Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:12 PM

10 posts, read 57,158 times

Advertisements

I need some advice and hoping to get some lessons learned from other more experiences people here.

Divorce rates are at a all time high now, I think i heard up to 60% of marriages fail.

So, why did your marriage fail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:25 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,853,800 times
Men never know. They are either suddenly served with papers or come home one evening to 3 squad cars.

When interviewed by academics, women claim that he "didn't meet my expectations" but the fact is, its either because they didn't do their due diligence before they married or their expectations are in the stratosphere.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Men never know. They are either suddenly served with papers or come home one evening to 3 squad cars.
Aaaww, poor things... They thought they could drive their wives up the wall indefinitely, but surprise, surprise... they couldn't! How sad, too bad!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,248,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karci186 View Post
I need some advice and hoping to get some lessons learned from other more experiences people here.

Divorce rates are at a all time high now, I think i heard up to 60% of marriages fail.

So, why did your marriage fail?
Because I never got married, duh!LMAO................

Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Several reasons. Chief among them is that we grew apart. I was working, interested, active, engaged. She was a SAHM with no interests outside the family and childrens' activities. I was a lousy money manager. She was a passive dependent. I had anger issues. She was/is narcissistic. After 25 years she lost a ton of weight, discovered she was attractive to other men, found one who was really interested and felt "safe" in leaving me, filing for legal separation. I awoke to the fact that she wasn't that much after all and counter-filed for divorce. End of story, but for this:

I spent over two years living like a monk with no socialization whatsoever, working on what was wrong with me and changing it for the better. She never admitted to any fault and is still the same, if not worse. The end result is that my wife (I remarried) and I have very lovely and loving relationships with my five children, their spouses and our grandchildren. None of them want anything to do with the ex.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,303,611 times
Mine almost failed, but I think the main reasons people get divorced are not meeting each other's expectations, a complete communication breakdown or maybe marrying someone you really didn't know so well to begin with.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:54 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Several reasons. Chief among them is that we grew apart. I was working, interested, active, engaged. She was a SAHM with no interests outside the family and childrens' activities. I was a lousy money manager. She was a passive dependent. I had anger issues. She was/is narcissistic. After 25 years she lost a ton of weight, discovered she was attractive to other men, found one who was really interested and felt "safe" in leaving me, filing for legal separation. I awoke to the fact that she wasn't that much after all and counter-filed for divorce. End of story, but for this:

I spent over two years living like a monk with no socialization whatsoever, working on what was wrong with me and changing it for the better. She never admitted to any fault and is still the same, if not worse. The end result is that my wife (I remarried) and I have very lovely and loving relationships with my five children, their spouses and our grandchildren. None of them want anything to do with the ex.
Interesting. I had a similar set up with a different outcome. My H is like you, right down to being bad with money. I was like your wife, but I'm still carrying an extra 30lbs and he is the narcissisist. After 25 years he met someone at work, who was basically a younger version of me, pre-marriage and kids, and relized that he didn't really like what his life had become. Or who I had become. To me it seemed like he just wanted to be young again (this all happened the year he turned 50) but his POV is different, and because of that we could never make progress in MC.

So for the last couple of years we have been coexisting in the same house with our youngest (now 19) and will probably seperate then divorce after our eldest graduates from college. Until then there is no money. I have a very close and loving relationship with our children but they don't feel close to him, never did, and really have to work at getting him to pay them any attention. He admits he never got into fatherhood they way he should have (busy climbing the corporate ladder and all) and claims that's just proof that he should be living a different life. Who knows.

Last edited by Ceece; 01-24-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 01:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Ceece, I'm sorry you're going through a great deal of what I went through that ended 15 years ago. It's not fun; especially as I had both adult children and young children. The good news is that there is life after divorce and it can be wonderful. I also became a very good money manager and have excellent credit, a nice home, great car and comfortable retirement.

People CAN change but I'd be willing to bet that if I was still with the ex I'd still be who I was when I was with her. Thank God I'm not!

All that aside, the reality is that in order to address a problem you have to recognize it, admit to it, own it and want to and be willing to change it. Without those elements, all the MC in the world will accomplish nothing. I was willing to. She wasn't. End of story!

Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,915 times
There were several reasons, but mostly I think he wasn't ready to get married. That, btw, is something he only shared with me 5 years in to it.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:26 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,070 times
I heard that divorces actually went down last year, they linked it to the bad economy...

Lots of great insights...It's generally not meeting expectations or one person finding what they feel is a better opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships