Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,438,326 times

Advertisements

I'm a guy, 30 years old and have never been married and zero kids. I decided to put off all that stuff and go back to college about 4 years ago. Is that weird??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,920,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I'm a guy, 30 years old and have never been married and zero kids. I decided to put off all that stuff and go back to college about 4 years ago. Is that weird??
No not at all I'm in college at the age of 32. There is a 46 yr old woman in my one college class.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:27 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,215,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Not for a guy it's not. You could go back to college and travel for 20 years and you'd still be able to get a lady pregnant if you wanted a family.

You bastards.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,863,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Actually I think a lot more people are getting married mid to late 30's. Then having kids later. My aunt is 42 with a 5 yr old. While I'm 32 with a 8yr old.
You're quoting anecdotes. The statistics show a clear trend. Only 4% of white males over 60 were never married. 31% now get into their mid 30s without marriage. Sure, some will eventually get married but 27%. I think not!

Besides, many late marriages are by divorced men marrying never married women. Men have a much easier time remarrying. This is probably because they were the target of women seeking relationships when in their 20s and despite the fact that they didn't have what it takes for a successful marriage, they still have what it took to attract women. Additionally, women seem to have a thing about a guy whose been "vetted" and while they may not have learned anything about being a better husband, they ARE better at covering up their deficiencies!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I may not be old enough to remember what things were like before television, but I do remember what they were like before the internet. The same argument you make about TV I could make about the internet, which is that we're bombarded by more and more images of beautiful people with perfect bodies causing the average person to put more of a premium on looks. I reject that argument because, as shallow as people can be, I don't see it really being any worse than it was when I was young. The only real change I see is that people are more candid about their shallowness. I don't have kids, but I'd rather they deal with the world the way it is than try to shelter them from it or wish for "a simpler time."
TV, as it changed American society between 1955 and 1995, has little in common with the internet. Sure, they both have a screen.....but that's about it.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
The pressure for women is unbelievable. According to my ticking biological clock I only have 5 more years to decide if I want to have kids, while men in their 50's and 60's are out there still making babies!!!
You're really overstating this. Very few older men have what it takes to attract a younger, fertile woman.

In fact, this is so rare that it is considered news. I imagine that this is why you believe it to be an "epidemic".

Nice to know that I'm a potential bastard, however!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,655,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
TV, as it changed American society between 1955 and 1995, has little in common with the internet. Sure, they both have a screen.....but that's about it.
Wrong. The comparison makes perfect sense. You're the one saying that TV presents a constant bias against anyone who isn't good looking. You could make the same argument about the internet. Both bombard us with images of attractive people. You sound like one of these cranky old guys wishing for a simpler time. As Archie Bunker sang, those were the days.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,037 times
I'm 44, my boyfriend is 49 - neither of us married or had kids. We've had lives full of things that people with kids simply never get to experience. We love foreign travel, spontaneous weekend trips, volunteer work, spontaneous sex, having money, having time to garden/read/relax, spontaneous evenings out. We just never found birth control all that tricky.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 PM

354 posts, read 749,893 times
at 44 u still use birth control?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:54 PM

42 posts, read 162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Not for a guy it's not. You could go back to college and travel for 20 years and you'd still be able to get a lady pregnant if you wanted a family.

You bastards.
hahaa...Anthony Quinn ring a bell???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships