Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:47 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times

Advertisements

I helped a friend who found out today that her marriage is over. She needed some moral support and some help cleaning/organizing/getting rid of stuff, etc. I won't go into details here, but it sounds like she is in for some tough times and this is incredibly bad timing for her.

I listen to other married friends when they are having problems with their husbands. I get to hear all the bad stuff and try to help them figure out how much, if any, effort to put into their marriages.

I feel like a relationship counselor, but how the hell can I give advice when I can't even find a man of my own?!?! It really makes me stop and think about my own life and my own happiness. I usually end up coming home and being thankful the only other beings here are my dogs. It makes me think that I will probably be single the rest of my life and maybe that's for the best.

It's just kind of sad because I want a relationship with a good man I can have a nice life with. However, the more I try to help my friends the more I wonder if there's even a point.

Anyone else deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I helped a friend who found out today that her marriage is over. She needed some moral support and some help cleaning/organizing/getting rid of stuff, etc. I won't go into details here, but it sounds like she is in for some tough times and this is incredibly bad timing for her.

I listen to other married friends when they are having problems with their husbands. I get to hear all the bad stuff and try to help them figure out how much, if any, effort to put into their marriages.

I feel like a relationship counselor, but how the hell can I give advice when I can't even find a man of my own?!?! It really makes me stop and think about my own life and my own happiness. I usually end up coming home and being thankful the only other beings here are my dogs. It makes me think that I will probably be single the rest of my life and maybe that's for the best.

It's just kind of sad because I want a relationship with a good man I can have a nice life with. However, the more I try to help my friends the more I wonder if there's even a point.

Anyone else deal with this?

Do you ever notice that some just want to complain and whine about their husbands? Like leaving the dirty clothes on the floor makes him a complete jerk or something? And you're thinking..."Gee, if I had a guy who cared about me and had one sloppy habit, I would laugh at it."

Sometimes, I wonder if they just want to complain, like complaining that the BMW isn't roomy enough now.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:54 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
All the time. I have had friends get married and would rarely even have the kindness to return phone calls or even ask how I'm doing. Then when the crap hits the fan in their life they expect me to drop what I'm doing and listen to them...

Old 03-21-2010, 07:54 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,436 times
Nope, I want that white picket fence one day.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Yes! I can relate. I swore that marriage was a bad thing, in my younger days , just because I witnessed so many marriages that were bad, and I thought back then....I will never get married!

You will grow and learn that every one is an individual, and not every marriage out there is doomed!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Do you ever notice that some just want to complain and whine about their husbands? Like leaving the dirty clothes on the floor makes him a complete jerk or something? And you're thinking..."Gee, if I had a guy who cared about me and had one sloppy habit, I would laugh at it."

Sometimes, I wonder if they just want to complain, like complaining that the BMW isn't roomy enough now.
Yeah, I notice that. Sometimes I also think they really shouldn't be complaining as they are the ones out of line. I'd like to think if I had a man I wouldn't treat him the way some of these women do!

Usually, though, it's more serious stuff that goes beyond just annoying complaints, things that could (or do) end a marriage. It just makes me wonder why I bother caring that I haven't found anyone yet and maybe there really isn't someone for everyone.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:01 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
I know that I've been put off marriage from my own experience. Not because my ex is bad or we had a nasty divorce, he and I are still friends. We have been having a devil of a time getting our divorce because we get along so well it hasn't been granted. I hate that the government decides when your marriage is over and I just don't like the idea of giving the government that kind of control over my relationship again. If it's over, I want to say it's over and move on with my life.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Yes! I can relate. I swore that marriage was a bad thing, in my younger days , just because I witnessed so many marriages that were bad, and I thought back then....I will never get married!

You will grow and learn that every one is an individual, and not every marriage out there is doomed!
Well, then, I need to find some friends that are happily married! LOL

Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Yeah, I notice that. Sometimes I also think they really shouldn't be complaining as they are the ones out of line. I'd like to think if I had a man I wouldn't treat him the way some of these women do!
Well, you don't know exactly what's going on behind closed doors, do you?!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
All the time. I have had friends get married and would rarely even have the kindness to return phone calls or even ask how I'm doing. Then when the crap hits the fan in their life they expect me to drop what I'm doing and listen to them...
I find that many times I barely say anything in the conversation. I try to be supportive because I really do care about these people, but sometimes I wonder if they care about me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships