Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:17 AM

614 posts, read 1,376,189 times

Advertisements

I like this line from aqua0

Ask married men why they proprosed. Most of them say it's because if they don't, they'll lose their girlfriends. There are very few men who even want to be married, and the ones that do, do so at gunpoint.

I'll take option B. Loose the Girl friend, I have before and I can do it again. I just love these threads lol if you search my name here you'll see the other posts I made on similiar issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:23 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am reading this to mean that you believe that a free-thinking, nonconformist, free spirit of a woman cannot be married. In other words, she has to conform to your ideals in order to be a nonconformist. Seems paradoxical to me.

I meant conforming to society's expectation of being married to be a real woman. I don't mean conforming to what I said.

I didn't say this type of woman CANNOT be married. I meant that kind of woman is OKAY not being married. She may go ahead and get married if the man wants to, but she won't NEED marriage and pressure her man to marry her, or break up with him as an ultimatum if he doesn't.

There may be other types of women who are okay with not being married; I'm just not aware of them.

Hope I've clarified.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually...I know many many married couples (including my parents, and my boyfriends parents) who are perfectly content and happy with being married. It's not just a 'woman's fairytale', some couples honestly and truly want to be married.

I, fact, my best friend's boyfriend has been BEGGING her to get married for going on 7 years now...and she doesn't want to yet. My boyfriend has asked me to marry him multiple times in the last few years and I've told him 'maybe'. He's the one who wants to get married, not me.

If we ever decide to have kids (which he wants, and I don't) we will get married... or when he goes into the Air Force officially we'll get married as well.

Not all relationships are the same

Thank you for point that out. You're right. There are definitely men who want to be married, though it may seem to a lot of women fewer and fewer of them exist. My father remarried after the divorce and he loves being married. He preaches us to get married all the time. A friend of mine has lived with her bf of 15 yrs, and his proposal is still good. She just can't cross the line. But he won't leave.

You notice that women will eventually leave a man who won't marry her, but I have never heard of a man leaving a woman who won't. This tells you who wants marriage more.

I guess I wanted to support the OP that he is not alone in not wanting to be married. Marriage is an option only, and just because it doesn't fit his life's agenda does not mean he should feel like an outcast or guilty about it.

I feel I can get just as much out of life unmarried as any married woman, if not more. There are so many fulfilling things to do as a single person that a married person is not able to due to marriage constraints. I don't care how many married people tell me how free they are and how much their husbands/wives allow them to do whatever they want. They have more constraints than I do.

That being said, I also realize marriage offers the type of companionship that is non-existent as a single. However, you can also get that companionship with a boyfriend (i.e., my friend who bought the house together with her boyfriend). So marriage, again, is not necessary.

Last edited by aqua0; 04-21-2010 at 04:40 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post

I'll take option B. Loose the Girl friend, I have before and I can do it again. I just love these threads lol if you search my name here you'll see the other posts I made on similiar issues.

You are not alone. Lots of men do what you do. Society calls them commitment-phobes, but until divorce laws change so fewer men are being bankrupted or have their kids taken away from them, there will be men like you who choose to protect themselves.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM

90 posts, read 182,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
I ask because I don't really ever want to get married. I've made this well known to my gf who says she wants to eventually get married.
I want to say yes, because I know there are women out there that don't care for marriage, and women who wouldn't mind if a man didn't. However, I think you will come across a lot more that will not agree with you. For me personally, I would like the security of being married. (Though I do not live in fairytale land, I understand the woes of infidelity) It's just something that I want for myself and my children someday. Its a personal decision.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 AM

614 posts, read 1,376,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
You are not alone. Lots of men do what you do. Society calls them commitment-phobes, but until divorce laws change so fewer men are being bankrupted or have their kids taken away from them, there will be men like you who choose to protect themselves.
It's like a "Security Umbrella"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships