Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times

Advertisements

No romance at my present job, mainly women and way to young men. However when I was a waitress I did go out with a fellow waiter. He was my Prom-date. It was fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I had a rather intense relationship with one of the guys on my team when I was overseas. We weren't even here dating, yet word got back about it. When I had to end it (he was possessive and jealous) before we came back home, I had people talking behind my back all over the place. He took it badly, and when we came home, spread his unhappiness with me all over the place.

It made for a very uncomfortable workplace for a while. I have no real worries things about a harassment perspective, but the after-shocks, if things don't work out, can be awful. I strongly advise against it.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
... What do you think?, how is the atmosphere regarding all this where you work?
I work alone at home, and if I want to have a love affair with myself, I will, regardless of what the boss (me) says.

But let me give you an example of what's playing out right now where my wife works. She works with a bunch of part-time high school aged kids, mostly girls.

But there's this one guy. And he had a relationship with one of the girls. Then she was out of town for a week and he slept with one of the other gals.

Each gal has her special friends at work, so now it's not only the two gals fighting over the stud, and the stud periodically fighting with one or the other of his mares, but the friends have all taken sides, so the whole darned crew is split down the middle. It's hard to fire a whole crew and start over, but where do you start and where do you end?

Romance in the workplace can get very complicated very quickly.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
That was one rule I set for myself on the very first job I had... NO work place romances... I have worked all my life and never broken that rule. It just can go sour .... then what? It just isn't wise unless you are willing to quit your job first.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 AM

740 posts, read 1,233,416 times
Quote:
So I want you to discuss your thoughts on this specially your work environment. In the past say 10 to 15 years ago , dating and flirting seemed easier in the work place without PC or lawsuit exploitation happening. Now it seems the topic has made companies go to the point of having classes and handbook rules given when you go to work for them. It is certainly that way at my place plus the fact we did have one female employee with two separate law suits in play for "sexual harassment" recently at our company. I can tell you she is not the friendliest person you would meet.

However recently a new female started and she has been well, borderline flirting with me , while I am not really sure what she is thinking I caught her checking out my azz today when I walked by. So safe to assume she sees something. But I am reluctant to push the possible situation because of the repercussions and PC hat has infested the workplace regarding dating and stuff.

On the other hand while I care about my employment if I really met somebody great I wouldn't care the risk, but you don't know if they are great unless you take it up a notch right? It kind of peeves me that even though you are doing your job good that these days your personal life is under scrutiny besides the fact by your employer thanks to the advancement of fighting sexual harassment that went so far to the point you are afraid to say you look good or even ask someone out that you work with.

What do you think?, how is the atmosphere regarding all this where you work?
I once dated a guy I worked with and all was good, although working together after we broke up was a little awkward at first. However, we got over it.

Those trainings crack me up because my profession in the US is 90% female (and 1/2 of the men are gay). We had one of those trainings and there was one man in our unit and of course all the materials dealt only with men harassing women! Stupid.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
If you are going to date someone in the workplace, be very honest with yourself about what you want. If you're just looking for a light and breezy fling, then chances are an office romance will eventually blow up in your face when she wants something more. I wouldn't rule out an office romance, I've known couples who have met in the workplace and eventually married. But you need to be really honest about what you want and what you are looking for in a relationship prior to pursuing one at work. Of course you can only control your half of the relationship. She may be the one who only wants a short term fling and you can be the one left wanting more, especially if she starts showing interest in other guys at work. My advice, proceed slowly. Be friends first and determine whether or not you really like one another as friends before taking it further.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Don't fish in the company pond!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:11 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I met my first husband at work. We got married and worked together at the same place for years.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
So I want you to discuss your thoughts on this specially your work environment. In the past say 10 to 15 years ago , dating and flirting seemed easier in the work place without PC or lawsuit exploitation happening. Now it seems the topic has made companies go to the point of having classes and handbook rules given when you go to work for them. It is certainly that way at my place plus the fact we did have one female employee with two separate law suits in play for "sexual harassment" recently at our company. I can tell you she is not the friendliest person you would meet.

However recently a new female started and she has been well, borderline flirting with me , while I am not really sure what she is thinking I caught her checking out my azz today when I walked by. So safe to assume she sees something. But I am reluctant to push the possible situation because of the repercussions and PC hat has infested the workplace regarding dating and stuff.

On the other hand while I care about my employment if I really met somebody great I wouldn't care the risk, but you don't know if they are great unless you take it up a notch right? It kind of peeves me that even though you are doing your job good that these days your personal life is under scrutiny besides the fact by your employer thanks to the advancement of fighting sexual harassment that went so far to the point you are afraid to say you look good or even ask someone out that you work with.

What do you think?, how is the atmosphere regarding all this where you work?
LK, you are pretty much free to run around in the wild, but you gotta wear pants to the office, dude

Seriously, romance is admissible only when it's mutual. No stalking. Stalking is what leads to unwanted incidents and lawsuits.

I'm sort of the heart throb in every office I've been in. Unfortunately, it's the corporate world, everyone's over 30, pumas, cougars and coyotes, well established women, divorcees and currently single after y x-husbands. The last one's like a bizarre quadratic equation. Kind of unsolvable LMAO.

Women in my age group work in sales, marketing and the like and I rarely have access to that area. The closest I get to is meeting their supervisors as they just take a glimpse from within their cubicles Not the kind of intro a guy needs.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
I once dated a guy I worked with and all was good, although working together after we broke up was a little awkward at first. However, we got over it.

Those trainings crack me up because my profession in the US is 90% female (and 1/2 of the men are gay). We had one of those trainings and there was one man in our unit and of course all the materials dealt only with men harassing women! Stupid.
You have the best nickname I have seen on C/D so far. Let me know if I can cure you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships