Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times

Advertisements

Marilyn Monroe was probably today's size 8; hence the inconsistency in reports of what size she actually was.

There are definitely men who like bigger women! There are also women who like bigger men. They usually describe the ideal man as "a big teddy bear." It takes all kinds. Find your kind. He or she is the only one that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,662,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Marilyn Monroe was known as a big girl. Estimates go from size 8 to 12. I'm 5'5 and at 115 I'm a size 2/3.
Marilyn Monroe was from a different era if you compare the weights and heights from Miss America's from the 50's to today you would see the girls today are taller and thinner! Scarlett Johanson has been compared to Marilyn and some have said both appear dumpy (though not IMHO)! I'm 5'5 and in my 20's I weighed anywhere from 120 to 150 and I don't think anyone ever said I was obese (at least not to my face)!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Marilyn Monroe was from a different era if you compare the weights and heights from Miss America's from the 50's to today you would see the girls today are taller and thinner! Scarlett Johanson has been compared to Marilyn and some have said both appear dumpy (though not IMHO)! I'm 5'5 and in my 20's I weighed anywhere from 120 to 150 and I don't think anyone ever said I was obese (at least not to my face)!
I think she looks great even by today's standards, my point was to the gentleman who commented that MM was petite, and the OP who felt 5'5 and 150 (or whatever she listed) was obese.

I think it's kinda funny how beauty standards change, if working in the fields was common, then being pale was a mark of beauty. When working in the office is common, being tan is a mark of beauty. When food is scarce, heavier is better, when food is readily available skinny is in.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,253,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
120 to 150 at 5' 5" is not obese. Then again, some men will say any women who is ten pounds "overweight" is

Monroe was more of a sex bomb because of her attitude and who she hung out with. Women in the 50s were definitely concerned with their weight/image, and plenty of media outlets helped perpetuate that during the time. Heck, there was a point in American history (early 1900s) when a women could get a tape-worm prescription so she could eat all she wanted and lose weight in the process.

It was more common for guys to be "out of shape". Look at Sean Connery era James Bond. Or even Roger More. Their bodies were definitely a little too "soft" by todays standards to be considered hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think it's kinda funny how beauty standards change, if working in the fields was common, then being pale was a mark of beauty. When working in the office is common, being tan is a mark of beauty. When food is scarce, heavier is better, when food is readily available skinny is in.
Well, being tan in the early 1900s meant only one thing: you worked outside. And the only people who worked outside back then were lower-class individuals. It wasn't until Channel made being tan vogue that everyone went ga-ga for it. I mean, when you cruise around on your yacht or chill pool-side in the Riviera, you are bound to catch some sun, right?

Old 06-30-2011, 05:36 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,924,846 times
Of course many men are attracted to obese women.
http://www.themedguru.com/articles/obese_women_enjoy_more_sex_study-86116094.html (broken link)
Obviously not in Hollywood, where nobody likes full-figured ladies.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Yeah I don't get that. In my uncle's case, he should have at least take her to a doctor or not letting her eat greasy things bad for her health. But I guess whatever suits him.
Whay is anyone else's preference of any importance to you?
Are you happy when others judge you for who you are?
Obviously, you're not okay with your uncle and his partner.

Your posts on this subject are shameful.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:59 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
[quote=K-Luv;19818040]120 to 150 at 5' 5" is not obese. Then again, some men will say any women who is ten pounds "overweight" is

Monroe was more of a sex bomb because of her attitude and who she hung out with. Women in the 50s were definitely concerned with their weight/image, and plenty of media outlets helped perpetuate that during the time. Heck, there was a point in American history (early 1900s) when a women could get a tape-worm prescription so she could eat all she wanted and lose weight in the process.

It was more common for guys to be "out of shape". Look at Sean Connery era James Bond. Or even Roger More. Their bodies were definitely a little too "soft" by todays standards to be considered hot.

Quote:
Well, being tan in the early 1900s meant only one thing: you worked outside. And the only people who worked outside back then were lower-class individuals. It wasn't until Channel made being tan vogue that everyone went ga-ga for it. I mean, when you cruise around on your yacht or chill pool-side in the Riviera, you are bound to catch some sun, right?
There are many tan people who never worked a day in their lives. That was the case in the 1900s as well as today.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Marilyn Monroe was probably today's size 8; hence the inconsistency in reports of what size she actually was.

There are definitely men who like bigger women! There are also women who like bigger men. They usually describe the ideal man as "a big teddy bear." It takes all kinds. Find your kind. He or she is the only one that matters.
Where are these women?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,284,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Where are these women?
I was going to ask the same thing. Women who are totally turned on by fat men? Interesting.

Yes, it is possible for men to be attracted to obese/thick-boned women. If not, you would see lots of single women in the USA.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I was going to ask the same thing. Women who are totally turned on by fat men? Interesting.
Not that I think that there's something wrong with that happening. I just have never seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships