Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Okay, I really quick read through some of that and, in some ways, they are right. But why would anybody lump jobs like being a CEO and a lower paid person together? That doesn't make sense to me. Same pay for the same job does.

Yup, lots of women ARE in and out of the workforce. They sometimes only work one job...SAHM...or sometimes add a part time job to that but when they are working 40+ hours a week they are basically covering TWO jobs. And they only get paid for one. In the end they are penalized for staying home to raise their kids till they are, at least, school age. For the last few years I've taken quite a few classes at our local community college, just because I like to learn and try different things, but you would be amazed at the number of single moms who fill that school. They are doing their best to upgrade and expand their skills so they CAN re-enter the workforce. They are doing a good job of it too. Around here there's not much argument about equal wages because we mostly DO get equal wages. But we are a small town so there aren't as many options either.

Anyway, I think things are better now than they were years ago but I don't see anything as being "perfect". I've been in the workforce for 45 years so I've seen a LOT of changes over the years. There are still inequities though and maybe there always will be.

I have no doubt that in the past, there was a gender pay gap for the same job, same experience, same hours... But now, no, because what theyd o is just average all the pay of everyone. So yes, they are comparing orthopedic surgeons to teachers when you average, and then say women only earn 84% of what men do...

According to the NY Times, if there were any pay gap for the same job, same experience, that it actually favors young women over men in big US cities.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
The Daily Show weighs in on oppressed men: Video: Male Inequality | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Wage Gap Myth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtjaBQMog0Q

Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
Oh please! Let me GUARANTEE you that working with the brain can far more exhausting than working with your hands -

I don't know where you came up with this idea that brain work isn't work but, you are wrong
Probably because I don't find it difficult or taxing to do so. Thinking has never made me tired. I do other people's taxes, for instance, but don't consider that to be work. I do thinking for FUN--it isn't tiring at all.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
So you think you could keep a company from not only going broke, but have enough knowledge so they could actually profit?

You know all about M&A?

You are thoroughly knowledgeable of regulatory and legal issues involved in financing? You are at the very least AFIP senior certified?

You know all about market capitals?

After all...mental activities are far too easy for you.
Well, my degree IS in business management--and I placed first at state in a number of categories with Phi Beta Lambda when I went.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Ok, lets here the argument that there isn't any action/movement in the brain/nervouse system to and fro in mental work. This should be good.

eta: Even beyond pure mental work action is always present when working. So, the argument is now degree of action?
No, the body can be, and often is, at rest while thinking is happening. Electrical impulses travel, but that isn't causing work to be performed.

I am not trying to say that the jobs being performed with the mind are not important or useful, just that they are not work. They are a PROFESSION.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The paperwork and the peoplework I've done has been more exhausting (in a way) than than physical work expected of me.

How does a 120 lb. 20 year old get a 120 lb wheel of cheese into the walk in? What to do with 30-50 cases of perishable when when you're ordered to clear the area and lock up by a certain (not enough) time? Mind games are the worst.
I don't see why he couldn't. I lift things in excess of one hundred pounds (biggest thing was a 273-pound bench saw) daily, and I only weigh somewhere between 125 and 130.

Some people use tools, I prefer not to.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't think the boss would appreciate it. Although, I know if I have a thought, it should be expressed .ppt.
Hi Braunwyn,

Are we a fan of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy perhaps?

"So long, and thanks for all the fish" .

Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, the body can be, and often is, at rest while thinking is happening. Electrical impulses travel, but that isn't causing work to be performed.

I am not trying to say that the jobs being performed with the mind are not important or useful, just that they are not work. They are a PROFESSION.
So, school work is a profession? Sitting down and working through whatever problems is a profession? You don't make sense.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:20 AM

You've never heard the term "professional student"? Yes, school work can be a profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships