Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:42 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

I've met a number of women, usually under 30, who talk like they've had too much caffeine. At first, it's entertaining. But eventually, you grow tired of trying to keep up. Then you meet people who are the exact opposite. They talk so slow and enunciate every word that you can't help but wonder if English is a second language for them.

I've also noticed that a lot of people like to talk in short clips. They talk the way they text message. Instead of full sentences, it's three word phrases. You get the impression they don't have the time to form a complete sentence. And then, of course, is the person who sprinkles "y'know" throughout all their conversations. If they do it a lot, I just say, "no I don't know so why don't you explain it."

Being articulate and able to express yourself is very attractive. But some people seem to go out of their way to impress or sound clever. It's the Juno thing. They use phrases and words that most people would never use. The person thinks they're being clever or original, but really they're just giving the impression that they're phony.

Some accents are really attractive like English and Australian. Others, like southern drawl, I personally find annoying.

One thing I pay attention to is how a person's voice changes depending on the situation. They could have a great speaking voice for everyday conversation. But when they raise their voice, laugh or even sing, it makes you want to cover your ears. Hillary Clinton is a good example of this. Her ordinary speaking voice sounds fine. But try watching her at a rally or listen to that cackle of hers. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:44 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,824 times
I've only had instances where the way someone talks was more of a turn off than a turn on.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Anyone here ever hear their voice on a recording and think "Damn, I sound like that?" It's funny how your own voice being played back to you sounds almost foreign.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Anyone here ever hear their voice on a recording and think "Damn, I sound like that?" It's funny how your own voice being played back to you sounds almost foreign.
So true. Also it is kind of creepy how the older I get the more I sound like my late father.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I prefer relatively neutral accents, though a southern drawl such as the one Emily Proctor has tears me up, OTOH Leah Remini (sp?), while a hottie, I can't stand her accent. We had a meteorologist here who's voice just made me melt. As another poster said I could listen to her read the phone book. Can't stand the way most younger girls talk, somewhere between valley girl, up talker, southern.
This is funny because Proctor has entirely the opposite effect on me. I think she has one of the worst voices on television. Pretty woman but the second she opens her mouth I am reaching for the mute button! But I'll admit I can't stand southern/appalachian/Texan accents. Make me cringe. It would take an exceptionally beautiful, wonderful woman (and good earplugs) for me to be with her if she spoke that way.

Conversely, European accents, particularly the Latin ones (French, Italian, Spanish, etc.) drive me crazy. It instantly turns a "5" woman into an "8".

Also, hope this doesn't sound too gay but, I have always liked the voices (not in a sexual way) of Sting and the actor Ed Burns.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
I love accents like kat deeley. I think she is British. So sexy. I also love southern accents.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,726 times
My husband likes that woman on Private Practice named Charlotte. Not sure what the drawl is but it is there. To me it sounds harsh. If I had to pick a TV personality's voice it would be Patrick Dempsey. I did have a friend in the past who had such a deep low voice and in fact was nicknamed Lurch although he looked nothing like a Lurch!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:11 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
I always post this one.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Oh yeah, the way a man talks to a woman is huge. I always tell my guy friends they can get anything they want from a woman {IF} they know how to talk.. that.. talk.. I'm glad so many others know it too. I hope everybody's talk helps them with that special someone. Now u know the secret men don't abuse it. Ladies u either... Even though I know u wouldn't.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:20 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I always post this one.
Yeah, but sometimes u have to sacrifice good grammar or some things get lost in translation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships