Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:58 PM

42 posts, read 162,340 times

Advertisements

Im just wondering how many 30something people are out there who have never been married and who have no children.

Im in a happy relationship with my current boyfriend, who also has never been married/no kids..I guess we are the professional type, we travel, have other single/married friends some with kids,some without, enjoy weekend getaways, dinners out, lounge/clubs, sporting events..Anyway recently I happened to be at one of my friends babyshower surrounded by women who were all married when they were in their early 20's some now with tween/teen aged children and although I wasnt made out to feel uncomfortable the conversation surrounding me basically said in a nutshell referenced that popular statement that a woman is more prone to die in a terrorist attack than get married and have kids after a certain age of say 40. Im 34, and happy right now but yes would like to get married and have kids before Im 40. Any women OR men feel pressure from peers/ parents in this regard????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 05:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
I got married when I was almost 31, but then I'll go years between having relationships too. I'm in no hurry. I've never been interested in having kids, and I know that there are others out there like me. My stepbrother, for example--he and his wife never wanted kids, and they do not have them.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:13 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
In this day in age it takes a bit longer to earn a salary that actually lets u do some things with your life so waiting aint a bad idea. Kids are pricey especially when it becomes more than one.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:16 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,122,326 times
One of my female friends is 31, professional level/college-educated with no children. She wants to get married but kids aren't for her. I respect that because you have to have a lot of patience for children.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,724 times
I'm 31, not married with no kids. I actually don't even want a bf and I don't have one. I don't ever want kids. I don't feel any pressure from anyone or society.

Last edited by jackie100; 03-28-2010 at 05:27 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 05:25 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I have a theory about this. Babies have windows of oppportunity in which they are open and eager to transition to certain behaviors...feeding themselves, dressing themselves, toilet training, etc. If you miss the windows, they are resistant to change.
As adults, we are not much different. We can comform in our 20's to marriage and child rearing, or we can miss the window. Once a woman has achieved financial independance, what use has she for a husband? Some people are just more comfortable being independant than they are having to compromise in order to build a life with someone else.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,639 times
I constantly feel the pressures of society, and I am so glad someone else feels them too! Well, not glad, but you know what I mean. It's comforting to know I am not the only one.

I am 30 and people are forever asking me when my boyfriend and I are getting married or having kids - the pressure from my parents is the worst!!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:21 PM

61 posts, read 128,540 times
Who cares whether it is normal or not . Everyone has a different definition for what normalcy is . You just choose your life path based on what you what want , not on someone else's view of what they think is normal .

Old 03-28-2010, 06:22 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
I get it all the time ... questions on when I am going to get married & have children.

From parents/siblings & friends.... one friend even asked "don't you want one of these" as she was holding her daughter...when I said "not really, not now anyway" she responded with "What's wrong with you!?" .... I literally bit my tongue (and haven't made an effort to see her since).

I don't understand the fascination with new parents to project their life onto others...

Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff21xy View Post
Im just wondering how many 30something people are out there who have never been married and who have no children.

Im in a happy relationship with my current boyfriend, who also has never been married/no kids..I guess we are the professional type, we travel, have other single/married friends some with kids,some without, enjoy weekend getaways, dinners out, lounge/clubs, sporting events..Anyway recently I happened to be at one of my friends babyshower surrounded by women who were all married when they were in their early 20's some now with tween/teen aged children and although I wasnt made out to feel uncomfortable the conversation surrounding me basically said in a nutshell referenced that popular statement that a woman is more prone to die in a terrorist attack than get married and have kids after a certain age of say 40. Im 34, and happy right now but yes would like to get married and have kids before Im 40. Any women OR men feel pressure from peers/ parents in this regard????
Hi tiff21xy

I would say so since fertility at that age is a hail marry for a down syndrome special ed student. You want marriage and kids and you are single at 34? You are already furiously passing your ability to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships