Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,167 times

Advertisements

I was just curious and would love to get some input here. Does your location have anything to do with how hard or easy it is to find a girlfriend or boyfriend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Location makes a big difference in terms of when people typically marry.

As far as forming relationships in general? I don't know. I think kids from rural areas are less socialized at any given age. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, I remember watching that movie "Kids" when I was a teenager and wondering what the hell kind of planet these people were from.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,366 times
yeah, its just one factor though

if theres a million people around you or if theres one hundred people around you...that will make a difference.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,676 times
Yes it does.
I lived in Santa Maria (a small town in the central coast of California) for two years after growing up and living in L.A. The first year I lived there, I was engaged and the second I was married. I was 30 years old when I started taking some classes at the local community college and I remember a discussion where a female classmate who was 26 (and Hispanic) was talking about how much pressure there was for her to get married and how she was looked at as some kind of spinster for being so old and still not married and childless.

The town is among the highest ranking in the country for teenage pregnancies and the women at my job there had all been married by the age of 22. I remember that one of the dispatchers was 26, was married by the age of 19 and had 4 kids already! The other one was 28, had two kids and had already been divorced.

I remember telling my classmate that the stigma on age did not exist in L.A. and that I was sure that it had to do with the size of the city where you live. Whenever the city is bigger, which means there are more people and more things to do, the people who live there tend to want to wait longer to get married.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 AM

622 posts, read 1,279,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Location makes a big difference in terms of when people typically marry.

As far as forming relationships in general? I don't know. I think kids from rural areas are less socialized at any given age. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, I remember watching that movie "Kids" when I was a teenager and wondering what the hell kind of planet these people were from.

LOL... yeah I remember that movie. I thought the same thing. But yes I do think it plays a role. I live in a city of about 200k people. I lived in a bigger city for awhile. It was about 900k. And I had many many more options in women there. They were also much more aggressive and approachable.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:02 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,550,351 times
Idk, for some people maybe. I've lived in small towns and big cities and never had a problem getting dates anywhere, but I'm also what some would refer to as a Social Butterfly.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:44 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,767 times
In my experience, it's easy to get a date in a foreign country if you're remotely good looking. When I lived in England I got asked out all the time. While I'm attractive, I'm not so much more so than a lot of British girls. As an American though, I tended to be more outgoing and had the hint of mystery, especially since I came from the L.A. area.

I would think it would be harder to date in a small town because your options would be limited and there's more of a push to settle down and get married. I think there are more opportunities to be had in larger cities, but it takes more courage to take advantage of them because city folk are more guarded when talking to strangers.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I was just curious and would love to get some input here. Does your location have anything to do with how hard or easy it is to find a girlfriend or boyfriend?
YES. For me it's horrible where I live to meet anyone I need to actually leave the immediate areas.... go to another borough, city because their is nothing worth hanging around where I live for.

I've even met people over the internet because it's so difficult where I am at.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,186 times
Country people can spend way too much time minding each others business. I can see how that could put a damper on wanting to date around. There'd be plenty of chances for exes to trash you out of spite and poison the dating pool! Plenty more judgement to go around. So, I think a naturally picky girl could get lots of haters. Plus there's less to do so why not focus on mating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
YES. For me it's horrible where I live to meet anyone I need to actually leave the immediate areas.... go to another borough, city because their is nothing worth hanging around where I live for.

I've even met people over the internet because it's so difficult where I am at.
I've found the trick to dating in NY and other big cities is to meet people through industry functions and hobbies. Give it a try.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,290 times
Location, location, location... I say it makes a big difference in the dating/single scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships