Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:29 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkumat View Post
However, there are only two roles, in which a woman can actually feel as one: daughter or mother. And once a woman hits a certain age, she must trasfer from one to another. So I say, almost every woman wants to have a child, whether she realizes that, or not.

Are you serious?! These are not the only two roles in which a woman can be appreciated. This isn't 1940.

And I know plenty of women who don't want children. Just because we are biologically able does not mean it is our destiny to procreate.

Welcome to 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Are you serious?! These are not the only two roles in which a woman can be appreciated. This isn't 1940.

And I know plenty of women who don't want children. Just because we are biologically able does not mean it is our destiny to procreate.

Welcome to 2010.
My thoughts exactly.

I dare you to post as a thread on this forum that those are the only 2 roles for women, Shkumat! My guess is you'll never hear the end of it.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM

355 posts, read 615,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
My thoughts exactly.

I dare you to post as a thread on this forum that those are the only 2 roles for women, Shkumat! My guess is you'll never hear the end of it.
Hm, why not. Let's give it a try.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 PM

541 posts, read 1,340,882 times
dear vanilla...i followed your post and asnwers...it looks like you have a middle life crisis and you are very confused..because you like travelling,i urgently suggest you to make a trip to italy..i am sure,the italian men will make you see the world with other eyes and make the right decision for you...i also advice you to read elisabeth gilbert.."eat,pray,love"..make a journey like she did and you will sure heal...good luck...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
dear vanilla...i followed your post and asnwers...it looks like you have a middle life crisis...
I'm 30...

Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 PM

355 posts, read 615,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I'm 30...
Hahahaha.
I didn't say "it's time to settle down" for no reason.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Shkumat - maybe the OP has no desire to have kids ever. Plus her most recent previous post was about wanting to travel. Pretty sure a kid would put a kink in those plans. And besides, you just have a negative attitude about a 35 y/o women dating and finding happiness. Kids aren't the answer.

OP - I have a friend who was a serial dater - one long term relationship to another - often with NO time in between. I still can't figure out how she did it. I personally believe that everyone, men and women, should live alone at some point in their formative years. No roommates, no live-in SO. You learn a lot about yourself but more importantly you learn that you can rely on yourself and provide for yourself. I find it rewarding.

That said, it sounds like you missed out on that. It's never too late. Maybe you need some time for self discovery. I didn't follow your last thread til the end so I'm not sure what you decided about your SO, but the combination of topics here leads me to believe you need to make yourself a priority.

Agree 100%

Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
Can never being alone have a negative effect?

Yes and no. In your particular situation, yes because you started being dependent on relationships/men at a very early age. You didn't give yourself time to mature/grow into your own before getting in those relationships and you hadn't form a true identity. That's what makes it negative for you. But there are some women who jump from one relationship to the next but they have developed their own identity and continue to maintain their independence while in a relationship. So never being alone for them isn't a problem because they never loose themselves in the relationship. They know who they are and do not compromise themselves to be in a relationship or to have a man. So in those circumstances its not a negative.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Can never being alone have a negative effect?

Yes and no. In your particular situation, yes because you started being dependent on relationships/men at a very early age. You didn't give yourself time to mature/grow into your own before getting in those relationships and you hadn't form a true identity. That's what makes it negative for you. But there are some women who jump from one relationship to the next but they have developed their own identity and continue to maintain their independence while in a relationship. So never being alone for them isn't a problem because they never loose themselves in the relationship. They know who they are and do not compromise themselves to be in a relationship or to have a man. So in those circumstances its not a negative.
I guess in my situation it was negative then. I was one of those women who had to have a man around, and basically thought I was nobody if I wasn't in a relationship. If I broke up with someone, the next guy who came along and showed me any attention, I would just latch onto - sometimes even whether I liked him or not I am ashamed to admit.

I wanted to rush things, but over the last few years my opinion on that has completely changed. I really wish I had slowed down and enjoyed life a bit more instead of doing what I thought I should be. My 20's are gone and time is something you can never get back.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times
In my opinion, yes it's negative. I am the opposite of you. I have always been alone for most of my life. Moved out at 18 and since then never accepted once cent from my family and have been single for most of my life. As a result I am extremely strong mentally and very independent. It's important to be comfortable with yourself and to be comfortable alone. You don't need another person to complete you.

A lot of times when women are with a man for a long time they lose their sense of identity or their identity becomes melded with the guy's. Or she becomes "his gf" etc but never her own person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships