Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:01 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times

Advertisements

I just returned to work after serving on a criminal trial for jury duty. It was supposed to last for 3-4 days but ended up being 2 weeks

I notice that since I returned to work that female co-workers seem to be more noticing of me, calling me by my nickname, walking past my office saying my name. I also notice that since my return I am less socially phobic, feel better about myself and stay in others' office to talk more

I have been at my job for 19 years I am well-liked but many would probably say I am lacking in confidence(I am an avoidant personality disorder) tho I certainly have a level of responsibility that one would have to have SOME confidence in order to be semi- successful

Word had to get around because for me to be out from 2/16 to 3/2 would mean a helluva lot of work did not get done in my abcence. Just about everybody knew i was in a criminal trial

Is there something about being picked for a criminal trial (there were only 8 of us) that could be seen as impressive, or is it just that my time away from the office refreshed me and gave me a new perspective? Could it be that the girls and my employer saw that i was "chosen by someone else"(the court) and made me look more "desirable" and valued? I also may have been the first one who ever served in an actual trial (everyone i know was sent home because they weren't picked to be on a trial)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 10:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Maybe they came to appreciate you when you were gone because it was too much work for them or there are things you do that they missed.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Default true-

I'm a social worker and i was told the psychiatrist (who depends on me for various things) was lost without me!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,118,303 times
That could very well be the case, and it sounds to me like you missed your office. You may be just experiencing a return to work honeymoon. But if you like the changes, keep doing what you are, it sounds like it's a nicer work environment. Congradulations. Enjoy.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 AM

680 posts, read 1,384,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
You may be just experiencing a return to work honeymoon.
Good observation, well said.

Before reading your post, I was thinking along the lines that performing a civic duty might make a man more attractive because it demonstrates a willingness to participate in the community and that might be an unconscious indicator of his nurturing qualities. I know, that's a stretch. I probably over-thought the original question.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM

Default good point

however, more realistically i don't want to get hit with a $250 civil penalty for contempt and have it on my credit report, then have to get thrown back in the jury pool and have to serve again!!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
You have been involved in something unusual, somewhat exciting, and somewhat dangerous. Yes, that can spark interest.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Default Sierra

yes that's what was kind of on my mind, that it's exciting

And I have always kind of had the reputation of being booksmart but not really street/people smart(which is something that bothered me) at work

Since i was picked 8 out of 50 people would that kind of show that I am not just booksmart, that i have some kind of advanced understanding of the real world if i was chosen to serve on a criminal trial?

Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Default it probably

rounds out another side of my image--no one certainly pictures me involved in criminal stuff so they probably chuckled to hear i was involved in a criminal case

too bad there wasn't a sequester--would be wild to hear i was holed up in some hotel

how would that work if we were sequestered and a juror takes medications? if we were sequestered right from court to a hotel how would i get my medications which were at home (blood pressure meds, metformin, i was tapering off paxil)? how would that work?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
rounds out another side of my image--no one certainly pictures me involved in criminal stuff so they probably chuckled to hear i was involved in a criminal case

too bad there wasn't a sequester--would be wild to hear i was holed up in some hotel

how would that work if we were sequestered and a juror takes medications? if we were sequestered right from court to a hotel how would i get my medications which were at home (blood pressure meds, metformin, i was tapering off paxil)? how would that work?
I'm a paralegal with lots of trial experience. If a jury is going to be sequestered, they tell the jurors in advance, usually during the voir dire process (before the panel of jurors is selected).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships