Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 03:55 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
I’ve noticed that a lot of overweight women, call straight men who aren’t attracted to them, “shallow, superficial jerks”. The attitude and sense of entitlement of these women, as it pertains to straight men, is something I don't understand.

I’m gay. Obviously, I’m not attracted to women. No-one in their right mind would call a gay man “shallow” for rejecting a women whom he’s not attracted to. Yet, it’s perfectly acceptable to call a straight man, a “shallow, superficial jerk”, for rejecting a woman whom he’s not attracted to. For the life of me, I don’t understand this attitude at all.

Can someone please explain this double standard? Everyone has a preference. What's so wrong with a guy having a preference for a slimmer woman? As long as the person is nice and respectful about it, why not just wish them the best, and move on?
I ran into this when I was dating....however, it applies to men too. Basically, it's all supply and demand. If you aren't getting the dates or quality of dates you are looking for then you need to do things to make yourself more attractive to the other sex. Getting in shape is generally one of the things within your own control.

Whining and being the victim is unattractive and just wander through the threads here and you will see the guys complaining too.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,990 times
Women also love telling men how much they love tall guys. I think that evens everything out. Its even worse for short men cos they can't do nowt about their height, but women [and men] can do something about their weight - for the most part.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Kinda like that, I may be fat, but you're ugly, and I can diet.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi mzjamiedawn,

That is a point of fact that not everything is skin deep. I get a rush eating outside of the industrial food chain. We would not be compatible on that issue.
Hi! A rush huh? Depending on the feel of the "rush", I may try it.

Quote:
You have a well adjusted attitude. I will bet you are enjoyable company. I like what I see so far. Would that mean we need to be sexually attracted to each other? You illustrate a psychological ideal. Sure, if you did find appeal in someone romantically that had a different view of life, then you may need to make an effort. It is your life.
Thank you. I am pretty enjoyable if I do say so myself...haha. Sexual attraction and compatibility is very important, don't you think?

If I was involved with someone with different views, I would most definitely listen to him, and where I agreed, I would change. Where I didn't, compromise would need to take place.

Quote:
As I said, you have a delightfully positive personality. You only lack the thrill of screwing the industrial food chain out of a buck.
Again, thank you very much! I am very curious about this thrill you keep speaking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I cannot find so much as lint on your shoulder.
Ok, my blonde is showing through... elaborate?

Quote:
In my case I do realize that I may lose mobility down the road and I don't want to do insulin and the like. I just feel better. So I do like some resistance exercise and arranged it to commute by human power. Though do I always eat and do every single thing for the sake of health? No. That is all it is. Live and let live and no one lives forever. Some people missed out on my pear pie because they are very conscious (when not considering only health, I do it right).
You know, that is the one reason I go to gym sometimes. I have two kids still at home, and I want to have the energy it takes to raise them. Unfortunately, I will go to the gym, walk the treadmill and do the weights, then go home and make spaghetti for dinner.

I don't care for pears, but had you made cherry pie, I would've tried some. Do you like Mrs. Smith's? If so, you'll like my pie...haha!

You're right, no one lives forever. And while I prefer be around for kids, family, and friends longer than the norm, I want to enjoy life and everything it has to offer.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLuce View Post
Everyone has their preference. You can't be mad at them for their preference. For example, some men like short women, or fairer skinned women, or women with long hair, or women w/o children, etc. What I find funny is when someone has this list of likes & dislikes for a possible SO. When they finally get one that fits just right, they realize that's not really what works well with them.

The "attitude" is just a defense mechanism. Most people who are overweight know that they would be a great SO but the get frustrated when others don't see it. Unfortunately, men have historically had more difficulty "seeing the person within" than women. Sorry for the generalization guys!

Hi BlueLuce,

The only thing that suckers me into these threads is the idea that men choose what they like. They don't. Health and sex appeal are linked with the survival of the species. No we don't need to be jerks about it.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:38 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I don't really think anyone here has much of an issue with some men liking thin women or some women liking tall men. It's all in presentation. I've said it 100 times, and I'll say it again, There is a difference between:

I prefer thin, fit women who exercise, etc., etc.

And

Fat women are so disgusting. They don't take care of themselves so they don't deserve love, especially mine.

One is a statement of preference while one is a deragatory insult. It really says more about the person saying it than the subject. Now, if you really want to make it interesting, replace weight with race. Some people have a preference to date within their race for whatever reason (be it family pressure, society, whatever)...and if they stated their opinion in the manner that some of the men here talk about weight, they'd be executed. Something to think about.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:58 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Hi! A rush huh? Depending on the feel of the "rush", I may try it.

Thank you. I am pretty enjoyable if I do say so myself...haha. Sexual attraction and compatibility is very important, don't you think?
Hi mzjamiedawn,,

I agree but only with one person in particular. I meant more in general. I don't have a hatred for people where there is no sexual attraction.

Quote:
If I was involved with someone with different views, I would most definitely listen to him, and where I agreed, I would change. Where I didn't, compromise would need to take place.

Again, thank you very much! I am very curious about this thrill you keep speaking of.
I tend to hate factory farming and the likes of ADM and Cargill. I get an anti-establishment rush when I avoid any shred of influence.

Quote:
Ok, my blonde is showing through... elaborate?

You know, that is the one reason I go to gym sometimes. I have two kids still at home, and I want to have the energy it takes to raise them. Unfortunately, I will go to the gym, walk the treadmill and do the weights, then go home and make spaghetti for dinner.
I gained a lot of weight when puberty hit me from about 12-16 or so. So I ended up changing my taste in food. It actually does change, and I never would have thought how much I would like peas for example. Much of the problem was my mother's idea of peas was canned. Another fellow I know just swapped out every starchy food for a green veg.

I do know what passes as food in many diets is just far too refined and calorically dense. Unfortunately our culture borrows from Neapolitan cuisine in what we call "spaghetti" but does not account for the antipasto, salad or portion size that was historical.

Quote:
I don't care for pears, but had you made cherry pie, I would've tried some. Do you like Mrs. Smith's? If so, you'll like my pie...haha!

You're right, no one lives forever. And while I prefer be around for kids, family, and friends longer than the norm, I want to enjoy life and everything it has to offer.
I never had Mrs Smith's. If I don't make it myself I don't generally eat it. That's the discipline.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I'm not arguing your generalization of "americans being fat".

I'm arguing your generalization of "gay people being more responsible for their health and appearance." You claimed you had stats to back up your generalization. Please cite your source(s) for stats.
I think Importer's Wifey would argue with a fungus, just for the sake of it. Quit nitpicking and word-parsing. Maybe you need a hobby? Americans are fat and it's getting worse. Other countries laugh at us. For God's sake, we live in a country where people actually pay money to have healthy meals mailed to them because they lack the fortitude and discipline and healthy lifestyle to take care of themselves on their own volition. As my Russian friend says, "You Americans worship food; your supermarkets are like cathedrals!"
Here's a quarter: buy a clue.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:16 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I think Importer's Wifey would argue with a fungus, just for the sake of it. Quit nitpicking and word-parsing. Maybe you need a hobby? Americans are fat and it's getting worse. Other countries laugh at us. For God's sake, we live in a country where people actually pay money to have healthy meals mailed to them because they lack the fortitude and discipline and healthy lifestyle to take care of themselves on their own volition. As my Russian friend says, "You Americans worship food; your supermarkets are like cathedrals!"
And why don't you just buy a ticket to Russia, huh? You guys on this thread deserve what you get...Post some photos of yourselves, why don't ya?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:05 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Hey, you said it, not me. You'd think I'd learn my lesson that fungi don't seem to have a leg to stand on in arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships