Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:05 PM

239 posts, read 596,248 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer to just get to know one person, but I've learned from experience that for me, it's best to keep my options open until I really get to know the person. People, unfortunately, aren't always what they appear to be on the surface. For example, I'll be dating someone. A month or six weeks into it, I get asked out by someone else. I politely turn them down, because I'm already seeing someone.

Two weeks later, the first person stops taking my calls. Or I find out they're married, or have an out of town SO...or there may be something wrong with them that would be a dealbreaker. If I'd kept my options open, then I could at least be getting to know the second person, instead of putting all my eggs into one basket so soon.

I know that some people think that dating more than one person is deceptive or what not, but I don't. In fact, I assume that anyone I'm seeing is at least keeping their options open for awhile. For all they know, I could be a lying, cheating jerk, and I'd expect them to be cautious until they really got to know me.

What do you think about dating more than one person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,655 times
I think if you're not exclusive and are just casually dating...seeing more than one person is normal and/or expected. Depends on the person though. But if you're only seeing someone once a week or less, why wouldn't you go on a few other dates. However if you are seeing someone alsmost daily....probably pretty tricky.

Until a guy and I have the 'exclusive or gf/bf' talk, I kind of assume they may be dating other people....more so so that I don't get super attached early on.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Well, back in my dating days, I always kept my options opened. I wouldn't jump into a serious relationship, until I'm 100% sure that he is the best choice.
I think if people have this option, (well, not everyone has a line around the block waiting for them...), they shouldn't jump into dating one person exclusively for some time. Especially if they are in their 20s.

PS: the key is to be upfront and open. You don't want to mislead anyone into thinking he is the only one in the picture, but he doesn't necessarily need to know all the details of your dating life.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:14 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
One person at a time for me. I also would not date someone who insisted on seeing other people while seeing me. Either you want me or you don't. Yes, it is that simple.

I gave them about 2 dates to figure it out. If after that, they still wanted to date around, then they were free to do so - on their own.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
No. I'm a one-woman man. I want to concentrate on one person and one person alone. If it doesn't work out, THEN other avenues can be pursued.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:17 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Yup.

My wife's not so hot for the idea, though.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:48 PM

239 posts, read 596,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
One person at a time for me. I also would not date someone who insisted on seeing other people while seeing me. Either you want me or you don't. Yes, it is that simple.

I gave them about 2 dates to figure it out. If after that, they still wanted to date around, then they were free to do so - on their own.
I disagree. I don't think it's that simple at all. After two dates, I'd hardly have enough information about you or anyone else to make the decision of whether or not I "want them".

I may have enough info to know whether or not I want to keep getting to know them, but that's as far as it goes.

And anyone who did tell me "you either want me or you don't" after two dates, would promptly get dumped.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:57 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Casual, no-sex dating? Sure. But I think after several dates (or sometimes just two!) most people cross a line where they just can't think of anyone else but one person. And if you feel like that, then why bother with anyone else.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:00 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
I disagree. I don't think it's that simple at all. After two dates, I'd hardly have enough information about you or anyone else to make the decision of whether or not I "want them".
This is because it hasn't happened to you yet. If you are lucky, it will. It's happened to me several times. My current boyfriend and I were hooked on each other after the first time we met.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,171,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post

this. i used to not mind dating lots of people but now im trying to take my time and get to really know one person at a time. if i go out on a few dates with someone then im not seeing someone else. may lead to me losing a few weeks when we break up but thats not the end of the world. not like i constantly need to have someone in queue or to always be dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships