Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:28 PM

337 posts, read 663,806 times

Advertisements

There are several threads here dealing w/ various aspects of Marriage and the many/different views on it today.

Is there a way to save Marriage? Not the traditional type many of us grew up knowing. Marriage or should I say companionship has evolved it's no longer the one bread winner type of household, nor are the dynamics remotely the same as years ago, even in the past decade they have greatly changed from same sex marriages, to cohaditation vs marraige.

Some other topics have spoke about Divorce rates being crazy high. The consensus on why this has come to pass has ultimately boiled down to unrealistic expectations of ones partner, and the fact that Divorce is just as easy as getting married today, along w/ there being a change in socail perception on the stigma attached to being a Divorcee.

A trend that is starting to emerge unanimously between the sexes is the Marrying later in life is becoming a better option for some. We are beginning to see more young people indeed put off getting married & starting families for career oportunities or wanting to live life & see what is all out there.

I am one of those people, now in my mid/late 30's, I just became interested in the idea of Marriage and family. Before recent years I was far to busy and had way to many things I wanted to do in life to even consider settling down.
I'm thinking and hoping that young people today start moving towards this trend even more as from what I've read those marrying later in life instead waiting to be more stable seem to have a greater success rate.

So America What Say U?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 02:30 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
First of all, people who marry later in life do have lower divorce rates. Other factors which make divorce statistically likelier are religion, lack of education, class disparity between the parties and poverty.

And no, getting a divorce isn't as easy as getting married. Not even close. Not even an uncontested divorce.

Moreover, American divorce rates aren't absurdly high. They are comparable to divorce rates in other liberal democracies. In fact, if you express the divorce rate as a percentage of marriages, we are not even the highest. In fact, we are not even in the top five. (Source.) By contrast, poor and totalitarian countries have very low divorce rates. Italy and Greece are notable exceptions to this rule, but these are countries where it's much more acceptable than in the US (at least for a man) to just move out and live with a mistress, without going through the formality of a divorce. Generally, though, the more religiously conservative and politically repressive a country is, the lower its divorce rate.

High divorce rates are a function of many morally neutral factors, of which the biggest is, simply, skyrocketing life expectancy (and maintaining health longer). If you look at that list I referenced, you'll also notice a correlation between life expectancy and the divorce rate. Countries with longer life expectancies have higher divorce rates; countries with lower life expectancies have lower divorce rates. Other factors include the standard of living, wealth and women's political and financial independence.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Yes..is that because its better...or because they are dead before they are bored?

Another thing I always hear from the older crowd "pick your battles" speech.

I have to think that though energy goes into a lot of other things too...Like a former cheater may think:

"wow she is hot..i wanna **************....but who knows what she has, what if...bah...forget it..where is my nice car I can rub down instead"

Old 04-13-2010, 05:05 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
I think you're very mature in you're thinking. I was supposed to wed this year but my fiancee and I decided to put it off a couple years to save money and let her finish up school. We're in our late 20's. It'll be early 30's when we get married. So many of my friends are already married through there early and mid 20's. A few of them have even divorced already. In my opinion too many people marry without discussing everything that needs to be talked about before going into marriage. Like you said...divorce is just as easy as marriage now...and is probably just as expensive.

This is not to say all people who marry earlier are doomed to fail...I would just say its not for everyone...especially as the divorce rates seemed to indicate:P

Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
First of all, people who marry later in life do have lower divorce rates. Other factors which make divorce statistically likelier are religion, lack of education, class disparity between the parties and poverty.

And no, getting a divorce isn't as easy as getting married. Not even close. Not even an uncontested divorce.

Moreover, American divorce rates aren't absurdly high. They are comparable to divorce rates in other liberal democracies. In fact, if you express the divorce rate as a percentage of marriages, we are not even the highest. In fact, we are not even in the top five. (Source.) By contrast, poor and totalitarian countries have very low divorce rates. Italy and Greece are notable exceptions to this rule, but these are countries where it's much more acceptable than in the US (at least for a man) to just move out and live with a mistress, without going through the formality of a divorce. Generally, though, the more religiously conservative and politically repressive a country is, the lower its divorce rate. Again the thread wasn't about Divorce it was about people should wait til later in life when they are more mature, and more settled to get married. But guess u got fixated on something that struck an interest w/ u.

High divorce rates are a function of many morally neutral factors, of which the biggest is, simply, skyrocketing life expectancy (and maintaining health longer). If you look at that list I referenced, you'll also notice a correlation between life expectancy and the divorce rate. Countries with longer life expectancies have higher divorce rates; countries with lower life expectancies have lower divorce rates. Other factors include the standard of living, wealth and women's political and financial independence.
U kinda went the wrong way w/ the topic, as the topic wasn't so much about Divorce as it was about people getting married later in life.

W/ regard to Divorce being "EASIER" I believe I said it's more socially acceptable in todays world than years ago, and yes w/ reference to ease it is indeed easier to divorce today than decades ago, in todays society u dont have family friends, relatives, etc hounding u or threatening u to stay married.

Your correlation between the US Divorce rate compared to other countries is not my concern. The Divorce rate does indeed approach almost 60% in the US so there is no disputing that fact, and would be higher if certain types of relationships would be allowed to wed, or if u counted cohabitation.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I think you're very mature in you're thinking. I was supposed to wed this year but my fiancee and I decided to put it off a couple years to save money and let her finish up school. We're in our late 20's. It'll be early 30's when we get married. So many of my friends are already married through there early and mid 20's. A few of them have even divorced already. In my opinion too many people marry without discussing everything that needs to be talked about before going into marriage. Like you said...divorce is just as easy as marriage now...and is probably just as expensive.

This is not to say all people who marry earlier are doomed to fail...I would just say its not for everyone...especially as the divorce rates seemed to indicate:P
I believe u got my point I was trying to make ulike the first responder. I was trying to show a correlation between those that marry later having a better chance of success vs those who may marry earlier cause it was the next step to take in a relationship. "The Next Step" is a term I've never fully understood in dating terms, I mean as if there is a certain outline or manual for how we are to go about the dating/marrying process. But again I guess this is just another reason why there are so many external pressures and expectations on relationships these days.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:22 PM

355 posts, read 616,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
So America What Say U?
Alright, alright, i won't touch this.
But this is discrimination!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
There are several threads here dealing w/ various aspects of Marriage and the many/different views on it today.

Is there a way to save Marriage? Not the traditional type many of us grew up knowing. Marriage or should I say companionship has evolved it's no longer the one bread winner type of household, nor are the dynamics remotely the same as years ago, even in the past decade they have greatly changed from same sex marriages, to cohaditation vs marraige.

Some other topics have spoke about Divorce rates being crazy high. The consensus on why this has come to pass has ultimately boiled down to unrealistic expectations of ones partner, and the fact that Divorce is just as easy as getting married today, along w/ there being a change in socail perception on the stigma attached to being a Divorcee.

A trend that is starting to emerge unanimously between the sexes is the Marrying later in life is becoming a better option for some. We are beginning to see more young people indeed put off getting married & starting families for career oportunities or wanting to live life & see what is all out there.

I am one of those people, now in my mid/late 30's, I just became interested in the idea of Marriage and family. Before recent years I was far to busy and had way to many things I wanted to do in life to even consider settling down.
I'm thinking and hoping that young people today start moving towards this trend even more as from what I've read those marrying later in life instead waiting to be more stable seem to have a greater success rate.

So America What Say U?
Give this a solid read and then tell us what you think:

Don’t Marry

Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
A story on NPR this morning noted that divorce rates typically go down during an economic recession, due to the cost of getting divorced. When the economy picks up, you see a spike in separations/divorces, apparently.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A story on NPR this morning noted that divorce rates typically go down during an economic recession, due to the cost of getting divorced. When the economy picks up, you see a spike in separations/divorces, apparently.
I've heard the same from several sources in the last 6 months. Fortunately there's a bill working it's way through congress, as well as several states, that will allow spouses to cohabitate and still be able to file for no-fault divorce. Currently the usually way the states go about it in no-fault cases is to live apart and not have sex for a year. The new laws would still have the no sex part, but you'd be able to live under the same roof at least to weather this financial storm until things pick back up. Seems reasonable too. Only question was whether or not there has to be some legal declaration at some point to initiate the year with the courts. In Maryland they call it a limited divorce, which is basically a legal separation, but currently the state still requires that separation. Haven't heard anything on the bills' progressions though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships