Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:15 AM

8 posts, read 15,439 times

Advertisements

I'm 18, just going through my first true breakup. Besides being hurt from breaking up, I have this general fear that she is already hooking up with a good friend of mine. I notice even the smallest and stupidest things, such as them being offline when they normally are on, they come on at the same time, etc. (My friend liked her before we got together). I know it's really dumb, but it's ripping my insides out and I can't stand it... at all.

Any advice for how to mentally cope with such things, as stupid as they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 AM

865 posts, read 2,434,461 times
I know the feeling. Everytime you're online, and she's not, when she normally would have been, you start wondering what she's up to.

Unfortunately, the ONLY thing that will cure this is time. You need time to heal, and in time, it won't bother you anymore. Right now this is really fresh for you. Try to stay away from the computer as much as you can, so that you won't have that constant reminder staring you in the face. I know, sometimes it can seem so compelling to check and see. But try to find other activities to occupy your time and your mind, and in time, this will pass.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:42 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,689,465 times
Yes, breakups are very difficult. Try to keep yourself busy with other activities, so you won't be constantly reminded of your ex. She is a free agent now, so she can be with anyone she chooses, but that is hard to accept. The busier you stay the better off you'll be. Time truly will heal some of your wounds, so be patient with yourself. Take care.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,020,643 times
I'm not going to tell you to just swallow your emotion or whatever sense of hurt you may currently feel.

However, you're 18, and while this feels devastating now, you're broken up -- does it really MATTER if she's hooking up with the other guy now?

If you're thinking that he's supposed to be a friend, then would a friend be doing that to you?

STOP watching teh internetz and monitoring POSSIBLE activity and go out, have some fun! Eat a cheeseburger (yes, u kan haz) and go to a movie with some friends and go to a bookstore (you young people still have those, right?) and get off teh internetz (listed twice because ur still r33d!ng thiz and haven't gone yet).

I promise, you have an entire life which doesn't involve her, you've just forgotten it. It's out there, go pick it up again, dust it off and watch how shiny it can be!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:21 AM

10,180 posts, read 20,810,169 times
The best cure for a breakup is to spend more time with friends, cut off all contact with your ex (to include not looking at her pictures or checking her status online), and keep yourself busy. If you give your mind a playground it's going to play, and it won't be fun, keep your mind occupied and give yourself some time. Avoid all potential contact with her.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:27 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,586,883 times
There will be many "breakups" in your future.... this is the beginning, the first (?) one..

What helps is to get out of the house, do things with other people, see a movie, keep busy.. Why not shut your computer off and have her wonder what YOU are up to now?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,782,251 times
Time is definitely the number one way to get over her. Focus on other things as much as you can, are you involved in any activities? If not start something new, keep yourself busy and your mind off of her. Good luck, the first one is always hard.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,292,076 times
Well if she is messing with your friend you just better learn to suck it up and deal with it. Everyone's hard spot once was a soft spot. I see in the future....she will probably date one of your friend's friends and then you both will talk about what a c-jumping skankarella she is.

Look at it for what it really is and you already know its stupid...so focus on that. No one usually even stays friends with the people they knew at 18 let alone the relationships.

I think the happiest people I know are ones that had a life first and then met that special someone.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:02 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,311,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorcheezeit View Post
I'm 18, just going through my first true breakup. Besides being hurt from breaking up, I have this general fear that she is already hooking up with a good friend of mine. I notice even the smallest and stupidest things, such as them being offline when they normally are on, they come on at the same time, etc. (My friend liked her before we got together). I know it's really dumb, but it's ripping my insides out and I can't stand it... at all.

Any advice for how to mentally cope with such things, as stupid as they are?
What you feel is normal. Best advice is to keep yourself busy and hang-out with friends. Preferably real ones who you feel certain won't mess with your ex >>> because that's not cool.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:11 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,292,076 times
Yes I don't thing its cool either...But maybe this is karma for picking up a girl the friend liked first.
I also think you should not connect with people that your friends like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships