Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a hunter?
Yes 31 79.49%
No 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,526,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Jay, what is your point?

Really, what is your point with this thread? curious why some think hunting is unacceptable but eating farm raised is cool

To stir a pot? yes

Put down people who don't want to date hunters? where have I done that?

Make fun of people who disagree with you? sure, but I'm running low on jokes

Because if you think posting videos of factory farming is going to change people's minds and make them suddenly admire hunters, you're going to be disappointed.
So what you're really trying to say is you enjoy hunting, but dislike hunting videos?

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
The dude is curious! Nothing wrong with curiousity! Up until I met my wife, I couldn't find a gal that enjoyed rodeo (me as a roper) or some other things that I liked to do. Boy did I get LUCKY with her!!

Quote:
Jay, what is your point?

Really, what is your point with this thread?

To stir a pot?

Put down people who don't want to date hunters?

Make fun of people who disagree with you?

Because if you think posting videos of factory farming is going to change people's minds and make them suddenly admire hunters, you're going to be disappointed.

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Jay, deer live in periphery. Look it up.

But thanks for the vegetarian reinforcement. Not that the videos will make hunters any less twisted for their enjoyment of killing, but it may open a few eyes about the cruelty of factory farming.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
To hunt is a personal choice. I make the personal choice to steer clear of a "man" who takes pleasure in killing an innocent creature - watching it suffer and die while he high fives his buddies. It's some kind of sick high that people get from it and I think it's highly disturbing.

You can argue all you want that meat processing, etc, is cruel in itself - and I agree - so why add another layer of cruelty by going hunting. Is the suffering of the animals in slaughter houses not enough? You have to create the suffering by your own hand? Yeah, that makes sense.

"That's all I have to say about that."
I grew up with hunting. Married a hunter. My sons are hunters. None of them ever took pleasure in the death of their prey. I dont hunt but I have raised rabbits and chickens for meat and never took pleasure in smashing bunny heads or breaking chicken necks.

creatures are neither innocent nor guilty. They just are.

If you kill it the right way it does not suffer. If you allow overpopulation you will soon see disease and famine. If you have ever seen an animal die from starvation you will know what suffering looks like. Is it not cruel to deprive wildlife of habitat, clean water and food supply?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
(I figured a thread of it's own would be better instead of hijacking another thread)
Geez, all this time I thought that was the hijacked old thread! What fun is a thread of its own?!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
LIKE THIS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I grew up with hunting. Married a hunter. My sons are hunters. None of them ever took pleasure in the death of their prey. I dont hunt but I have raised rabbits and chickens for meat and never took pleasure in smashing bunny heads or breaking chicken necks.

creatures are neither innocent nor guilty. They just are.

If you kill it the right way it does not suffer. If you allow overpopulation you will soon see disease and famine. If you have ever seen an animal die from starvation you will know what suffering looks like. Is it not cruel to deprive wildlife of habitat, clean water and food supply?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
To hunt is a personal choice. I make the personal choice to steer clear of a "man" who takes pleasure in killing an innocent creature - watching it suffer and die while he high fives his buddies. It's some kind of sick high that people get from it and I think it's highly disturbing.

You can argue all you want that meat processing, etc, is cruel in itself - and I agree - so why add another layer of cruelty by going hunting. Is the suffering of the animals in slaughter houses not enough? You have to create the suffering by your own hand? Yeah, that makes sense.

"That's all I have to say about that."
Not all men take pleasure in killing an innocent creature. Some do it because they love to eat the meat of a deer or a bear. Men have hunted from the beginnings of time. What if we were still living in those times when they didn't have stores to purchase meat? What would you do? Not eat it? We are just too spoiled nowdays. We have everything served on the platter for us. Here, you want meat? Here it is for you, already cut, chopped in pieces, packaged and put on a shelf for you. You don't have to think about how it got there.
IMO, there is no additional layer of cruelty to hunting. Hunters do not put animals through horrible tortures before they die.

Last edited by max's mama; 03-03-2010 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,526,544 times
Quote:
Deer live in periphery. Look it up.
Great, I'm sure you can explain why they are so over populated in places like Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, and etc.

Because there sure is a lack of habitat... or could it be that they have endless food supplies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Geez, all this time I thought that was the hijacked old thread! What fun is a thread of its own?!
Nope, according to TOS I would be in violation if I continued on with the other thread. I would prefer to avoid my 4th infraction in as little as 2 weeks.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
Quote:
Yes, yes. The argument many spout is "Deer are starving! Gotta cull them!"

Right, and deer starve because humans create more periphery, which is their habitat, so they overbreed. Meanwhile, humans do their damndest to eradicate predators. Witness the barbaric wolf-hunting in Idaho.
I'm not a hunter and never will be. It's just not my thing but I think there needs to be a balance. Hunters don't just go out and kill whatever they want. They have to get licenses and such and without them there are consequences such as getting fined. I disagree that they are trying to "eradicate predators".

Is it barbaric? That's your opinion. I see your point about thinking that some of these hunters take pleasure into killing these animals. Some of them probably do. I don't think I could ever do it but talking to my husband about it when we were dating, he learned a lot of life lessons about the circle of life, bonded with his grandpa, can tell you a lot about nature and has a true respect for the wilderness. Are there other ways to do it to learn the same lessons? Sure, but that's the way he was brought up and I respect that.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:21 PM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
But I would have huge problems with hunting for sport, for trophies, and with killing non-food animals (like cats, wolves, bears).
What? Those arent food animals?

Actually, most people who take trophies (mounts, antlers) also eat the meat.
I have to say I support hunting for sport. I live near a couple hunting lodges that participate in canned hunts. That is what I find disgusting. Might as well go shoot a cow in the pasture. If there is not challenge, why do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships