done anything exciting with their lives and don't plan to now.

I don't avoid relationships but I also don't look for them. I plan on moving out of the state in the future so it's a good idea to stay out of one. I enjoy being single and doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. I don't have to ask or worry about upsetting someone when I do something.

I want to experience what life has to offer before settling down or attempt to anyway. Damn lol.
I think most men in their twenties should stay single tbh. This is the best years of our life and we won't stay young forever, so why not do what you want to do on your own terms.

My brother married at 25 and he's 35 now, and I although I am happy for him and I can sometimes sense that he believes he missed out on a lot when he sees me enjoy life and travelling all around Europe. He doesn't out-right say it, but I am his brother - I can see and sense it through is eyes and body language how he regrets not taking advantage of his 20's and the freedom that comes with it.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
i went through a phase like that.

at least, that's what i told myself when i couldn't get a date !!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:32 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
I'm also single, but have many close female friends that I've had for decades. I work with an all female Sports Team. My closest friends are however Guys, cause we have "Guy" things in common. but My Girlfriends are big fun, and we go places, and do things together quite a bit.

Last edited by Thaskateguy; 12-10-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
It's almost sickening what happens to a lot of men when they get married.
What do you see?

I'm 25 and very happy to be single. I think a lot people try to force things to happen or "settle" in a sense because it's what you're "suppose" to do. A lot times, I see, that things are often based on physical attraction but that is all they have going for them.

I think if you met the right girl, which is tough, it's worth it. The problem I have is I don't put up with the games or bull. I don't waste my time playing the games that a lot of girls play.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
We are taught from grade School that peer approval is important. well they are wrong. Be true to yourself, and your friends will respect you for it. try and pleases the masses, and you will always come up short. If your cool being alone, then that is all that matters. Life is not one big popularity contest, unless we let it be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships