Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
If you don't have emotions than you wouldn't be able to understand other's emotions.

The correct term for you is: Inappropriate Emotional Responses.

Google it.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
I have strong opinions about the disservice to society inherent in the concept of "equal work for equal pay" as well... but that's another subject altogether! (Suffice it to say, it's just another form of entitlement for upper class white women...)

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
If you don't have emotions than you wouldn't be able to understand other's emotions.

The correct term for you is: Inappropriate Emotional Responses.

Google it.
Did I say I understood them? I understand that other people have them, but I can't understand why.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Feminism doesn't hurt women who are loved and cherished. It helps those who aren't.
Exactly!
I think some folks are completely missing Ivory's point. It is all fine and dandy when women are in happy marriages where they are loved, cherished and respected. If you dont believe many marriages were abusive and hellish with no way out, your just in denial.

Onglet, Ivory uses her grandmother as an example because it was that generation especially that suffered in silence. My own grandmother was very happy in her marriage and raising her children (my grandpa was kind loving and generous). The point is many women were not. Happy or unhappy, cherished or abused, you had little if any choices. It is good my grandmother was treated well by grandpa because, she as a woman, before feminism, could not on her own buy property or get gainful employment. Im sure given the opportunities of today, my mother and a few of my aunts would have chosen to divorce and lead a more fulfilling life.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I have strong opinions about the disservice to society inherent in the concept of "equal work for equal pay" as well... but that's another subject altogether! (Suffice it to say, it's just another form of entitlement for upper class white women...)

You don't think two people doing the exact same job deserve the same pay for doing that job????? Why would I deserve less pay than a man doing the same job I do? Why would this be an entitlement? I'm doing the same job he is.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 AM

That assumes that you are, indeed, doing the same job.

If I have to do my job, and also come over and help you do yours, then that's not "equal work".

Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

If I have to do my job, and also come over and help you do yours, then that's not "equal work".

No it isn't any more than it would be if I had to help you do yours. We're talking about EQUAL work for EQUAL pay. Not inequal work for equal pay.

I used to write reports for men in my department all the time after I'd finished my own. I suppose I should have been paid more for that.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Nor when she or another female in the office decides to leave due to pregnancy thereby affecting the rest of the office to pick up the workload. If you're lucky your employer will hire a temp, but not everyone has that luxery since the employer would in effect be paying two people for the same job position.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Nor when she or another female in the office decides to leave due to pregnancy thereby affecting the rest of the office to pick up the workload. If you're lucky your employer will hire a temp, but not everyone has that luxery since the employer would in effect be paying two people for the same job position.
Most employers are free to fire pregnant employees -- and do.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No it isn't any more than it would be if I had to help you do yours. We're talking about EQUAL work for EQUAL pay. Not inequal work for equal pay.

I used to write reports for men in my department all the time after I'd finished my own. I suppose I should have been paid more for that.
Unfortunately, I've experienced more helpless women than I've needed help from others. I'm not the kind to EVER ask for help.

And if someone asks me to HELP them lift something? I lift it by myself, without their help, because I am capable of doing so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships