Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:49 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
All men are sex-obsessed jerks and all women are money-hungry whores.

Looky loo. I just summed it all up. The end.
Would this be much of a problem if it were socially acceptable for women to use men for sex until a man wants a relationship; especially when he is between girlfriends.

From one perspective, it could cure a perceived problem with men and commitment issues.

The latter part is an inherent problem with Capitalism and a natural unemployment rate. We could solve that problem through market friendly means and unemployment compensation that conforms to the federal at-will employment doctrine and state at-will employment laws.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I'm truly just curious. It just doesn't seem to make much sense for men to get married these days. If a guy can give me some excellent reasons to get married besides tax benefits, I might be swayed....!
Modern marriages are relatively new for most people. In the past, mostly people with sufficient capital found it necessary to get married.

How do people in common law marriage states stay single if they have a roommate of the opposite sex?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Would this be much of a problem if it were socially acceptable for women to use men for sex until a man wants a relationship; especially when he is between girlfriends.

From one perspective, it could cure a perceived problem with men and commitment issues.

The latter part is an inherent problem with Capitalism and a natural unemployment rate. We could solve that problem through market friendly means and unemployment compensation that conforms to the federal at-will employment doctrine and state at-will employment laws.
What??? You lost me there...

Old 12-31-2009, 10:11 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
This is where the domestic partner rights and civil unions that gay couples are fighting for come in, and they are just as important to heterosexual couples who don't want to get legally/officially married.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Would men have a perceived commitment problem if they were being used for sex until they want a relationship?

Would women have the same ulterior motives if they could apply for unemployment compensation that meets or exceeds the official poverty guidelines, simply by being naturally unemployed?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
You mean you did not quite catch that expansive exegesis on man's place in the cosmos? Carl Sagon's book mentioned in his preface that he learned a great deal from street hookers and johns.

The real answer?
A non sequitur

Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM

Here is the context:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
All men are sex-obsessed jerks and all women are money-hungry whores.

Looky loo. I just summed it all up. The end.
Would men have a perceived commitment problem if they were being used for sex until they want a relationship?

Would women have the same ulterior motives if they could apply for unemployment compensation that meets or exceeds the official poverty guidelines, simply by being naturally unemployed?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is where the domestic partner rights and civil unions that gay couples are fighting for come in, and they are just as important to heterosexual couples who don't want to get legally/officially married.
But when gay marriage or civil unions pass in a state, the rights that previously existed for domestic partners often get taken away. The point is and always has been to push people toward state-sanctioned legal unions. There are no federal rights for unmarried partners and unless gay marriage is recognized by the federal government, they will continue go without those rights as well. One huge point is social security - if you die your SS earnings are lost unless you have a spouse. If you earned much more than your partner this can be a loss of a huge amount of money and the difference between lifelong retirement security and poverty.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
per OP
there are some good women on this thread that dont want marriage attacked, considering it is already in big trouble. i will respect that. but the alarming statistics indicate that blindly entering a a legal contract bek someone is pressuring you to do so-- is not wise. i have not spoken to anyone ever-- that was satisfied with a divorce settlement, male or female. my advice to any young man is know the law b4 you marry-- dont find out after-- like most of us. never never sign a contract w/o reading it first. the priest does not have the contract, you have to go to a lawyer to find out what that contract is in your state. in my own, we have a frankenstein marriage of 2 laws, we got community property, that law coupled with credit revision law, means another human being can assign you debt, without your signature, against your will, and without your application for the line of credit. you are 100% responsible for this debt while married and usually end up paying 100% of it if you divorce.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-31-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 10:38 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Here is the context:

Hi danielpalos,

You are reaching too much. You need to say it in a few ways. What you mean to say, I think, is how would it be perceived if a woman is using a man for sex?

Quote:
Again, repeat their ulterior motives. Are you saying once a woman is materially satisfied, her motives change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships