Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:45 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times

Advertisements

I think it has to do more the way you were raised than region. People think those from the south always have good manners but working for a military installation, you'd be suprised that the assumption isn't always correct.
My parent's died when I was rather young, soon after, I was emancipated so I've evolved based on whom I spent my time with and my own perception and understanding of how things should be.
For me, it's polite to use Sir and Ma'am when speaking to older folks, people my age I'm using their first name. When my kids were little I allowed their friends to call me whatever their parents had taught them. Being called "Mrs. So and So" always made me feel old.
I have other friends kids that refer to me as "Miss Andrea" which is totally fine and preferred these days. I pretty much go with the flow. My manners however don't stop at addressing and speaking to people. I say excuse me when scooting by someoene, I say please and thank you, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
When my kids were little I allowed their friends to call me whatever their parents had taught them.
I was never a stickler for my kids' friends calling me Ms. I really rather them call me by my first name, some called me mom, but when they called me Mrs. so and so, it made me think of Eddie Haskell on leave it to beaver.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I work for a tax preparation company. I always address our clients by their last names--however, their last names can be hard to say as well. I, in fact, asked one gentleman how his name was pronounced, and told him it sounded Slavic (it was Hungarian). His first name--Richard--would have been easier to say, but not as professional.

I've also never liked addressing managers by their first names. Mr. Bigshot just seems to roll of my tongue easier than Jomama...especially if another person in the building shares the name. They page for "Tim" and I want to answer, even though 90 times out of ten it's the manager guy. So what happens? I ignore the pages, and then when they actually DO call me? I'm ignoring it too.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
i was born and raised in NJ by an italian family and we DEFINITELY used Mr and Mrs "signora/signore" unless it was someone close, we would call them aunt or uncle...NEVER by their first names. i Still cant bring myself to call older people by their first names, unless they ask me to.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Plus, in the military, we never used a person's first name--for anything. It was, "Hey, Jones!", instead of "Hey, John!"

Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Since CD members are from all over the U.S. and some other countries, I thought I'd ask this question here...

I'm an adult who has had and displayed manners throughout my life... while some people with different backgrounds consider it odd, others get very negative about it...

One example is I've always addressed much-older people, people I don't know, business contacts, & similar, as Mr/Mrs/Ms and their last name... I consider it nothing more nor less than due respect...
I've found many people in rural areas don't do this, and those in the inner-city don't either...
so I'm wondering what you all think about the subject.
I think it's become less common due to the less formal relationships we develop between our elders and strangers.

Now the elders are like regular Joes. You view them much like your peers. And strangers and business associates are pretty much the same.

But formalities are not dead. Just less common in some parts. The south still has it a lot.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I work for a university, so usually when I deal with faculty (and I'm contacting them,) I start out with "Dr. Soandso". 9 times out of 10 they'll say, "please, it's Steve." But I take the cue from them.

I'm also working with some friends of my parents to plan their 50th anniversary party this summer. My mom's best friend insists that I call her "Diane" and it just feels wrong. I've known this woman for 30 years, and to call her anything other than "Mrs. B" is just weird.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-24-2010 at 09:26 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
I've had the double whammy of being raised in the 60's in NY by an Italian family, and having spent most of my formative years involved with martial arts where, like the military, you NEVER address anyone except in formal terms.

It's "Sir" and "Ma'am" for me right down the line.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,216 times
Since I believe all humans are equal, I personally do not use the sir/maam or Mr/Ms/Mrs unless in a business or other professional situation.

I will do it if I do not know their name however.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:34 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
Since I believe all humans are equal...
Some are just more equal than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships